Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:53 am
Just Joined

vinayvijay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License

Hi All,
A quick question we moved from Scotland to NewJersey and I am in the process of getting a Drivers License.
I was under the impression that I will have to go through the whole theory and practical test to get a driving license
but few people have told me because I got a full UK Driving license I don't need to give theory test
is that right ?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License

Originally Posted by vinayvijay
Hi All,
A quick question we moved from Scotland to NewJersey and I am in the process of getting a Drivers License.
I was under the impression that I will have to go through the whole theory and practical test to get a driving license
but few people have told me because I got a full UK Driving license I don't need to give theory test
is that right ?

Thanks in advance

As far as I can tell, you will have to take the theory test and the vision test and maybe exempted from the practical test.

Either way, it's not a problem. US practical tests are far, far easier than the UK ones and the "highway code" for the theory test is suitable for 12-year-olds.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/driverto...oncitizens.htm
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The theory test is pretty basic, but is usually skewed towards questions about the drunk driving and stopping for school buses, and related penalties. I am not certain about NJ, but in most states even people who have arrived from within the US but out of state, have to do there theory test, but not the road test.

New Jersey is the only state I know of where holders of a full UK licence are, at least sometimes, waived having to do the road test. That said, LiW is too generous, US road tests are an utter joke, less than 10 minutes and about all you need to do is avoid causing an accident.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2020 at 2:05 am.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still take a couple practise theory tests online first.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this in January in Newark, NJ - it's my nearest MVC (read - NJ DMV) that has testing faclities. I've had a full UK Class B license for nearly 10 years, in the US as L1-B.

First time I went I got an examination permit ~$10 that allowed me to take a test, that took approx 1 hour of queuing with everyone getting a new license/out of state. Then they told me the system for theory tests was broken so I went home.

Couple of months later I went at 7:30am for an 8am opening in the cold. Huge queue already, went in and did the test in about 30mins or so. They then said my examiation permit was expired and therefore they couldn't give me my license until I renewed that (I shouldn't have been able to take the test but they didn't check). I also passed the vision test (look into a box and read the letters) just then. Queued again for about 2 hours in the renewal line to get a new permit $10 or so. Once this was done I went back to the written test area, they stamped everything and wrote I94 for the road test section. They took my UK license (was annoyed then I didn't persent it, they had to ask) and checked it was legit under UV light before giving it back and saying go to this queue to get your license. Finally, handed in my examination permit and a few mins later had my basic drivers license in hand.

Some tips:
  • Bring your 6 points of ID and keep handy, they'll ask for it every 5 seconds or so. I had I-94, UK passport, SSN card, bank card and proof of address (lease).
  • Your license will be valid for as long as your I94 not 5 years for locals.
  • Bring a book or you'll die of bordem. Also expect to be basically ignored by the staff.
In short, it's easier than I've heard from UK friends who live in New York (have to rent a car to do the test). But prepare for a big wait. I've also found that local bars etc are much happier with a NJ license than my old UK license.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 18th 2020, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That said, LiW is too generous, US road tests are an utter joke, less than 10 minutes and about all you need to do is avoid causing an accident.
This is going to vary by state, I think. In Michigan where I took my road test, it was almost an hour. There was about 15 minutes in the parking lot where the car was checked and I was scored on backing 90 degrees into a parking spot and parallel parking. Then it was 45 minutes driving on various types of roads including a freeway, with some stuff along the way like asking to adjust radio/climate control without taking eyes off the road, saying what you'd do to a avoid a head on collision in a particular spot, etc. Not very hard especially for an experienced driver, but it was definitely more than the 5 minutes in an empty parking lot many people in this forum said they had to do.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/R...02_21935_7.pdf

Last edited by ss120396; Feb 18th 2020 at 2:09 am.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

thank you for your reply, I am starting to read my theory test now. its a shame they don't have an official app like in the UK.
no mention of exemption of theory test on their website if we got the UK License
Old Feb 18th 2020, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Lion in Winter;12807659]As far as I can tell, you will have to take the theory test and the vision test and maybe exempted from the practical test.

Either way, it's not a problem. US practical tests are far, far easier than the UK ones and the "highway code" for the theory test is suitable for 12-year-olds.

thank you for your reply, I am starting to read my theory test now. its a shame they don't have an official app like in the UK.
no mention of exemption of theory test on their website if we got the UK License

Old Feb 18th 2020, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

markh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - Throwing my hat in with personal experience. This from living in NYS. Basically, having a UK licence became irrelevant after residing in NYS so I had to take the test as if a new driver.

Theory test - I just showed up at the DMV and took it. Pretty basic and everything is fairly obvious. Didn't bother with any practice tests.
Driving test - Stage 1 - Had to take a 6 hr 'mandatory' class where you learn things such as what indicators - turn signals - are for.
Driving test - Stage 2 - Road test. Sit with a tester in your own a rental car and drive around the block carrying out standard road craft. Checking mirrors, reversing, stopping in an emergency etc.

TBH its more inconvenience than anything else. Oh and if the laws are similar in NJ, you will have to surrender your UK licence.

edit: remembered I had a rental car for the test.

Last edited by markh; Feb 18th 2020 at 2:28 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to take the theory test whatever, see the following page: https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/driverto...oncitizens.htm

"After you get the permit, visit any Driver Testing Center to take a vision test, knowledge test and possibly a road test if required. You are not required to surrender your foreign license when MVC issues your New Jersey driver license."

​​​​​​Even if your state makes you had one in, just use a spare uk photo card. I have a stack of them from previous addresses.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

This came up on our internal "USA immigrants" board at work recently. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot as to whether you can get the NJ DMV to waive the road test for someone with a full foreign license. Some co-workers didn't even have to ask, others despite pointing out it's supposed to be DMV policy received a flat refusal. But as others say it's NBD to do the road test in most states.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's not a hard and fast rule it seems. I think having an English language license helps / I'm not sure if it matters how long you've had your foreign license for.

The pain for a road test would be the cost of hiring a car etc. It still took me half a day at least to get one without that part!
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I said they had no right to my DL as it was the property of The Queen. There was no way I was handing it over
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I said they had no right to my DL as it was the property of The Queen. There was no way I was handing it over
Hahaha of course. They gave mine back to me, but I have a stash of them from moves back in the UK and 'forgetting' to send them back to the dvla...

​​​​​
Old Feb 20th 2020, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
Hahaha of course. They gave mine back to me, but I have a stash of them from moves back in the UK and 'forgetting' to send them back to the dvla...

​​​​​
Given how many attempts it took for me to get, they can take my UK license from my cold, dead hands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.