Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

Old Dec 27th 2015, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

I hadn't read that article - thanks for posting it.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:19 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Phoenix from San Diego, CA - do i need to bring my passport?

I was just about to post that article, this bit caught my attention:

Three agents repeatedly explained that I am required to carry my permanent resident card with me at all times – a fact that I only became aware of in the border-zone.
I find that a bit hard to believe, they put it on the I-797 in some detail when you get it.

My offense? I’m Canadian and I didn’t have my permanent resident card with me.
No, it was spelling: "offence" with an: "s", which Canadians don't do.

Anyway, it's always a good idea to memorize your alien registration number so that BP can look you up more easily. And if you don't want to carry the card around with you, at least carry a copy of it.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 3:47 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I was just about to post that article, this bit caught my attention:

I find that a bit hard to believe, they put it on the I-797 in some detail when you get it.
I must admit I didn't read the letter thoroughly when I received my card. It then occurred to me a week or so later that I should double check whether I'm supposed to be carrying it or not. My instinct was to tuck it away in a safe place because I didn't want to have to fork out $$$ for a replacement.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:35 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I've driven through Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and all over California and the only time had to pass through a checkpoint was when returning to California from Arizona or Oregon and that was because no plants, fruits or vegetables are allowed into California from other States,. Most times they don't even ask you to open the trunk just ask you if you're carrying any of those or not

Unless going to Canada or Mexico I see no reason to carry a passport. Your driver's license, vehicle registration form and proof of insurance are enough in case of a stop by the law

Last edited by dc koop; Dec 29th 2015 at 4:38 am.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We've been stopped a number of times on the I-8 checkpoint, traveling westbound approx an hour east of San Diego. 2004-2014.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:16 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
We've been stopped a number of times on the I-8 checkpoint, traveling westbound approx an hour east of San Diego. 2004-2014.
Stopped what for ?
Old Jan 1st 2016, 2:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Stopped what for ?
They set up a check point and stop every car going through or slow you down and wave you through.

They have no particular reason to stop a car, if they suspect you are smuggling, have drugs etc, they will find probable cause to search your car, but most people just get waved through.

The I-8 outside of San Diego has been there in some form or another for at least 14 years now.

The I-15 at the San Diego/Riverside line if still there has been there since the 80's at least, I remember going through it when we went to see my grandmother in Riverside County.

The I-5 near Oceanside used to (may still be there) have one and it was there in my childhood as well, always went through it when going to Disneyland.

There was one along the I-8 East of Yuma as well last I drove through there.

The check points don't operate consistent hours or length of time, can be quite random if they are there or not, but nothing new these checkpoints.

This is the I-15 one at the SD/Riverside county line.

Spoiler:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger...7606279877387/

I-5 one near San Clemente it's a more permanent one, others can be little more then some cones, stop sign and officers standing on the highway.

The check points have been held legal and constitutional by the Supreme Court, and your not required as a US Citizen to answer any of their questions, however the officer doesn't have to let you through the check point until you satisfy them you are in the country legally.

They are apparently also found along the Canadian border, although I have not yet seen one.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 1st 2016 at 2:25 am.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:59 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They set up a check point and stop every car going through or slow you down and wave you through.

They have no particular reason to stop a car, if they suspect you are smuggling, have drugs etc, they will find probable cause to search your car, but most people just get waved through.

The I-8 outside of San Diego has been there in some form or another for at least 14 years now.

The I-15 at the San Diego/Riverside line if still there has been there since the 80's at least, I remember going through it when we went to see my grandmother in Riverside County.

The I-5 near Oceanside used to (may still be there) have one and it was there in my childhood as well, always went through it when going to Disneyland.

The check points don't operate consistent hours or length of time, can be quite random if they are there or not, but nothing new these checkpoints.

I-5 one near San Clemente it's a more permanent one, others can be little more then some cones, stop sign and officers standing on the highway.

The check points have been held legal and constitutional by the Supreme Court, and your not required as a US Citizen to answer any of their questions, however the officer doesn't have to let you through the check point until you satisfy them you are in the country legally.

They are apparently also found along the Canadian border, although I have not yet seen one.
That one by Camp Pendleton on the 5 is one of the main reasons I don't live in North County. The congestion on the 5 from it is an absolute nightmare at times.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Stopped what for ?
As stated by another poster. (I'm back in Blighty for a couple of weeks with intermittent internet access)
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Thanks. Yes, perfect description.

We regularly go through the I-5 checkpoint, although haven't been stopped there for closed to ten years. It is closed more than open when I travel through there.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 6:06 am
Banned

They have a checkpoint just past Tombstone, Az and the Border Patrol are seen regularly around Bisbee. Eastern Arizona is a hot spot for alien and drug smuggling. We were stopped at the checkpoint but they just looked at the licence plate and waved us on