Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test Q's

Wikiposts

Driving Test Q's

Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving Test Q's

Originally Posted by bostonbound
This is worrying me so much! I passed my UK test 15 years ago and not once have I done a parallel park in all those years. Not one single time!! I could never seem to do them during my lessons and I was so lucky that it wasn't one of the manoeuvres chosen in my test!

Better start practising
Same here! I had to read the driving manual on how to do them.
The DMV centre had 4 orange posts to parallel park between, and I was shocked to see they weren't much further apart than the length of my new mini-van - or so it appeared!
We both still passed though - I think they take into account you're not a 16 year old and so as long as you don't break the law or do something dangerous you should get through.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

More than anything the teenagers get nervous. they know their stuff but anxiety takes over...
They shouldn't, because there's nothing to know to pass around here....but often, they're just crap drivers.

Real difference I think is those who learn and only drive in closed circuits v those who learn in real conditions.

Scary thing though, around my way, learners can drive on the interstate...and how crap are they
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose

I believe the 30/60/90 day limits are for change of State within the US.
There's only a handful of states that allow johnny foreigner to drive for 12 months on their foreign license. Maine is one of them, Texas another. Practically impossible to get insurance though for that length of time that it's moot.

Once you reside you, you're resident, so all that flounce from that link is also irrelevant....it'll only be relevant if you were quite literally only here as a student, but the state would consider you a resident in pretty much every other scenario.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Same here! I had to read the driving manual on how to do them.
The DMV centre had 4 orange posts to parallel park between, and I was shocked to see they weren't much further apart than the length of my new mini-van - or so it appeared!
We both still passed though - I think they take into account you're not a 16 year old and so as long as you don't break the law or do something dangerous you should get through.
With the complete lack of parking around here, I guess there's far more room for the need to parallel park....hardly needed to up in Maine.

It's something that is so easy though. Line the rear of your car up to the rear of the front car, lock steering wheel, reverse, till you see the curb in the rear side window is a few inches and then reverse the steering lock to the other side until car is straight, go forward turning in a little more if needed, or to get in the middle of both cars.

The way it was tested up in Maine, you had to park behind a car, but there was a 50 foot gap between cars, so a bit of a joke.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:19 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's only a handful of states that allow johnny foreigner to drive for 12 months on their foreign license. Maine is one of them, Texas another.
You can only drive for 90 days on a UK license in Texas. My UK license wasn't taken off me when I got the TX one, but think that varies centre to centre.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Weeze
You can only drive for 90 days on a UK license in Texas. My UK license wasn't taken off me when I got the TX one, but think that varies centre to centre.
Someone on here showed it was 12 months, but again, that was a couple years ago. Insurance was the stumbling block back them.

You don't give your UK license over anyway, it ain't yours to hand over.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

Well Just wanted to say that I passed my test . Got 3 questions from the 25 wrong (6 = fail!)

I then went out for a 15 minute drive which was a right turn onto the road...another right turn... right turn again. Then stop... reverse back without going up onto the path!!!...then forward...emergency stop. Few more left and right turns making sure i look over my shoulder before I move into the left lane and that was it.

Have my 20 day temporary Driving License as they put the permanent one with the photo in the post.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:22 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Well done
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
The papers I needed:

SSN
Immigrant Visa (to prove I was a permanent resident)
Car insurance
car ownership papers
Photo ID (passport)
$60 for license and $9 for the test
To even get my license (before the test) in Utah, I will need:

Proof of identity (birth certificate in English or accompanied by a translated copy if in another language) by showing evidence of original or copies certified by the issuing agency;
Proof of legal/lawful presence;
Proof of social security number or ITIN;
Two proofs of Utah residence address (not more than 60 days old), if it is different than the address on your current Utah record; and
* Evidence of name change, if applicable (not )

The acceptable IDs are listed on another web page - looks like I'll need my birth certificate for ID and to buy a car or motorbike and register it in my name as one proof of address (I already have a Wells Fargo account in Utah for the other)
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:29 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Don't expect a cop, if you are pulled over, to know this? they will issue a fine regardless?

Of course then you waste time to prove and get the fine off?
Actually I do expect a cop to know that. It is part of police training in the UK and if it isn't here it should be. It stems from a convention signed in 1949 and it's about time it was followed by the US who are signatories to the original convention.

