Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

Wikiposts

Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

I use my US license in the UK, was not aware it affected rate (certainly doesnt seem to through the usual travel sites as giantaxe says).

All additional insurance I get courtesy of my credit card - this makes for very substantial saving, as this area is really where the hire car companies try and stiff you.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:04 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
They won't accept a US address though. So I'm not sure how that works once you leave the UK.

I was once stopped for speeding in Colorado (I was just passing through and had a Texas license at the time). I gave my UK license which would have worked if I had the correct change on me. The cop fined me $70 and followed me to a gas station to break a $20 I had. On route his brain must have started to warm up and he figured I couldn't buy a TX car without a TX drivers license. He ran my name (maybe even having to get dispatch to call TX DMV?) and found out I had a TX license
When I stopped at the gas station to get the correct change he said "do you have a TX drivers license?"; oh shit I thought. So I calmly said "yes officer". He asked why I didn't show it to him and I said it was at home in Texas (I said had forgotten it). I had complied with the law and shown a valid (UK) drivers license. The SOB but my TX license number on the ticket though
DVLA says "It will not be a requirement to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad." which is good to know http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103

The Colorado question is interesting as to whether they can choose which non-CO license you show if you're not a CO resident and legally entitled to both. I suspect it's the sort of fine legal issue which a highway patrolman would really enjoy looking up at great length...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:23 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
I've just returned from good old blighty and I had a quandary whilst I was there. I rented a car with my DE license, but I also have a DVLA issued one with my old address in the UK. Obviously, I don't live at that address any more.

The question that I have is what would happen if I was to be pulled for speeding or other illegal car related offenses whilst I was there? Would the police really believe my DE license or would they try to trace a UK license (particulary because I still have northern accent)? Do they fine on the spot or would it be too much trouble for them?

Any experiences by you lot?
They could of course just arrest you and take you before the next available court. Since 1/1/2006 police can arrest for any offence if they consider it necessary.