Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:05 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all
Default Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

I've just returned from good old blighty and I had a quandary whilst I was there. I rented a car with my DE license, but I also have a DVLA issued one with my old address in the UK. Obviously, I don't live at that address any more.

The question that I have is what would happen if I was to be pulled for speeding or other illegal car related offenses whilst I was there? Would the police really believe my DE license or would they try to trace a UK license (particulary because I still have northern accent)? Do they fine on the spot or would it be too much trouble for them?

Any experiences by you lot?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
I've just returned from good old blighty and I had a quandary whilst I was there. I rented a car with my DE license, but I also have a DVLA issued one with my old address in the UK. Obviously, I don't live at that address any more.

The question that I have is what would happen if I was to be pulled for speeding or other illegal car related offenses whilst I was there? Would the police really believe my DE license or would they try to trace a UK license (particulary because I still have northern accent)? Do they fine on the spot or would it be too much trouble for them?

Isn't there a legal requirement to change your address on your license within a certain amount of days? I'm not sure whether the police run your license through the computer like the US cops do.

Car hire rates are cheaper using a UK license and I have a new one using my in-laws address. My quandry was what would happen if I was involved in an accident? When the insurance company starts to dig around would they refuse coverage because I hadn't been truthfull ie I don't live at the address on the license? So in the end I used my US license.

At least using a US license you won't get 'points' if you commit a traffic offence.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 6th 2007 at 1:17 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Driving in the UK with a US drivers license

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf

It's probably worth paying parking fines if you find one on your windscreen....if you're using a credit card to pay for your car rental I think that virtually all of the rental companies reserve the right to charge your card for parking fines and also charge you about 30-50 pounds on top for 'admin' and probably same for the London road pricing.

My husband (Bristolian) had a rental car and a couple of years ago was stopped in Oxfordshire for speeding very late at night on the M40 where there was no other traffic.

He showed his NJ licence and the cop let him off (but warned him that he could have detained him in a cell for the night as he was doing 104mph.... )

AFAIK I don't think the cops can do anything if you're not using a UK licence and they can't put points on your licence. How would they even know that you had taken a UK driving test anyway? A UK licence is only valid if you're resident in the UK.

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 6th 2007 at 1:19 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:21 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's probably worth paying parking fines if you find one on your windscreen....if you're using a credit card to pay for your car rental I think that virtually all of the rental companies reserve the right to charge your card for parking fines and also charge you about 30-50 pounds on top for 'admin' and probably same for the London road pricing.

My husband (Bristolian) had a rental car and a couple of years ago was stopped in Oxfordshire for speeding very late at night on the M40 where there was no other traffic.

He showed his NJ licence and the cop let him off (but warned him that he could have detained him in a cell for the night as he was doing 104mph.... )

AFAIK I don't think the cops can do anything if you're not using a UK licence. How would they even know that you took a UK driving test anyway? A UK licence is only valid if you're resident in the UK.

Great! I can quote this to me 'know-all' father-in-law who said that I would have all my worldly possessions impounded and be locked-up for all eternity (or something similar) if I did anything illegal.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

AFAIK I don't think the cops can do anything if you're not using a UK licence and they can't put points on your licence. How would they even know that you had taken a UK driving test anyway? A UK licence is only valid if you're resident in the UK.
The Cops can detain you, in the UK whilst they check out your licence and your insurance coverage etc. Over here in the USA, in some Counties/States, if you do not have the ability to immediately pay a speeding ticket you can also be detained by the Cops. Wisconsin is a good one for this.

Jim.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The Cops can detain you, in the UK whilst they check out your licence and your insurance coverage etc. Over here in the USA, in some Counties/States, if you do not have the ability to immediately pay a speeding ticket you can also be detained by the Cops. Wisconsin is a good one for this.

Jim.
A British colleague of my husband's was pulled over for speeding on her way to Newark airport. She asked the cop if he could hurry up because she was running late for her plane. That comment went down like a lead balloon...she was told if she made another comment like that she'd be detained.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Car hire rates are cheaper using a UK license and I have a new one using my in-laws address.
I'm very sceptical about that; I have never been asked what license I'm using when making a booking and typically rates with the majors tend actually to be cheaper when booked from the US.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm very sceptical about that; I have never been asked what license I'm using when making a booking and typically rates with the majors tend actually to be cheaper when booked from the US.
If you use the internet and get 2 quotes one which each license...I've always found the UK one to be cheaper.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:15 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

You can't use holidayautos.co.uk (which are always cheapest IMO) from the US, but you can from the UK.

I have had different rates depending on whether I use e.g. hertz.com and hertz.co.uk but I've never noticed it with licences (not that i've specifically checked).
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:24 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

They won't accept a US address though. So I'm not sure how that works once you leave the UK.

I was once stopped for speeding in Colorado (I was just passing through and had a Texas license at the time). I gave my UK license which would have worked if I had the correct change on me. The cop fined me $70 and followed me to a gas station to break a $20 I had. On route his brain must have started to warm up and he figured I couldn't buy a TX car without a TX drivers license. He ran my name (maybe even having to get dispatch to call TX DMV?) and found out I had a TX license
When I stopped at the gas station to get the correct change he said "do you have a TX drivers license?"; oh shit I thought. So I calmly said "yes officer". He asked why I didn't show it to him and I said it was at home in Texas (I said had forgotten it). I had complied with the law and shown a valid (UK) drivers license. The SOB but my TX license number on the ticket though

Isn't there a legal requirement to change your address on your license within a certain amount of days?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a legal requirement to change your address on your license within a certain amount of days? I'm not sure whether the police run your license through the computer like the US cops do.
In the UK, you've got 7 days I think to show proof of license and insurance...in the US, it's an offence not being able to show them to a cop when asked, don't know if that's a state thing or in general, but it is in maine and around here.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you use the internet and get 2 quotes one which each license...I've always found the UK one to be cheaper.
What sites ask for a license when you're getting a quote? I've never come across this.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
What sites ask for a license when you're getting a quote? I've never come across this.
I looked at the large rental companies on line...it was either what licence you had or where you were resident. I got 2 entirely different quotes putting in UK and US.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:40 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Car hire rates are cheaper using a UK license and I have a new one using my in-laws address. My quandry was what would happen if I was involved in an accident? When the insurance company starts to dig around would they refuse coverage because I hadn't been truthfull ie I don't live at the address on the license? So in the end I used my US license.

At least using a US license you won't get 'points' if you commit a traffic offence.
Car Hire rates through 1car1, who I use, are no different if you use a UK or a US license.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I looked at the large rental companies on line...it was either what licence you had or where you were resident. I got 2 entirely different quotes putting in UK and US.
Well, I just went to the websites of all the majors, and whilst some asked me country of residence, none asked me what license I would be using.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.