Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving license transfer

driving license transfer

Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Andy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really nice
Default driving license transfer

Does anyone know a US State that accepts either a UK or Australian drivers license to transfer without having to take the practical and also written test? I don't mind taking it but the motorcycle part here in Florida requires a course over two weeks and costs over $200. Unfortunately I cannot find my German license because they would accept that as long as I took the written test.
Thanks,
Andy
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving license transfer

No, both those countries drive on the opposite side to here so there isn't a single US state that will 'convert' those DLs to a US. Germany & Canada are the only two countries I've ever seen be acceptable to DMVs here.

The written test isn't that hard either.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Andy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really niceAndy61 is just really nice

Thanks, thought I was hoping for too much.
Andy
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

By the way, in Florida they accept a French license and all you need to do is take an eye test in the licensing office. A mate of mine did it a month or two ago.
Andy
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to be resident in the state where you apply, but perhaps you are flexible
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, both those countries drive on the opposite side to here so there isn't a single US state that will 'convert' those DLs to a US. Germany & Canada are the only two countries I've ever seen be acceptable to DMVs here.

The written test isn't that hard either.
It isn't the written test it is the course you have to take.

Here in Oregon it is 2 part, but not all have to take part 1. They loan a motor cycle for part one, but for part 2 you have to use your own. I need only do part 2, but I cannot buy a motor cycle in Oregon without a D/L and I cannot ride it to and from the course without a D/L. I still haven't figured a way around that yet.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I rented one in AZ to take my test.
I 'fessed up to the shop I rented from what I was going to do with the bike, but this is not compulsary
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got my driving test on Thursday morning. Should be interesting to see how it compares to home...
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

I have a bike, bought it in November when I arrived on a 12 month visa. It was a hassle regarding the registration but my girlfriends name also went on the title so it went through. I got a Florida ID no hassle and that seems to have sorted out any title problems as I bought an old convertable last month and it raised no eyebrows. My problem is not so severe as I have 12 months to drive on my International/UK/Australian license before I need to do something and before that I need to become a resident..........
Not checked properly but I think here in Florida you can use their bikes for all of the course. Stupid really, I arrive on a 2009 Harley Road King then step onto whatever they use for the unwashed masses to practice on. The big painful part about it all is the insurance I pay whilst driving on an overseas license.
Andy
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy61
By the way, in Florida they accept a French license and all you need to do is take an eye test in the licensing office. A mate of mine did it a month or two ago.
Andy
karma for the update; thanks!
I have heard of France before, but I forgot.

I have a bike, bought it in November when I arrived on a 12 month visa. It was a hassle regarding the registration but my girlfriends name also went on the title so it went through. I got a Florida ID no hassle and that seems to have sorted out any title problems as I bought an old convertable last month and it raised no eyebrows. My problem is not so severe as I have 12 months to drive on my International/UK/Australian license before I need to do something and before that I need to become a resident..........
Florida State may already consider you a 'resident'.. many states do after as little as 30 days of you staying there. It's not related to your immigration 'residency'.

Why can't you get a DL? I thought you could get one with a tourist visa in FL, valid for the length of your I-94. What sort of '12 month' visa are you here with?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
It isn't the written test it is the course you have to take.

Here in Oregon it is 2 part, but not all have to take part 1. They loan a motor cycle for part one, but for part 2 you have to use your own. I need only do part 2, but I cannot buy a motor cycle in Oregon without a D/L and I cannot ride it to and from the course without a D/L. I still haven't figured a way around that yet.
Oh, I see the dilemma.

Need a friend with a bike I guess.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:06 am
Just Joined

I'm on a 12 month R B1/B2. Long story but a tourist license, even if I qualified for such a beast, would be worthless as I can happily drive/ride around for twelve months anyway. The license my friend got (the French guy) was only valid for seven months and marked as temporary. I guess there is a possibility that considering my visa any license I do get via taking a test may also be marked as temporary. Still, a US license means my insurance premiums go down and I could change it down the track. Crazy thing is we can all legally drive in Europe on a UK license with no need to transfer it. S'life.
Andy.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:28 am

I'm on a 12 month R B1/B2. Long story but a tourist license, even if I qualified for such a beast, would be worthless as I can happily drive/ride around for twelve months anyway. The license my friend got (the French guy) was only valid for seven months and marked as temporary. I guess there is a possibility that considering my visa any license I do get via taking a test may also be marked as temporary. Still, a US license means my insurance premiums go down and I could change it down the track. Crazy thing is we can all legally drive in Europe on a UK license with no need to transfer it. S'life.
Andy.
Your I-94 is for 12 months?

What I am telling you, is that the State views "residence" as 30 days of staying there (or whatever the local limit is). There was a recent discussion about New York State that explained it very well if you want a look back.
I only mention it because it might impact your insurance cover.

The DL can say temporary or not.. it will expire with your I-94 in Florida so it's obvious how 'permanent' it is or not. I guess you could say that all of our licenses are temporary here.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I guess you could say that all of our licenses are temporary here.
True. I don't know of any state that gives a license that is good forever. It always has to be renewed at some point.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know a US State that accepts either a UK or Australian drivers license to transfer without having to take the practical and also written test? I don't mind taking it but the motorcycle part here in Florida requires a course over two weeks and costs over $200. Unfortunately I cannot find my German license because they would accept that as long as I took the written test.
Thanks,
Andy
NY, did many years ago, but then stopped.
NJ, certainly did a few years ago, have not checked recently.
Reg. Frank r.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.