Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test Q's

Driving Test Q's

Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice
Default Re: Driving Test Q's

...and if anyone can help or shed anymore light on the latter part of my post regarding the 60-days..... that would be a real help!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:11 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus
If I fail the test today... i wont be on here... i will be sitting on a curb crying...waiting for someone to come and pick me up!! haha..or maybe i should say Boo Hoo!
Nah, you can drive yourself home on the UK licence...that's what my DH did and no one batted an eye!

And I wouldn't worry too much about the 60 day thing. It's unlikely to be enforced to the letter.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

I got myself one of those International Driving License from the Post Office in the UK before I came out aswell. Wasnt sure if this was best to pass to a law enforcement office er if I was ever stoipped... instead of my UK license ...until such time i get my NC driving license!

Wasnt sure if it was gonna be an issues if i go past the 60 days or not...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

...and if anyone can help or shed anymore light on the latter part of my post regarding the 60-days..... that would be a real help!
Hopefully this is already all over, but your residency started the day you moved here (day one IMO).

Originally Posted by avanutria
Nah, you can drive yourself home on the UK licence...that's what my DH did and no one batted an eye!

And I wouldn't worry too much about the 60 day thing. It's unlikely to be enforced to the letter.
In California it's become quite the money-making sport.. I wouldn't be tooooo confident about that.
Of course, if you don't get pulled over, it's not likely to come up.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I got myself one of those International Driving License from the Post Office in the UK before I came out aswell. Wasnt sure if this was best to pass to a law enforcement office er if I was ever stoipped... instead of my UK license ...until such time i get my NC driving license!

Wasnt sure if it was gonna be an issues if i go past the 60 days or not...
The internation permit is a waste of time and money. All it is is a translation of your license with a photo, only useful if you have the old paper only license.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

In California it's become quite the money-making sport.. I wouldn't be tooooo confident about that.
Of course, if you don't get pulled over, it's not likely to come up.
It's a big money earner here in MA too...and the cheeky thing is, insurance is all tied to drivers license at the DMV in my state, so if one or the other lapses, the other automatically gets voided, and this includes car registration and safety inspection. So anything gets out of date, you get caught, you'll get done for driving without a license and without insurance and the fine gets big quickly.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a big money earner here in MA too...and the cheeky thing is, insurance is all tied to drivers license at the DMV in my state, so if one or the other lapses, the other automatically gets voided, and this includes car registration and safety inspection. So anything gets out of date, you get caught, you'll get done for driving without a license and without insurance and the fine gets big quickly.
I sometimes don’t get he logic with some people, with due respect.

Instead of trying to exploit loopholes and taking the downside risk of being caught, just take time off and get the tests done. yeah, the fines can add up quickly.

They are so freaking straight forward. In CA, I saw 5-6 people take the test and the only one who was failed was a girl (teenage) who couldn’t point where the emergency brakes were (I can only assume out of nervousness) and one other mistake. I don’t know how she went with the actual driving but she failed.

CA driving license is far too easy…5 mins driving around few blocks, few lights, few stop signs, few school zones. Back and done!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
They are so freaking straight forward. In CA, I saw 5-6 people take the test and the only one who was failed was a girl (teenage) who couldn’t point where the emergency brakes were (I can only assume out of nervousness) and one other mistake. I don’t know how she went with the actual driving but she failed.

CA driving license is far too easy…5 mins driving around few blocks, few lights, few stop signs, few school zones. Back and done!
As you note, you saw a teen-age girl flunk -- I know that both of my daughters flunked the first time out -- and I had then had them drive me through the route -- and it was hard!

I've known several several US expats to the UK and they found that the UK test was not difficult.

From what I understand is that an experienced adult driver should not have any problem on the actual driving test.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As you note, you saw a teen-age girl flunk -- I know that both of my daughters flunked the first time out -- and I had then had them drive me through the route -- and it was hard!

I've known several several US expats to the UK and they found that the UK test was not difficult.

From what I understand is that an experienced adult driver should not have any problem on the actual driving test
Totally,

More than anything the teenagers get nervous. they know their stuff but anxiety takes over...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:45 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

I have my driving test in NC today. I've been reading the highway code book and preparing myself for it. I have the relevant paperwork (or believe I have)...SSN...Insurance..Passport..VISA...UK License...CHECK to pay!...

The thing is i only recently got my insurance and SSN and so i am on the limit of the 60 day limit before i need a NC license. The pressure of knowing that if I fail today means I dont have an NC license and the 60 days is up pretty much tomorrow!! It says that i have to have a NC license within 60 days of residency. Now what classes as residency? I mean I am counting from the moment I set foot in the country... but the first 2 month I was put up in temporary housing through work to figure out if A) i wanna live here and B) if my job i came over from the UK for was right for me. On Jan 1st I then moved into our new home (rented) and so this is our residency as such (no longer in my works temporary apartment...) so does the 60 days start from when i moved into our first home, in our name...our own utility bills etc... or is it from the moment I set foot off the plane? Hope someone can help...and if its from Jan 1st when we moved into our own home.... then i have longer to pass my test and less pressure on me for this afternoon to pass!!
this is a quote directly from the American Embassy website in regards to renting a car (not sure how this is different to driving any car):

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits are generally not required in the U.S.A but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

I believe the 30/60/90 day limits are for change of State within the US.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
this is a quote directly from the American Embassy website in regards to renting a car (not sure how this is different to driving any car):

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits are generally not required in the U.S.A but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

I believe the 30/60/90 day limits are for change of State within the US.
Someone is going to come along and say "Embassy" is not the custodian of the regulation/policing and you can rely on the web-page.

I know what you mean, I used to assume these things when I moved up here but I am getting increasingly American and accepted the bull shit around bureaucracy, left hand not talking to right hand, everything has to be as complicated as it can get etc.

Another example. I believe there was a ruling where immigration employee's (USCIS or similar can't remember) advice was deemed to be 'can not be relied upon' inferring you need to get a lawyer for yourself!! Stupid, but true (stupid to me at least given that would be first resource anyone would avail in case of issues would be USCIS)....

Anyway....
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
I'd suggest that that text came from the page Visiting The United States and in that way is different from and has nothing to do with people who move here.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'd suggest that that text came from the page Visiting The United States and in that way is different from and has nothing to do with people who move here.
The Embassy quote is correct. The convention which the US signed up to says that your home country license is valid for the first 12 months you are a resident in the other country. Hence you can live in the UK for 12 months and your US licesnse is valid. Likewise you UK license should be valid in the US for 12 months.

However most State DMVs don't know or choose not to abide by the convention. Oregon is one who allows UK residents to drive for 12 months on their UK license as I asked when I got here. Not sure which other States do, but as the Federal government has the power to sign treaties etc all should. But people just stick to the State residency rule for a license as it reduces the potential for a lot of hassle. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
The Embassy quote is correct. The convention which the US signed up to says that your home country license is valid for the first 12 months you are a resident in the other country. Hence you can live in the UK for 12 months and your US licesnse is valid. Likewise you UK license should be valid in the US for 12 months.

However most State DMVs don't know or choose not to abide by the convention. Oregon is one who allows UK residents to drive for 12 months on their UK license as I asked when I got here. Not sure which other States do, but as the Federal government has the power to sign treaties etc all should. But people just stick to the State residency rule for a license as it reduces the potential for a lot of hassle. I'll get off my soap box now.
Thank you; I forgot you had a ready-rant for that one (and I agree with you!)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury

Don't expect a cop, if you are pulled over, to know this? they will issue a fine regardless?

Of course then you waste time to prove and get the fine off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.