Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test Q's

Driving Test Q's

Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving Test Q's

Hey everyone

I have my PA driving test tomorrow, and it states that I must bring "the driving license of whoever drove me to the test center". This will be difficult for me to do, everyone I know will be at work.

Will it be OK to just show up with my British drivers license? In my friend's car? Or will my friend need to be there...?

Many thanks,

EDIT: The exact requirements are

Things to bring:

Your valid learner's permit.
The valid Pennsylvania driver's license of the person 21 years of age or older or spouse 18 years of age, accompanying you to the Driver's License Center.
The original valid insurance card for the vehicle you are taking your test in (photocopies will not be accepted).
The original valid registration card for the vehicle you are taking your test in (photocopies will not be accepted).
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test Q's

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resid..._license.shtml

Looking at the above I would say you just need to show your UK licence, SSN, proof of residency, registration for car in and insurance doc of some sort. But I would tell them that you will not surrender your UK licence as it is needed for when driving in UK. I wasn't asked to hand over my licence (in Indiana). I did want to get rid of my International Driving Permit though due to the shocking picture in it! (Waste of 5 quid that was!)
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

NiceOneDelBoy will become famous soon enough

I am also a PA resident. I did not have to provide the valid drivers license of some other third party- i think that may only be a requirement with drivers under 18. (although that was a few years back so don't quote me)
I think you may find this article helpful:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195nc.pdf
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your help, wish me luck!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

aceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the roughaceastwood is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SarahG
[URL]But I would tell them that you will not surrender your UK licence as it is needed for when driving in UK.
I don't know about PA, but in GA they said I could not have a license unless I gave up my UK license. The British Consulate confirmed this, but said "don't worry, they send it to us and we will send it back to you". And they did.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Hey everyone

I have my PA driving test tomorrow, and it states that I must bring "the driving license of whoever drove me to the test center". This will be difficult for me to do, everyone I know will be at work.

Will it be OK to just show up with my British drivers license? In my friend's car? Or will my friend need to be there...?

Many thanks,

EDIT: The exact requirements are

Things to bring:

Your valid learner's permit.
The valid Pennsylvania driver's license of the person 21 years of age or older or spouse 18 years of age, accompanying you to the Driver's License Center.
The original valid insurance card for the vehicle you are taking your test in (photocopies will not be accepted).
The original valid registration card for the vehicle you are taking your test in (photocopies will not be accepted).
I believe that 99% of americans get their license on their 16th birthday and these requirements are geared towards that.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my PA driving test tomorrow
So how did it go?

Any issues? (with the paperwork - not the test!)
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
So how did it go?

Any issues? (with the paperwork - not the test!)
Hey no issues at all, I told them I had a British license and they were very nonchalant about it. The driving test itself is SO easy compared to Britain, I parallel parked in a space big enough for a panzer tank, then drove around the block once.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:13 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey no issues at all, I told them I had a British license and they were very nonchalant about it. The driving test itself is SO easy compared to Britain, I parallel parked in a space big enough for a panzer tank, then drove around the block once.
Sounds like doing my test in Maine. We were back at the BMV so quick I thought I'd cocked it all up.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds the same as my test the other week. When I did my parallel park there was only one other car in the whole street! Can you imagine if the test was the same in the UK?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

I passed my practical test in Eugene, Oregon today. I cocked up the first one by turning right on a red light and not coming to a dead stop (I rolled through).

No problems second time, though I got points off for driving in the "parking lane". There are very few streets where people park on the road here, and generally they're marked and have meters, so I'd never actually realised it was a "parking lane" before!

I didn't even have to parallel park, just drive into a parking space (marked with cones) and reverse out again. The drive round the block took in various turns and lights, about 20 minutes, and it was all done.

Much easier than the UK test which I did back in 1984, and driving in London hasn't gotten any easier since.

The papers I needed:

SSN
Immigrant Visa (to prove I was a permanent resident)
Car insurance
car ownership papers
Photo ID (passport)
$60 for license and $9 for the test

Ironically my green card turned up in the post later that day.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

This is worrying me so much! I passed my UK test 15 years ago and not once have I done a parallel park in all those years. Not one single time!! I could never seem to do them during my lessons and I was so lucky that it wasn't one of the manoeuvres chosen in my test!

Better start practising
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

I have my driving test in NC today. I've been reading the highway code book and preparing myself for it. I have the relevant paperwork (or believe I have)...SSN...Insurance..Passport..VISA...UK License...CHECK to pay!...

The thing is i only recently got my insurance and SSN and so i am on the limit of the 60 day limit before i need a NC license. The pressure of knowing that if I fail today means I dont have an NC license and the 60 days is up pretty much tomorrow!! It says that i have to have a NC license within 60 days of residency. Now what classes as residency? I mean I am counting from the moment I set foot in the country... but the first 2 month I was put up in temporary housing through work to figure out if A) i wanna live here and B) if my job i came over from the UK for was right for me. On Jan 1st I then moved into our new home (rented) and so this is our residency as such (no longer in my works temporary apartment...) so does the 60 days start from when i moved into our first home, in our name...our own utility bills etc... or is it from the moment I set foot off the plane? Hope someone can help...and if its from Jan 1st when we moved into our own home.... then i have longer to pass my test and less pressure on me for this afternoon to pass!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:30 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus
I have my driving test in NC today. I've been reading the highway code book and preparing myself for it. I have the relevant paperwork (or believe I have)...SSN...Insurance..Passport..VISA...UK License...CHECK to pay!...

The thing is i only recently got my insurance and SSN and so i am on the limit of the 60 day limit before i need a NC license. The pressure of knowing that if I fail today means I dont have an NC license and the 60 days is up pretty much tomorrow!! It says that i have to have a NC license within 60 days of residency. Now what classes as residency? I mean I am counting from the moment I set foot in the country... but the first 2 month I was put up in temporary housing through work to figure out if A) i wanna live here and B) if my job i came over from the UK for was right for me. On Jan 1st I then moved into our new home (rented) and so this is our residency as such (no longer in my works temporary apartment...) so does the 60 days start from when i moved into our first home, in our name...our own utility bills etc... or is it from the moment I set foot off the plane? Hope someone can help...and if its from Jan 1st when we moved into our own home.... then i have longer to pass my test and less pressure on me for this afternoon to pass!!
If you do manage to fail the test, please let us all know exactly how you did it. Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

Originally Posted by sime303
If you do manage to fail the test, please let us all know exactly how you did it. Thanks.
If I fail the test today... i wont be on here... i will be sitting on a curb crying...waiting for someone to come and pick me up!! haha..or maybe i should say Boo Hoo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.