Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License in California

Driving License in California

Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in California

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Oh - I was sure it was 8 - back to the Lounge bar
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Why is it any odder than the fact that everything from the death penalty to whether or not you can keep a ferret as a pet is also different from state to state?

Remember this is a "union" of separate states not some big country that just got split up into states for administrative convenience ...

Actually you should be thankful that all of the states drive on the same side of the road ...

It's not. I keep trying to remind myself each state is like a European country...sometimes I forget.

At least it would cut down on having to or not having to take a test when you moves states. Just a money making/keeping people in jobs thing IMO.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

California is a crafty state when it comes to residency especially for tax reasons and could determine you to be part-year resident, or even determine you received income from a California source and thus need to pay taxes on it.

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_1031.pdf

Creative state to find ways to tax people, example: Airline crews who spend more then 50% of their scheduled flights inside California have to pay taxes in California even if they live in another state.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm well as for driving, after having explained the various dilemma's this poses, I think we're going to take a trip "home" to Virginia at some point after I get to CA and get my license sorted that way.

As for taxes more generally, M. will continue to be paid from his home base in the same way that he is now, so it really is an extended assignment for him and I have to assume he and his employer know what they are about. His organisation run this programme yearly with a number of staff being transferred from one base to another right across the country, so they've dealt with this issue before.

With regard to me, I'll obviously not be able to work until I get the EAD (hoping that's the right term lol!) sorted and given that there will only be a few months left for us actually to be in CA after this, then in all likelihood I'll be a lady of leisure. I will fill my days with crafting, being a home maker, some volunteering if I can find something that might suit and generally being a kept woman. Jez won't I just be a real Martha Stewart apart from the tax evasion OBVIOUSLY
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Hmm well as for driving, after having explained the various dilemma's this poses, I think we're going to take a trip "home" to Virginia at some point after I get to CA and get my license sorted that way.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Then if you're stopped, you can look the cop in the eye and say that your home is Virginia.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Jez won't I just be a real Martha Stewart apart from the tax evasion OBVIOUSLY
Actually Martha Stewart wasn't convicted of tax evasion or insider trading - she was convicted of lying to federal agents ...

... but you definitely don't want to do that either
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I can vouch for what a pain CA taxes are. I assume the OP's hubby will still be paid by his company in VA, by a regular paycheck issues as usual when he is physically in VA?

My husband lives and resides permanently in Arizona. His clients are mostly in California, so he opened a workshop here and stays there several weeks at a time. He pays rent on the workshop, and of course pays utility bills for the phone, electric, etc there at the workshop. The business headquarters (main office) is in Phoenix.

Unfortunately, he gave his clients the physical address of his workshop (well, he had to, so they'd know where their rugs are going), but the clients then addressed the 1099's (self employment end-of-year tax statement) to the workshop in CA. He of course got a notice a year later that he had failed to file a CA state tax return, since he showed earnings in CA and never filed a tax return (we did it in AZ).

So now each year we have to file a CA tax return on top of our AZ one, and send proof to CA that he resides in AZ and pays state tax here. We don't have to pay the CA state tax because we pay in AZ, but we have to prove to CA that we do live elsewhere and file tax in that state.

And getting his clients to change the address on the 1099's they send out, so they would send them to AZ has been like pulling teeth. Every year they say oh yes, we'll change it, and then they don't.

It's a big hassle, I tell ya.

Oh, hubby's State ID is Arizona, and he's never had a problem showing his ID from Arizona in CA. He doesn't drive, so that solves the Drivers License question for him.

Rene
Oh my ... I think I have some research to do regarding my situation!

I"ve been in AZ for about 5 months now, on and off (more on than off) and my CA-plated car is here permanently (I drove it down months ago and now leave it here, using rentals when I fly back home). I started off in hotels, but then moved to furnished rentals, and am now about to close on a condo here. So I'm probably going to need to re-register my car here (I believe you need to do it 30 days after being 'resident' - not sure what that means when you maintain two homes - you could say I've been resident since I started paying rent, but then - it was paid as expenses by my company).

