Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

I would definitely carry your passport with you. We have been stopped a number of times near the Mexican border and always had our passport with us, never been a problem. This year while driving towards Phoenix from Houston on I-10 they had a pullout for all the I-10 traffic and we were simply asked if we were US Citizens, and when I replied yes I was expecting to have to show our passports as usual as I still have a strong Durham accent, but we were simply waved through.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

Originally Posted by durham_lad
..... we were simply asked if we were US Citizens, and when I replied yes I was expecting to have to show our passports as usual as I still have a strong Durham accent, but we were simply waved through.
Do many Mexicans/ Latin Americans have a Durham accent?

[Let's not pretend that those checkpoints are about anything other than illegal immigration from Latin America. ]
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

[Let's not pretend that those checkpoints are about anything other than illegal immigration from Latin America. ]

The one this year we went through was certainly just about illegal immigration as they had no drug sniffer dogs. The other 3 times we have been stopped we had our US passports examined by one agent while another took a dog for a walk around the car.

Of course I just assumed that they were drug sniffer dogs, they could be trained to sniff out people from Latin America hidden in the trunk
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Are you not required to have you passport with you anyway?
What do you mean by this? If you mean carry it around everywhere I go, no, I don't do that. A California driving license has been sufficient ID for anywhere that I've needed to go within USA, including flying across the country.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
What do you mean by this? If you mean carry it around everywhere I go, no, I don't do that. A California driving license has been sufficient ID for anywhere that I've needed to go within USA, including flying across the country.
I agree, even when we were on visas and then Green Cards I never carried more than a driving license even when we flew to Hawaii.

It is only near the Mexican border that you are likely to get stopped by border patrol. (Not sure about roads near Canada).

On the Big Bend National Park website you are told you should carry your passport as you will almost certainly be stopped.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. Yes, that makes sense. I guess that I have never driven near enough to the border (except to visit the Las Americas outlet mall) in the past to have been stopped (and thus have reason to bring my passport).
Old Dec 20th 2015, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is your issue, look it up.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There's no legal requirement to have any ID at all at a BP checkpoint, unless you're an LPR, in which case BP can issue you a ticket for up to $100 if you don't have your alien registration card on you.

My sister got pulled over on I-8 (eastbound) just after the BP checkpoint in Yuma and they searched her car and asked for ID but in fairness she was driving well over the speed limit. Not really a smart idea to go zipping past a bunch of Border Patrol agents at 90 mph.

They've never asked me for ID at any of the I-8 checkpoints, just a casual glance and they wave me through. I did get a bit of a grilling at a mobile checkpoint on I-15 near the Canadian border a few years back.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 4:45 am
Account Closed

OP is not a USC , or LPR.
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
It is only near the Mexican border that you are likely to get stopped by border patrol. (Not sure about roads near Canada).
You can encounter them anywhere within 100 miles of the border technically, as that is all part of the "expedited removal zone". They used to have mobile checkpoints but they seem to have largely given up on them as the GAO said they were a waste of money. Although a woman was famously tasered at one recently in New York, wasn't she?

Where they're a real pain in the ass is on the ferries in Washington and also buses that cross the border. Or the guy who wanders around the parking lot at Peace Arch park, assuming he's not asleep in his SUV.

Personally I don't think the Republicans will be happy until there are Border Patrol agents daisy-chained the entire length of the border. Behind a 50 foot tall fence. With a very large ditch behind it.

The Senate Homeland Security committee hearing on the US-Canadian border was absolutely frightening, the way they were all going on about the "threat" from Canada. Hearing Northern Border Threats | Video | C-SPAN.org

Have a look on youtube, all kinds of silliness, this appears to be the BP checkpoint in I-10 west of Las Cruces:

Bus inspection:

And many more...

Have a read of: The Department of Homeland Security: the largest police force nobody monitors | Marisa Franco & Paromita Shah | Opinion | The Guardian
Old Dec 25th 2015, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I've done this drive many times this year. The 8 is actually a much more scenic drive than the 10, and a lot less traffic and trucks, too. ...
I quite like I-10 - far better than I-5 in CA (it's all relative !). There's always a nice mountain range in the distance, and the sky can be gorgeous in the afternoon/early evening. I've done I-10 maybe 50 times, and I-8 just twice ... what I remember most is, going into San Diego after the long stretch through the desert was really amazing, passing through the foothills around San Diego. If you've never done it before, certainly do it once for the experience.

My car will do about 300 - 340 miles on a full tank of gas, which means that I'll have to stop somewhere on the way. It'd probably be good to have a stretch and bathroom break anyway. Should I stop in Yuma? I've heard AZ gas is quite a bit cheaper than CA gas (that's probably everywhere but Alaska!).
Gas is stupid-cheap in AZ, compared to CA.
That is your issue, look it up.
The law says you had to carry your green card at all times; I had a GC for 20 years before I got my Citizenship, and never once carried it, and never needed it. So I don't think we need to struggle with the letter of the law here. Keeping it safe / not losing it is more important than complying with a law that is not enforced. Having said that, I would carry it on this particular trip.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike

The law says you had to carry your green card at all times; I had a GC for 20 years before I got my Citizenship, and never once carried it, and never needed it. So I don't think we need to struggle with the letter of the law here. Keeping it safe / not losing it is more important than complying with a law that is not enforced. Having said that, I would carry it on this particular trip.
OP does not have a GC.
Old Dec 26th 2015, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

OP does not have a GC.
I know. I was using GC as an analogy. He has a Passport; Law may say carry your passport at all times if you are ... blah blah. Got it?
Old Dec 26th 2015, 4:44 am
Account Closed

May?
Old Dec 27th 2015, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

On the other hand...

I was locked up because I went to a Texas national park without my papers | Lise Ragbir | Opinion | The Guardian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.