Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

Well here is the update on what has happened.
Basically I informed the DMV/DPS here in Plano TX that I had a UK license, they didn't care and insisted that I had to apply for a license from the beginning. They had me do a written test then gave me a learner permit. I asked about driving test, but none of the centres around here have slots available until September.
I have since spoken with DMV/DPS again, after many failed attempts at speaking with them, and they have informed me that because I now have a TX drivers permit, the International Permit is no good now and I now must have an over 21 licensed driver in the vehicle with me at all times.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The International Permit is just a translation so is in itself irrelevant.

You should be OK to use your UK DL driving in other States.

Interesting, Colorado did not have the requirement that I had to be accompanied, but it was only a week or so between getting the permit and doing the test. I had passed the test before I received the Plastic permit. They give you effectively a receipt initially.

I would check the need to be accompanied on the DMV site.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtb87
Basically I informed the DMV/DPS here in Plano TX that I had a UK license, they didn't care and insisted that I had to apply for a license from the beginning. They had me do a written test then gave me a learner permit. I asked about driving test, but none of the centres around here have slots available until September.
I have since spoken with DMV/DPS again, after many failed attempts at speaking with them, and they have informed me that because I now have a TX drivers permit, the International Permit is no good now and I now must have an over 21 licensed driver in the vehicle with me at all times.
There is no license reciprocity between the UK and Texas (understably, given how easy it is to pass the test here). Having a UK license therefore doesn't help you get a Texas license.

You could maybe drive out into the country to find a DPS office that doesn't have a month wait? We could have gone to Hempstead, but I was willing to wait for a test at my local test centre (Grant Road, Houston).

I had a look at the nearby DPS locations on their website. Greenville and Bonham seem the most likely, but there may be better options as I don't know the area well enough.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How long does Texas allow you to get a license? (x days) How long have you been resident? (y days)

If x > y you have x-y days left using your British licence. If the test date is after x-y days I suggest, as Owen did, that you try progressively more rural and distant test centers until you find one that can give you a road test before the validity of you British licence expires.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How long does Texas allow you to get a license? (x days) How long have you been resident? (y days)

If x > y you have x-y days left using your British licence. If the test date is after x-y days I suggest, as Owen did, that you try progressively more rural and distant test centers until you find one that can give you a road test before the validity of you British licence expires.
Looking at his past posts and the Texas DPS website, the answers are:
x=90 days
y=since 18 June
x+y=30th August

So, the DPS person was talking out of her arse, as is common in such situations.

He's lucky, too, the Hempstead location has this happen so much that you have to turn up in person if you want to book a road test, but the small town ones near Plano allow you to phone and book.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Looking at his past posts and the Texas DPS website, the answers are:
x=90 days
y=since 18 June
x+y=30th August

So, the DPS person was talking out of her arse, as is common in such situations. .....
As of today, if he's been in TX since June 18, then y= 45. Therefore if x=90, he still has 45 days of validity on his British licence, IOW until September 14.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As long as there is no attempt to avoid prosecution by using two licenses, of course.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 11:52 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
As long as there is no attempt to avoid prosecution by using two licenses, of course.
That's the main reason I drive on my US DL in the UK ;p
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As of today, if he's been in TX since June 18, then y= 45. Therefore if x=90, he still has 45 days of validity on his British licence, IOW until September 14.
Unless the issue of a TX learner permit (even if unnecessary) revoked the privilege to drive temporarily on an out of state/country license. A question for a Texas attorney.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless the issue of a TX learner permit (even if unnecessary) revoked the privilege to drive temporarily on an out of state/country license. A question for a Texas attorney.
That's an interesting question. .... And presumably not one considered by legislators when the passed the law that created the DL conundrum for immigrants holding foreign licences.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Texas dps/dmv have sent me their official response following my chat with them the other day. Response posted below.

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your email inquiry.

Texas Administrative Code Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 15, Subchapter E., Rule 15.91 states that ‘reciprocal privileges are limited to ages 18 to 75 and for a period not to exceed one year from date of entry into the United States or other country’. Texas Transportation Code Title 7, Subtitle B., Chapter 512, Section 521.025 states that ‘a person is required to display a license on the demand of a magistrate, court officer or peace officer’. While you have an International driver license, you are also now a registered driver in the state of Texas and would be required to show the Texas permit. If an officer runs your information through our database, it will show you as having a Texas permit that requires a passenger that is licensed and over the age of 21 to be in the passenger seat. If that is not the case when you are stopped, you could be subject to a citation. Receiving your Texas permit would have meant that you were approaching the 90 day mark on your International license, and would render it invalid once you received your Texas permit.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 10:50 pm

Well Texas dps/dmv have sent me their official response following my chat with them the other day. Response posted below.

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your email inquiry.

Texas Administrative Code Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 15, Subchapter E., Rule 15.91 states that ‘reciprocal privileges are limited to ages 18 to 75 and for a period not to exceed one year from date of entry into the United States or other country’. Texas Transportation Code Title 7, Subtitle B., Chapter 512, Section 521.025 states that ‘a person is required to display a license on the demand of a magistrate, court officer or peace officer’. While you have an International driver license, you are also now a registered driver in the state of Texas and would be required to show the Texas permit. If an officer runs your information through our database, it will show you as having a Texas permit that requires a passenger that is licensed and over the age of 21 to be in the passenger seat. If that is not the case when you are stopped, you could be subject to a citation. Receiving your Texas permit would have meant that you were approaching the 90 day mark on your International license, and would render it invalid once you received your Texas permit.
IANAL..... But that appears to be ambiguous and/or assumes that you can just swap your licence for a TX license. If you have to go through the step of obtaining a learners permit and taking a road test then I think that you can still use your UK licence until either (i) 90 days has elapsed since you became resident in TX, OR (ii) you obtain your (full) TX license.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 2:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

What does the actual law of Texas say?

In MA, I was told around about the same line of cobblers you have been, but upon actually looking at what the *law* says.[1]

Funnily enough, the first statutory exception to the charge of driving unlicensed is the following:

"Statutory exceptions. General Laws c. 90, § 10 contains seven exceptions to the requirement of a Massachusetts license: (1) a person who is licensed in another state or country, has applied for a Massachusetts license but has not yet been given a drivers test, and has been issued a 60-day temporary permit by the Registry of Motor Vehicles; "

After reading that, I continued to drive on my UK licence after my temporary permit had been issued.

[1] http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/cour...g-licensed.pdf

Just as an aside, the idiots that wrote Texan law on this don't even know how to refer to the UK correctly. From: http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tl oc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=15&rl=92 the UK is apparently the "United Kingdom of Great Britain". What a bunch of morons.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Aug 7th 2014 at 2:08 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
..... Just as an aside, the UK is apparently the "United Kingdom of Great Britain". What a bunch of morons.
Probably drafted by someone related to the Texan working at the USCIS office who looked at the copy of my passport with my immigration paperwork, which clearly says on the cover: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and issued me a green card showing me to be Irish!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 2:32 pm
Banned

Probably drafted by someone related to the Texan working at the USCIS office who looked at the copy of my passport with my immigration paperwork, which clearly says on the cover: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and issued me a green card showing me to be Irish!
Couldn't make it up, could you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.