Reload this Page >

Driving in New York with learner permit

Driving in New York with learner permit

Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in New York with learner permit

Hi there,
When we first arrived we applied for our license and got a learner permit. DMV said we could drive on this without restrictions as we held a full UK license.

Got stopped by a cop yesterday who booked me for driving the car without a ful licence?

Anyone know where I can find out if he is wrong or DMV gave me duff info

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:14 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in New York with learner permit

Originally Posted by moving2nyc View Post
Hi there,
When we first arrived we applied for our license and got a learner permit. DMV said we could drive on this without restrictions as we held a full UK license.

Got stopped by a cop yesterday who booked me for driving the car without a ful licence?

Thanks
I am assuming that you have looked at this but link provided if you have not.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
I think the clue is in the 'Learner's Permit'...which means you haven't got a full NY DL. How long have you been driving on a learner's permit?

Whether you can drive on your UK licence probably depends if the length of time you can drive on a foreign licence has expired or not. Also it may be the policy of NY that you can only hold one licence...therefore if you have a NY learner's permit they may not recognise your UK DL.

I really wouldn't rely on what the DMV told you...you will get a different answer from almost every employee you ask.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

I did originally when we arrived and took it I was OK with a learner permit and my UK license.

Is that the case, I did the written test for the learner but have not done the 5 hour course or the road test.

So what's my legal position?

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
It might be worth taking the ticket to the DMV and explaining what happened, you might get it waived.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Crazy thing is the cop told me to plead not guilty and they will "sort it in court"
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

I'm thinking before court I will get my full license and hope the judge lets me off

It's a $200 fine :0(
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I did originally when we arrived and took it I was OK with a learner permit and my UK license.

Is that the case, I did the written test for the learner but have not done the 5 hour course or the road test.

So what's my legal position?

Thanks
How long have you been driving on the learner's permit? Has the time you are allowed to drive on a learner's permit expired?

Crazy thing is the cop told me to plead not guilty and they will "sort it in court"
It may be worth consulting a lawyer.

Edit: $200 fine...but how many points. The points could be the bummer as it will push your insurance premium up.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 14th 2012 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

That would probably cost me more than the fine?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
How long have you been driving on the learner's permit? Has the time you are allowed to drive on a learner's permit expired?

It may be worth consulting a lawyer.

Edit: $200 fine...but how many points. The points could be the bummer as it will push your insurance premium up.
So in New York you begin again as a learner even if you have a full UK licence? Here you just take the written and practical test.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
So in New York you begin again as a learner even if you have a full UK licence? Here you just take the written and practical test.
Yep even if you come from another state...ridiculous isn't it? I remember an American friend moving to NY...she was furious at having to sit another test. In NJ we only have the multi answer written test.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

That's what DMV said, we had to get a license to buy a car. We did the written test and passed but was put off by sitting and watching a safety movie for 5 hours.

They said at DMV its OK to drive on your UK license until we become permanent NY residents, meaning green card
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Yep even if you come from another state...ridiculous isn't it? I remember an American friend moving to NY...she was furious at having to sit another test. In NJ we only have the multi answer written test.
Aha.

So is it because the time had expired or because you have to be accompanied I wonder.

Edit: it sounds more like the interpretation of 'resident'.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's what DMV said, we had to get a license to buy a car. We did the written test and passed but was put off by sitting and watching a safety movie for 5 hours.

They said at DMV its OK to drive on your UK license until we become permanent NY residents, meaning green card
I think you have been told the wrong info. Never trust what anyone at the DMV tells you unless you get it in writing.

You became a resident as soon as you landed with the visa in your hand. I think that's what they mean. I bet the person you spoke to doesn't know what the difference between a visa and a GC is.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Aha.

So is it because the time had expired or because you have to be accompanied I wonder.

Edit: it sounds more like the interpretation of 'resident'.
Are you referring to the OP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.