Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Feb 21st 2020, 1:41 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Given how many attempts it took for me to get, they can take my UK license from my cold, dead hands
Or you hand the licence over, and then tell DVLA you lost it, so they issue you a replacement.

I've 'parked' my UK DL at my parents address, just in case we decide to move back to the UK - I don't want to lose my towing entitlements. I've heard reports of the DVLA losing entitlements when reissuing licences.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
if by ‘parked’ you mean you have given the DVLA their address as your home address...that is illegal. Please do not suggest such a thing on BE.
I mean, you can't even tell them an address abroad so what are you supposed to do? Leave it somewhere you can't get post to?

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

vinayvijay is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for all the information shared.

can anyone recommend any good app to study for the theory test for NewJersey? I can't find any official app like how we got for the UK

thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Derek_255 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vinayvijay
Hi All,
A quick question we moved from Scotland to NewJersey and I am in the process of getting a Drivers License.
I was under the impression that I will have to go through the whole theory and practical test to get a driving license
but few people have told me because I got a full UK Driving license I don't need to give theory test
is that right ?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

It depends on your current status.

If you have your green card then you will be required to complete a blue form $30 at your nearest DMV. Then take it to local clerks office and arrange your theory and eye test exam. If you pass eye and theory they will issue driving license $21. Prices vary by state.

If you are here on work visa or immigration status applied for you will have to provide proof of residence and then you'll have to do the pratical driving test as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Derek
(expat Irvine Scotland)

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
I mean, you can't even tell them an address abroad so what are you supposed to do? Leave it somewhere you can't get post to?

https://twitter.com/dvlagovuk/status...198656?lang=en
You do not change the address, you cannot change the address if you are no longer a UK resident. You cannot give an overseas address. It is illegal to give a UK address when you are not a resident. If you return to live in the UK, contact the DLVA and they will renew your DL with the address of your new residence.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 22nd 2020 at 10:53 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:07 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

if by ‘parked’ you mean you have given the DVLA their address as your home address...that is illegal. Please do not suggest such a thing on BE.
What law have I broken?

I am unable to provide the DVLA with my US address, so I just left it registered to my last address. I moved back with my parents after selling my house, prior to moving to the USA.

I know I can't drive my parents car when I visit, since I won't be insured, due to not being a UK resident. I didn't find a UK insurer who would add a non UK/EU driving licence to the policy when I wanted to add my US wife to my policy whilst I lived in the UK and she was visiting.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
What law have I broken?

I am unable to provide the DVLA with my US address, so I just left it registered to my last address. I moved back with my parents after selling my house, prior to moving to the USA.

I know I can't drive my parents car when I visit, since I won't be insured, due to not being a UK resident. I didn't find a UK insurer who would add a non UK/EU driving licence to the policy when I wanted to add my US wife to my policy whilst I lived in the UK and she was visiting.
So you lived with your parents and their address was already on your DL? If that is the case that’s OK...I thought you meant you had changed address to your parent’s address.

BTW your parents may be able to add you to their policy for a few days/weeks. My sister did this so I could drive her car.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 24th 2020 at 6:20 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markh
Hey - Throwing my hat in with personal experience. This from living in NYS. Basically, having a UK licence became irrelevant after residing in NYS so I had to take the test as if a new driver.

Theory test - I just showed up at the DMV and took it. Pretty basic and everything is fairly obvious. Didn't bother with any practice tests.
Driving test - Stage 1 - Had to take a 6 hr 'mandatory' class where you learn things such as what indicators - turn signals - are for.
Driving test - Stage 2 - Road test. Sit with a tester in your own a rental car and drive around the block carrying out standard road craft. Checking mirrors, reversing, stopping in an emergency etc.

TBH its more inconvenience than anything else. Oh and if the laws are similar in NJ, you will have to surrender your UK licence.

edit: remembered I had a rental car for the test.
Same for me.
UK license irrelevant. Applied for learner permit then as per this post, followed the steps. Inconvenient but not difficult.
to be sure not to fail I booked a minimal package with local driving school which meant they took me and I used their car for test. Overall this was similar cost wise to hiring a car but without the hassle to get it, take it back and possibly not be familiar with it at the test.
test itself was a joke, basically just don’t crash...
I didn’t surrender my license, wasn’t asked but then again it expired since anyway and since I’m not a UK resident (although I have valid U.K. addresses) the US license is the legal way to proceed, even when driving in the UK.

the only thing about driving in NYC I found unsettling we’re the sometimes non-existent road markings, the driving style of others and the myriad of obstacles and pedestrians crossing to watch out for, but that’s the difficulty of real driving. As I should of guessed, the test sites are in quiet out of the way places where driving around is totally unchallenging.

Having said that, the guy I went with who had failed 3 times prior failed again... so I guess don’t take anything for granted, as always it pays to be prepared.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
..... Having said that, the guy I went with who had failed 3 times prior failed again... ....
It scares me to try to image what someone might have done to fail a US road test once. .... But four times!
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It scares me to try to image what someone might have done to fail a US road test once. .... But four times!
remember the BE member whose daughter went through a red light during her test and passed? She then went on to total the family car within the week.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

remember the BE member whose daughter went through a red light during her test and passed? ....
See my previous post! .... And people think we're joking when we tell them they'll pass if they don't kill somebody during their test.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

See my previous post! .... And people think we're joking when we tell them they'll pass if they don't kill somebody during their test.
Almost certainly the reason why Florida DMV doesn't do on-road tests...
Old Feb 25th 2020, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

my daughter’s driving test in NJ was in an empty car park when she was 17. Drive forward about 100 yards, then reverse between 2 cones placed 50 yards apart. Congratulations you have passed.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 10:11 am

my daughter’s driving test in NJ was in an empty car park when she was 17. Drive forward about 100 yards, then reverse between 2 cones placed 50 yards apart. Congratulations you have passed. ...
So much for the theory that the joke-of-a-test that most of us were given is because we are clearly seasoned drivers and that young drivers are given a more meaningful test of their roadcraft.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 11:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

So much for the theory that the joke-of-a-test that most of us were given is because we are clearly seasoned drivers and that young drivers are given a more meaningful test of their roadcraft.
when she took her first driving lesson, the instructor took her straight onto the motorway. He said as she would be driving on the highways, she may as well get used to it. She had zero driving experience at that point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.