Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in New York with learner permit

Driving in New York with learner permit

Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in New York with learner permit

I'm thinking that myself! I guess I'll go see the judge and hope he's having a nice day and cuts me a break
Thanks for everyones replies, I'll let you know how I get on
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
I'm thinking that myself! I guess I'll go see the judge and hope he's having a nice day and cuts me a break
Thanks for everyones replies, I'll let you know how I get on
I would call a lawyer...it's the American way. Like I said earlier...the points will hurt more than the fine. A lawyer will be able to tell you the rules and may be able to get your points dropped.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
That's what DMV said, we had to get a license to buy a car. We did the written test and passed but was put off by sitting and watching a safety movie for 5 hours.

They said at DMV its OK to drive on your UK license until we become permanent NY residents, meaning green card
What license did you show the cop?
I am not a NY resident and know no more than what it says on the web page.
The web sits says that you become a resident after 90 days of residing, (not when you got the green card). If you were within 90 days of arriving in NY, I would have given the cop the UK license, after 90 days I would want a NY full license before getting in a car on my own.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What license did you show the cop?
I am not a NY resident and know no more than what it says on the web page.
The web sits says that you become a resident after 90 days of residing, (not when you got the green card). If you were within 90 days of arriving in NY, I would have given the cop the UK license, after 90 days I would want a NY full license before getting in a car on my own.
I'm wondering if his UK DL is invalid because he hold a NY permit. In NJ you are supposed to hand in your other DL when you apply for a NJ DL.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Edit: it sounds more like the interpretation of 'resident'.
That definition is important here isn't it.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You became a resident as soon as you landed with the visa in your hand. I think that's what they mean.
The web page suggests 90 days
Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That definition is important here isn't it.

The web page suggests 90 days
Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS
No need to shout. OK yes the NY DMV recognises you as a resident after 90 days.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:44 pm
He/him

I'm wondering if his UK DL is invalid because he hold a NY permit. In NJ you are supposed to hand in your other DL when you apply for a NJ DL.
Getting the provisional license might have been the mistake then.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think the person has taken the written test and therefore been given the learner permit, but has delayed getting the behind-the-wheel test beyond 90 days.

Edit: actually looking at it again, I think they just applied for the permit, so I think maybe you're right.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I think the person has taken the written test and therefore been given the learner permit, but has delayed getting the behind-the-wheel test beyond 90 days.

Edit: actually looking at it again, I think they just applied for the permit, so I think maybe you're right.
That's what I'm thinking.

Dunno...we are only speculating as non of us live in NYC. One thing is for certain you shouldn't bank on what the DMV tells you.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

One thing is for certain you shouldn't bank on what the DMV tells you.
Absolutely.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Reading through the OP's past post...he has been living in NYC for quite some time. Therefore I think the cop is correct...he should have a full NY DL.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:11 am
He/him

Dunno...we are only speculating as non of us live in NYC.
none residents with a lack of knowledge.....like that is going to stop us speculating.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reading through the OP's past post...he has been living in NYC for quite some time. Therefore I think the cop is correct...he should have a full NY DL.
It looks like nearly two years since he bought a car.
none residents with a lack of knowledge.....like that is going to stop us speculating.
It's what we do best.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like nearly two years since he bought a car.

It's what we do best.
Sorry, no sympathy if it's been that long since he moved here.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lisa67
Sorry, no sympathy if it's been that long since he moved here.
Book him, Danno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.