Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

Hi all,
I hope someone can help with this. I have a UK license, now living in Texas and have now received a TX Learner's Permit. I have been driving on my UK license since I arrived here in June. However, can I still drive on my UK license or is this going to cause major issues if I were to get pulled over?
Unfortunately no driving test spots available until September in my area or the surrounding areas.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving on UK license whilst possessing a learner permit?

The local DMV site will tell you how long new residents have to get a local license..
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

jtb87 is an unknown quantity at this point

In TX they give 90 days but were unable to give me the rules on driving with a uk license as well as learners permit. I was just concerned for if I should be pulled over for some odd reason.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtb87
In TX they give 90 days but were unable to give me the rules on driving with a uk license as well as learners permit. I was just concerned for if I should be pulled over for some odd reason.
If you're within the 90 days, and if you get pulled over, I'd only offer my UK licence.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:04 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you get a learners permit? It's 90 days from becoming established in the state, so arguably not the day you arrive. I would have nothing to do with the leaners permit and just drive on my uk license until your date for testing arrives. Have you done your written test? If so in the unlikely event you were pulled over I'd just hand over your uk license and say nothing else. If questioned you can say you are waiting on your date to arrive.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Why did you get a learners permit? .....
I was wondering the same thing, and nearly posted that point. I got my first US license in NY and I don't recall ever having a learners permit.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. I went to the DMV, took the written test and was then issued with a full license. The officer even forgot to give me a road test and issued my license anyway!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Why did you get a learners permit? It's 90 days from becoming established in the state, so arguably not the day you arrive. I would have nothing to do with the leaners permit and just drive on my uk license until your date for testing arrives. Have you done your written test? If so in the unlikely event you were pulled over I'd just hand over your uk license and say nothing else. If questioned you can say you are waiting on your date to arrive.
I had to get a learners permit before I could be take the main 'road' (read car park driving) test and gain a full DL.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

So did I.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was wondering the same thing, and nearly posted that point. I got my first US license in NY and I don't recall ever having a learners permit.
The folks at the DMV in Rochester specifically told me I had to get a learners permit and couldn't transfer my license over and it says the same thing on the DMV website as well - maybe the rules have changed?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by hoffage123
.... - maybe the rules have changed?
Quite possibly, or my memory is failing. In any case Mrs P was not working at the time, do she did most of the research and admin for me, I just showed up and took the test.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 5:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Different state, and long ago (1996), but I just showed up and took my test.

No one asked for my old license, and I would not have given it to them if they had.

Test was complete pants anyway.. Total waste of time.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:02 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
The folks at the DMV in Rochester specifically told me I had to get a learners permit and couldn't transfer my license over and it says the same thing on the DMV website as well - maybe the rules have changed?
The rules have changed in a number of states, especially in the years after 9/11(i.e. 2001). A drivers licence is the single most valuable & necessary form of ID, so many states have tightened up the rules for obtaining one.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Or loosened them, well Colorado has this year.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:37 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Weird. Four years ago in Texas we turned up and did our written tests then were given our date for the driving part. Didn't have to get a learners permit for any period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.