I'm using my CA drivers license; I presume I don't ever have to change that, as long as I maintain a home in CA, and spend 'some' time there each year (I'll prob. be there 3 months this year). I presume you can't have two licenses ...

I also need to consider taxes. My employer is AZ based, but they maintain an office in CA, and my current 'official' office is in CA; the address on my paycheck is CA; and I pay CA taxes. Given my residence in AZ, I could probably claim AZ as my primary, and pay AZ state taxes, and thus offset CA taxes. I also need to be able to deduct my mortgage interest on the AZ place, and my CA place ...

Note - even though AZ state income taxes are lower, the difference is not significant enough (in my view) to warrant going through hoops to pay AZ tax instead. So if it matters, I could probably say, 51% of my time is still in CA ... if that matters...

Edit - AZ marginal state tax is 4.24% once you are above an income of $50k; CA marginal state tax is 9.3% once you are above an income of $47k; hmm .... maybe it IS worth paying AZ tax and ofsetting it against CA ... hmmm

Yikes - I need to consult a tax dude I think !!!! Got any suggestions, Noorah ?

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 16th 2009 at 9:32 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually Martha Stewart wasn't convicted of tax evasion or insider trading - she was convicted of lying to federal agents ...

... but you definitely don't want to do that either
Ohhhh well thanks for the correction, guess I didn't pay too much attention to the news/case and will make not to self .... DO NOT LIE TO FEDERAL AGENTS!!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow Steerpike I think you just made by brain bleed!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also worth checking with your auto insurance if you are still insured if you are keeping it out of the state. Our insurance stipulates that the car must be kept in NJ...apart from odd trips, holidays etc...but not for an extended period of time.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Oh my ... I think I have some research to do regarding my situation!

I"ve been in AZ for about 5 months now,
She's not current with California tax rules, or I'd hook you up with my mom who's BTDT. She just reported quite an adventure trying to get the AZ car registration nonsense done.

Seems from what you've said over a few varied threads that there could be a definite advantage for you in switching state residency...
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes - I need to consult a tax dude I think !!!! Got any suggestions, Noorah ?
Hi Steerpike

In our situation, everything Sadegh spends in LA (workshop rent, utilities, transportation, etc) is tax deductable for his business, because he is there at his clients' requests. We only own a home in AZ, so only one mortgage to claim.

I use a CPA to do our taxes, and although I can't rave about him, he's been OK to work with....mostly I gather up all the information and hand it over to him...he gets back to me with the results. He's located in Mesa at Guadalupe & 101 Freeway. Let me know via PM if you want the contact info. Since he's a CPA, I"m sure he's there year-round and can answer your tax questions.

Rene
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Also worth checking with your auto insurance if you are still insured if you are keeping it out of the state. Our insurance stipulates that the car must be kept in NJ...apart from odd trips, holidays etc...but not for an extended period of time.
Oh man, I need to take a day off and look into all this sh*t !!!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh man, I need to take a day off and look into all this sh*t !!!
Tell me about it. Our daughter lives in Toronto...it took almost 6 months and several hundred dollars to get her NJ drivers licence exchanged for an Ontario one. In the meantime she was having problems with the auto insurance company...they only cover US licences for 30 days.

We were going to import her US licenced car to Canada but decided in the end it was just too much hassle.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

princessyoga is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I revive this thread to ask a question?

Would I have to taken another practical test? I initially took drivers ed etc and got a CA driving license at 16 (in 1991). I then transferred that to a Massachusetts license when I moved to Boston. That has since expired but I still have it. I am a considered a MA resident for voting purposes. When moved here 11 1/2 years ago. I took the test for a Northern Irish license.

So when I move back to San Diego anyone if I can just have my CA license reinstated, transfer my MA license and will I have to go the whole process again?

I know that dh will have to start from scratch since he has only ever had a Northern Irish license.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.