Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in USA

Driving in USA

Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in USA

Originally Posted by katq
Thanks I will check with them just thought I would ask...it would be good if you can use a UK one for 12 months in CA too
According to this:
http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm

You have 10 days
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I was asking about California: I did try to read on their website and it looked like you can drive on a foreign license if you are visiting, but not if you are a resident....that didn't seem right, but it is probably right...I will check with them anyway,
As you discovered, you can drive on an "out of state" license for up to 12 months if you are visiting California, but you need to get a California license within 10 days of becoming a resident.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but in UK at least you have a year to take the UK test and you can drive on a foreign license until then - with only 30 days you are really stuck and have to do it straight away - not when you have the time for it...
Isn't it 10 days in California? They do ticket for it too.

oops, should've read page 2.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Isn't it 10 days in California? They do ticket for it too.

oops, should've read page 2.
10 days in california omg?!?! they really don't want to risk having UK drivers on their roads do they)
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

10 days in california omg?!?! they really don't want to risk having UK drivers on their roads do they)
Bear in mind the instructions are written primarily from the point of view of someone becoming a resident who likely has a license from another state. In which case the 10 day window to exchange your NY license (for arguments sake) for a CA one is quite reasonable as there is no test involved.

Should there be a more explicit rule for overseas licenses compared to out of state to allow time to schedule a test is an interesting question?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's not as bad as it seems. As they will issue a temporary license once you have filled all the paperwork in and taken your theory test. This is valid for 6 months so you need to take your on the road test in this period. Best to get it done quick though, as its useful to have your real license with your picture on.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but in UK at least you have a year to take the UK test and you can drive on a foreign license until then - with only 30 days you are really stuck and have to do it straight away - not when you have the time for it...
Getting a NJ DL was 2nd on our list of priorities when we moved here. Got our DLs during our first week. Just do it and get it over with...if you already have a UK DL it really is very very easy and it will reduce your auto insurance.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

They'd do the same to me if I moved back, and I'm a native California girl!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hehe...well, does that mean that if people move to another state they automatically lose their license privilege from another state when they get a new one...for example if you lived in CA and had a license, then move somewhere else and get a license from TX for example: do you in that case hold two license or lose the first one? That would seem so complicated, but then it is probably just a matter of formality, although an inconvenience too
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hehe...well, does that mean that if people move to another state they automatically lose their license privilege from the previous state when they replace with with the local one...for example if you lived in CA and had a license, then move somewhere else and get a license from TX for example: do you in that case hold two license or lose the first one and then if you decide to move back to CA you need to re-apply? That would seem so complicated, but then it is probably just a matter of formality..sorry..I think I posted this twice somehow...and I can't delete it now
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe...well, does that mean that if people move to another state they automatically lose their license privilege from another state when they get a new one...for example if you lived in CA and had a license, then move somewhere else and get a license from TX for example: do you in that case hold two license or lose the first one? That would seem so complicated, but then it is probably just a matter of formality, although an inconvenience too
I find it helps not to think of the US as one country...instead it's like Europe...each US state is like a European country. Different laws, regulations, taxation, lifestyle etc.

The answer to your question is yes...your licence is only valid while you are a resident of that state. If you move to another state you have to apply for a new licence. This may or may not involve a written or practical test or both.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I find it helps not to think of the US as one country...instead it's like Europe...each US state is like a European country. Different laws, regulations, taxation, lifestyle etc.

The answer to your question is yes...your licence is only valid while you are a resident of that state. If yiou move state you have to apply for a new licence. This may or may not involve a written or practical test or both.
Hehe...yes, you are quite right...well...except worse than the EU, because at least you can drive on any EU license there)
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hehe...yes, you are quite right...well...except worse than the EU, because at least you can drive on any EU license there)
I didn't realise that...well I have been in the US for 15 years. So you can become a resident of Spain and drive on your UK licence until your UK licence expires? Then of course you will have to apply to the country you are resident in for a new licence.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't realise that...well I have been in the US for 15 years. So you can become a resident of Spain and drive on your UK licence until your UK licence expires? Then of course you will have to apply to the country you are resident in for a new licence.
If for example you live in UK you can either drive for as long as you want on your Spanish license or you can just replace it with a British one. (that is if you don't want to take the test again and you want to have the UK one you replace it). There is no exam for replacing it, and I am pretty sure it is the same in the rest of the EU countries because it is based on common EU regulations
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

If for example you live in UK you can either drive for as long as you want on your Spanish license or you can just replace it with a British one. (that is if you don't want to take the test again and you want to have the UK one you replace it). There is no exam for replacing it, and I am pretty sure it is the same in the rest of the EU countries because it is based on common EU regulations
OK...thank you.

So that sort of blows my theory of comparing US states to Euro countries out of the window.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.