Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving lisence help

Driving lisence help

Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving lisence help

So long as you can provide your drivers number, you don't need the paper license. DVLA can issue a new license, which would have the same endorsements as your old license. People misplacing their license is not an uncommon occurrence. Unless you tell them how would they know you have been out of the country?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know I figure canada would liaise somehow, why do they even make you surrender your uk one anyway?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
why do they even make you surrender your uk one anyway?
This came into effect when they allowed you to merely exchange licences without a test. When I came to Canada (Ontario) in 1987, you had to retake your test but you could keep your original licence. A big pain retaking the test as many failed the first and second times.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 1st 2010 at 3:04 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

suninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the rough

Okay, here's why I think JAJ is correct. As he said, you only need to think about it logically.

South Africa is one (of possibly many countries) that separates the concept of having passed the drivers test and being in possession of a valid drivers license card. I suspect the UK will too.

We'll shortly be in the UK but our SA driving license cards expired many years ago. No worries...the UK authorities simply need a letter from the South African authorities to the effect that we passed the driving test in SA and we're "entitled" to a new license card if we were to return to SA (ie that the right to a license hasn't been suspended or canceled for some misdemeanor or offense).

We have those certificates and will be swopping our SA driving licenses (even though we don't have a valid driver license card) on the basis of those certificates when we arrive.

I have to believe the UK authorities will allow you to get a new driving license card on the basis of your details on their records.

P.S. We've been living in Canada these past 7 years.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
That is for those who have never held a GB licence. It's not enough just to read information without thinking about it ...
JAJ, if that is the case why don't they say so. Surely it would be simple enough to state "holders of Canadian Driving Licences who have never held a UK Licence do this..." "holders of Canadian Driving Licences who are former holders of UK Licences do something else..."

Or maybe my understanding of the English language has really gone down the tubes?

I've taken some time to examine the UK's Road Traffic Act. Basically there is nothing there to answer the supposition that former UK licence holders who have left UK only to return can "just ask for their licence back". However, what the Act does say is this...

89 Tests of competence to drive

(1) A licence authorising the driving of motor vehicles of any class shall not be granted to any person unless he satisfies the Secretary of State—

(a) that at some time during the period of ten years ending on the date of the coming into force of the licence applied for he has passed the test of competence to drive prescribed by virtue of subsection (3) below or a test of competence which under subsection (6) below is a sufficient test, or

(b) that within that period of ten years he has held a licence authorising the driving of vehicles of that class, not being a provisional licence, a licence granted by virtue of section 99(4) of the [1960 c. 16.] Road Traffic Act 1960 or a licence which has been revoked in pursuance of section 99(3) of this Act, or

(c) that, at the time of application for the licence—

(i) he holds an exchangeable licence authorising the driving of vehicles of a category corresponding to that class, and

(ii) he is normally resident in Great Britain or (where the exchangeable licence is a Community licence) the United Kingdom but has not been so resident for more than one year...
Basically, 89(1)(a) restricts the applicant who does not have a fully exchangeable licence (e.g. Canada) to rely on a previous UK test no longer than ten years into the past. This, I suspect, is the reason why Bijilo123's friend's father had to resit the test.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
JAJ, if that is the case why don't they say so. Surely it would be simple enough to state "holders of Canadian Driving Licences who have never held a UK Licence do this..." "holders of Canadian Driving Licences who are former holders of UK Licences do something else..."

Or maybe my understanding of the English language has really gone down the tubes?

I've taken some time to examine the UK's Road Traffic Act. Basically there is nothing there to answer the supposition that former UK licence holders who have left UK only to return can "just ask for their licence back". However, what the Act does say is this...
It doesn't say so because you cannot expect a government website to deal with every possible scenario.

As for the rest, your physical licence is only evidence of your licence, not the licence itself. Also, if you want a road traffic lawyer, I'd suggest finding one directly, not arguing on an online forum.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

thanks JAJ, that's the end of my contribution to this thread and to this forum

well done!!!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
dont say that i allready have a car back home, i still have my paper counter part.
You will see that your UK paper licence has a 16 digit number that they ask you to quote when contacting the DVLC so I am sure they have all of your details. Why not phone them?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

When I came back from Canada after just over 4 years I phoned the DVLA about this. They asked me for my address before leaving the UK and confirmed that they had my old UK license on file and that since my photo was less than 10 years old I wouldn't need to supply a new one to get the old license back.