But I agree about the hassle of getting a cop here to follow it, hence why I said most expats just stick to the State residency requirement. Certainly in Oregon the DMV give you 12 months.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:44 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rallybug
To even get my license (before the test) in Utah, I will need:

Proof of identity (birth certificate in English or accompanied by a translated copy if in another language) by showing evidence of original or copies certified by the issuing agency;
Proof of legal/lawful presence;
Proof of social security number or ITIN;
Two proofs of Utah residence address (not more than 60 days old), if it is different than the address on your current Utah record; and
* Evidence of name change, if applicable (not )

The acceptable IDs are listed on another web page - looks like I'll need my birth certificate for ID and to buy a car or motorbike and register it in my name as one proof of address (I already have a Wells Fargo account in Utah for the other)
when I went to apply for my learner's permit, I had a huge list of things that I would need. I had all but the utility bills - which are in OH's name. They were adamant that SSN, birth certificate, marriage certificate, official letter from OH's work here in PA explaining certain things which are not necessarily normal - ie why we don't have utility bills, the entry visa paperwork (forget which number it is) copy of OH's entry L1 stamped documentation and my passport were not enough to prove who I am. I don't have anything else! They wanted OH to come in to sign something to say I was telling the truth. I mean - which century are we living in?

I walked away, got another queue number and found somebody else to speak to who was slightly more reasonable.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
when I went to apply for my learner's permit, I had a huge list of things that I would need. I had all but the utility bills - which are in OH's name. They were adamant that SSN, birth certificate, marriage certificate, official letter from OH's work here in PA explaining certain things which are not necessarily normal - ie why we don't have utility bills, the entry visa paperwork (forget which number it is) copy of OH's entry L1 stamped documentation and my passport were not enough to prove who I am. I don't have anything else! They wanted OH to come in to sign something to say I was telling the truth. I mean - which century are we living in?

I walked away, got another queue number and found somebody else to speak to who was slightly more reasonable.
It does not surprise me.

Trying another customer service rep, trying another office, trying another day…every time you contact any government office they all have different answers. Pretty appalling really.

Private sector is not any different either. I called customer service (Comcast) to check if my promo rate can be kept. First contact – NO, it will be 59.99. Second contact – We can do $45 and that’s the absolute best we can do. Third contact $39..

Everything in US has to be complicated to the point that the person you talk to makes a decision. This has been my experience.

I can not speak for every state, but California is madness. I grew up in India and I sometimes go so far as to say that California is a slightly better version of India….slightly less dirty, slightly better bureaucracy, slightly better roads, slightly better government nonsense, non existent schools/budget…list goes on.

I lived in Australia for 10 odd years before I moved up here and I can totally tell the difference. But hey, I am here – fulfilling my American dream….

Rant for the day, I shall get back to my year end reporting deadline(s)!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Actually I do expect a cop to know that. It is part of police training in the UK and if it isn't here it should be. It stems from a convention signed in 1949 and it's about time it was followed by the US who are signatories to the original convention.

But I agree about the hassle of getting a cop here to follow it, hence why I said most expats just stick to the State residency requirement. Certainly in Oregon the DMV give you 12 months.
Totally,

I agree they should know. I doubt they would. Best is to have a print out with you and take it everywhere!

In California, one needs to have Calif License within 10 days from being a Calif resident. The Resident term, in my opinion, is loosely defined. Either way, 10 days is ridiculous given it takes upto 1 month (in the best case scenario) to get SSN and then another 1-2 months to get an appointment with DMV and tests etc.

LOL
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Private sector is not any different either. I called customer service (Comcast) to check if my promo rate can be kept. First contact – NO, it will be 59.99. Second contact – We can do $45 and that’s the absolute best we can do. Third contact $39..

Everything in US has to be complicated to the point that the person you talk to makes a decision. This has been my experience.

This can be good or bad ... if, in (eg) UK, the answer is a flat, consistent '59.99', then you are coming out ahead by playing the game here and trying three different people and ultimately getting $39. My gut feeling is, there is more latitude / flexibility here given to sales people to 'close the deal' and you are indeed coming out ahead relative to a more 'predictable' model. Whether it's worth it or not is another matter!