British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   driving license transfer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-license-transfer-596711/)

Andy61 Mar 10th 2009 9:36 pm

driving license transfer

Does anyone know a US State that accepts either a UK or Australian drivers license to transfer without having to take the practical and also written test? I don't mind taking it but the motorcycle part here in Florida requires a course over two weeks and costs over $200. Unfortunately I cannot find my German license because they would accept that as long as I took the written test.
Thanks,
Andy

meauxna Mar 10th 2009 9:40 pm

Re: driving license transfer

No, both those countries drive on the opposite side to here so there isn't a single US state that will 'convert' those DLs to a US. Germany & Canada are the only two countries I've ever seen be acceptable to DMVs here.

The written test isn't that hard either. :)

Andy61 Mar 10th 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks, thought I was hoping for too much.
Andy

Andy61 Mar 10th 2009 9:47 pm

By the way, in Florida they accept a French license and all you need to do is take an eye test in the licensing office. A mate of mine did it a month or two ago.
Andy

Norri Mar 10th 2009 10:10 pm

I think you need to be resident in the state where you apply, but perhaps you are flexible :)

lansbury Mar 10th 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7365153)
No, both those countries drive on the opposite side to here so there isn't a single US state that will 'convert' those DLs to a US. Germany & Canada are the only two countries I've ever seen be acceptable to DMVs here.

The written test isn't that hard either. :)

It isn't the written test it is the course you have to take.

Here in Oregon it is 2 part, but not all have to take part 1. They loan a motor cycle for part one, but for part 2 you have to use your own. I need only do part 2, but I cannot buy a motor cycle in Oregon without a D/L and I cannot ride it to and from the course without a D/L. I still haven't figured a way around that yet. :blink:

Norri Mar 10th 2009 10:34 pm

I rented one in AZ to take my test.
I 'fessed up to the shop I rented from what I was going to do with the bike, but this is not compulsary ;)

pejpm1 Mar 10th 2009 11:24 pm

I've got my driving test on Thursday morning. Should be interesting to see how it compares to home...

Andy61 Mar 10th 2009 11:46 pm

I have a bike, bought it in November when I arrived on a 12 month visa. It was a hassle regarding the registration but my girlfriends name also went on the title so it went through. I got a Florida ID no hassle and that seems to have sorted out any title problems as I bought an old convertable last month and it raised no eyebrows. My problem is not so severe as I have 12 months to drive on my International/UK/Australian license before I need to do something and before that I need to become a resident..........
Not checked properly but I think here in Florida you can use their bikes for all of the course. Stupid really, I arrive on a 2009 Harley Road King then step onto whatever they use for the unwashed masses to practice on. The big painful part about it all is the insurance I pay whilst driving on an overseas license.
Andy

meauxna Mar 11th 2009 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Andy61 (Post 7365172)
By the way, in Florida they accept a French license and all you need to do is take an eye test in the licensing office. A mate of mine did it a month or two ago.
Andy

karma for the update; thanks!
:o I have heard of France before, but I forgot. :o

Originally Posted by Andy61 (Post 7365471)
I have a bike, bought it in November when I arrived on a 12 month visa. It was a hassle regarding the registration but my girlfriends name also went on the title so it went through. I got a Florida ID no hassle and that seems to have sorted out any title problems as I bought an old convertable last month and it raised no eyebrows. My problem is not so severe as I have 12 months to drive on my International/UK/Australian license before I need to do something and before that I need to become a resident..........

Florida State may already consider you a 'resident'.. many states do after as little as 30 days of you staying there. It's not related to your immigration 'residency'.

Why can't you get a DL? I thought you could get one with a tourist visa in FL, valid for the length of your I-94. What sort of '12 month' visa are you here with?

meauxna Mar 11th 2009 12:29 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7365269)
It isn't the written test it is the course you have to take.

Here in Oregon it is 2 part, but not all have to take part 1. They loan a motor cycle for part one, but for part 2 you have to use your own. I need only do part 2, but I cannot buy a motor cycle in Oregon without a D/L and I cannot ride it to and from the course without a D/L. I still haven't figured a way around that yet. :blink:

Oh, I see the dilemma.

Need a friend with a bike I guess. :)

Andy61 Mar 11th 2009 1:06 am

I'm on a 12 month R B1/B2. Long story but a tourist license, even if I qualified for such a beast, would be worthless as I can happily drive/ride around for twelve months anyway. The license my friend got (the French guy) was only valid for seven months and marked as temporary. I guess there is a possibility that considering my visa any license I do get via taking a test may also be marked as temporary. Still, a US license means my insurance premiums go down and I could change it down the track. Crazy thing is we can all legally drive in Europe on a UK license with no need to transfer it. S'life.
Andy.

meauxna Mar 11th 2009 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Andy61 (Post 7365695)
I'm on a 12 month R B1/B2. Long story but a tourist license, even if I qualified for such a beast, would be worthless as I can happily drive/ride around for twelve months anyway. The license my friend got (the French guy) was only valid for seven months and marked as temporary. I guess there is a possibility that considering my visa any license I do get via taking a test may also be marked as temporary. Still, a US license means my insurance premiums go down and I could change it down the track. Crazy thing is we can all legally drive in Europe on a UK license with no need to transfer it. S'life.
Andy.

Your I-94 is for 12 months?

What I am telling you, is that the State views "residence" as 30 days of staying there (or whatever the local limit is). There was a recent discussion about New York State that explained it very well if you want a look back.
I only mention it because it might impact your insurance cover.

The DL can say temporary or not.. it will expire with your I-94 in Florida so it's obvious how 'permanent' it is or not. I guess you could say that all of our licenses are temporary here.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 11th 2009 2:27 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7365741)
I guess you could say that all of our licenses are temporary here.

True. I don't know of any state that gives a license that is good forever. It always has to be renewed at some point.

frrussre Mar 11th 2009 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Andy61 (Post 7365146)
Does anyone know a US State that accepts either a UK or Australian drivers license to transfer without having to take the practical and also written test? I don't mind taking it but the motorcycle part here in Florida requires a course over two weeks and costs over $200. Unfortunately I cannot find my German license because they would accept that as long as I took the written test.
Thanks,
Andy

NY, did many years ago, but then stopped.
NJ, certainly did a few years ago, have not checked recently.
Reg. Frank r.