Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in USA

Driving in USA

Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in USA

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to drive in the US on a UK license after getting the spousal immigrant visa. As far as I understand once you are a resident you are required to obtain a driving license from the state where you reside, but will I still be allowed to drive on a UK license for a certain period before I apply for a US one?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in USA

Originally Posted by katq
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to drive in the US on a UK license after getting the spousal immigrant visa. As far as I understand once you are a resident you are required to obtain a driving license from the state where you reside, but will I still be allowed to drive on a UK license for a certain period before I apply for a US one?
It does vary state by state as to how long you can drive on a uk license before having to do the state test. Some State's it's 30 days, some 90 days etc. Best bet is to google for your state's DMV.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the State, here in CT you have to get your US license within 30 days of arriving. Look up your local DMV and they'll be able to tell you
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I was asking about California: I did try to read on their website and it looked like you can drive on a foreign license if you are visiting, but not if you are a resident....that didn't seem right, but it is probably right...I will check with them anyway, I just thought there is one common rule, but it doesn't surprise me that there isn't, since every state has a different license too and you have to change it if you change the state
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I did try to read on their website and it looked like you can drive on a foreign license if you are visiting, but not if you are a resident....that didn't seem right
It makes sense if you look at it this way: if you visit for a vacation you don't need to get a CA license; but once you begin to live there, you need to get one within a certain period of time.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

I am in Florida and it was 30 days, you also have to take a theory test and a driving test. I passed both so I guess they are very easy.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:43 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

Definitely check with the local DMV where you are moving to. Like people have said it's different in different states. I'm in Texas and my local DMV told me I could use my UK license here for 12 months, so there doesn't seem to be a general rule.

Check it online, and then I would go and see someone face to face once you have moved over to check again.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It makes sense if you look at it this way: if you visit for a vacation you don't need to get a CA license; but once you begin to live there, you need to get one within a certain period of time.
Yes, but in UK at least you have a year to take the UK test and you can drive on a foreign license until then - with only 30 days you are really stuck and have to do it straight away - not when you have the time for it...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NAR14
Definitely check with the local DMV where you are moving to. Like people have said it's different in different states. I'm in Texas and my local DMV told me I could use my UK license here for 12 months, so there doesn't seem to be a general rule.

Check it online, and then I would go and see someone face to face once you have moved over to check again.
Thanks I will check with them just thought I would ask...it would be good if you can use a UK one for 12 months in CA too
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:53 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

Thanks I will check with them just thought I would ask...it would be good if you can use a UK one for 12 months in CA too
Definitely, I was very pleased to hear I was allowed 12 months. I was expecting to have to get it right away, but this gave me some breathing room.

My 12 months runs out in May though, so I'm going to have to sort it soon.

Good luck!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Don't procrastinate. Your DL is your primary ID. You should plan to get it as soon as possible after arriving.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAR14
Definitely, I was very pleased to hear I was allowed 12 months. I was expecting to have to get it right away, but this gave me some breathing room.

My 12 months runs out in May though, so I'm going to have to sort it soon.

Good luck!
According to this:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ingtotexas.htm

You only have 90 days
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:58 pm
I Still Remember

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't procrastinate. Your DL is your primary ID. You should plan to get it as soon as possible after arriving.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have waited as long as I have, I'm a terrible procrastinator. Or is that, a good procrastinator...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but in UK at least you have a year to take the UK test and you can drive on a foreign license until then -
Sorry, their state, their rules!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:02 pm
I Still Remember

Originally Posted by lisa67
According to this:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ingtotexas.htm

You only have 90 days
Apparently that is for when moving from another US state into Texas. You could use your, say DL from New Mexico for 90 days before having to have a Texan one. With me being an international arrival, I was probably given more time as GC and SSC stuff can take a while. Again, that seems to differ state to state though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.