Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test In USA?

Driving Test In USA?

Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test In USA?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not necessarily, she needs to be able to hold and manage a drink, phone, burger, and at least one more from this list: cigarette, screaming kid, small dog, newspaper, book, or GPS.
What about the lippie?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
After a recent visit to California I concluded that any semblance of being able to demonstrate any skill at steering constituted an automatic failure of the test.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly ran over someone on a crosswalk when I took my test in Seattle, and I still passed with a high score. Ever since I've wondered what you have to do to actually fail.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 1:05 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I know someone at work who failed in Texas - they messed up the reverse parking and hit the post.

Even stranger, they admitted it to the other Brits at work...
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

I took my driving test in NY State. The tick box test was easy, the driving test, in a quiet residential area, consisted of driving 100 yards, turning right, another 100 yards, turning right, et cetera, until I got back to where I started, took all of 5 minutes!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You want to learn to drive in the UK.

Where you take the test doesn't matter, have to take it locally anyway, but here, you don't learn to drive, you just learn to pass the test and frankly, someone in a coma could pass the test.

Your only issue will likely be in taking the test in the snow. The only difference there would be in driving even slower, because a bit of wheel spin is a automatic fail and that can easily happen if you aren't used to slowing in the snow and you jam the brakes on a chunk of snow that shifts.

Just read the drivers hand book, learn the penalty points for under 21 year olds, especially the drink ones and that's the theory done.

Saying that. It might be worth getting a UK license first. That way, when you get here, you can drive with it and depending on the state, get away with not having to do the learners permit stuff and just take the test, other wise you might have to take x number of drivers education classes and do x number of night driving, with a VT licensed driver over 21 with x number of years before being allowed to take the test.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

ella2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i really hope i can sit my test here,just that i don't know if my instructor will let me before Christmas so i guess i have to try my best to be ready!!.Thanks for the pointers i hadn't thought about the drivers ed part,guess i need to really focus with the darn parallel parking lol
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on. Could be worse.

In crisp khakis, the cop stands at the head of a raggedy line of about 20 of us aspirants. Each one reaches him, he scribbles something on their form, he waves them on to one of two cars beyond him. The line moves quickly, so I'm standing beside him before I've had time to ponder exactly what he's doing, and then I get my answer.

He asks my name, checks it, and writes "passed" on my form, and that's it. I'm stepping past him, waiting for the car. "That one", says someone else, and I walk over to the open driver's door, conscious that the cop's paying me no mind. He's already focused on writing "passed" on the guy behind me’s form.

In the passenger seat, there's a man, buttoned-down shirt and furrowed brow. He hisses, "Don't touch that!" as I reach to move the seat belt so I can sit down. So I sit, and he hisses, "Don't touch that!" as I put my hands on the steering wheel. So I leave the wheel alone and he hisses, "Don't touch that!" as I reach for the gear shift. So I rest my hands in my lap and he hisses, "Don't touch those!" as my feet move, of their own volition, as any driver's feet would, move towards the pedals.

So I sit there doing exactly nothing, and the car, apparently of its own volition though he's really operating it from his seat with his own set of pedals, moves forward about 10 yards, then backward about 10 yards, and then he tells me, "OK, you can go. Your test is over."

Thus have I passed my driving test to get myself a new Maharashtra (the state of which Mumbai is the capital) driver's license. I swear I am not making this up.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-license.html

Last edited by dakota44; Oct 22nd 2012 at 7:31 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kins
I nearly ran over someone on a crosswalk when I took my test in Seattle, and I still passed with a high score. Ever since I've wondered what you have to do to actually fail.
In CA? Show up with a vehicle with no front plate. Seriously.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

I watched someone try and parallel park in a space large enough for a mid size truck, they messed it up for 10 mins before finally getting it right and they still passed!

Drive just below the limit, don't hit anyone, don't run over anyone, they will pass.