Reload this Page >

Driving Licence in PA

Driving Licence in PA

Old Apr 5th 2005, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Driving Licence in PA

Hi

I recently received my gc after a very stressful time dealing with the paperwork as many I know many have (I have been married to a US citizen for nearly 5 years) and an eventful AOS interview in Phily (but thats for another time). Fortunately everything is now legal and I can at last feel that my life here is permanent.

Anyway, we recently bought a car and I have been driving with a UK licence and I also have an international permit. But do I need to have a US licence? If so, is this any easy thing to get?

Any advice would be much appreciated, and thanks for having such an informative forum that makes missing home so much easier to live with
Old Apr 5th 2005, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Licence in PA

Originally Posted by gloria
Hi

I recently received my gc after a very stressful time dealing with the paperwork as many I know many have (I have been married to a US citizen for nearly 5 years) and an eventful AOS interview in Phily (but thats for another time). Fortunately everything is now legal and I can at last feel that my life here is permanent.

Anyway, we recently bought a car and I have been driving with a UK licence and I also have an international permit. But do I need to have a US licence? If so, is this any easy thing to get?

Any advice would be much appreciated, and thanks for having such an informative forum that makes missing home so much easier to live with

Gloria first of all welcome - there are many threads on this topic, use the search thread tool at the top but quickly - yes you do and yes its easy ! In CA you are suppossed to take it in 10 days of becoming resident

Heres a two good starters to put your mind at ease

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=driving

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=driving
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_resid..._license.shtml

60 days of acquiring residency
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's an easy test compared to the UK one, though the thing is, stick to the speed limits, look over your shoulders, and know the drink drive laws and demerit point system and it's a doddle.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:34 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
As always with these state driving license places, there's usually a bit more digging required. When I moved over in 2002 I found I could drive for a year without getting a license:

If you hold a valid foreign driver’s license with a valid International Driving Permit you may drive up to one year in Pennsylvania before obtaining a PA Driver’s License.Pennsylvania law requires Non-U.S. Citizens to provide a Social Security number unless you have written documentation from the
Social Security Administration that you are not eligible for the number

This quote was from a google search - I can't search the official website at work as it's on a different port number and our firewall blocks it

I got this quote from their website. The driving test is too easy - 15 mins round a small obstacle course and round the block. Just make sure the car front stops at the stop sign, rather than you the driver being level with the stop sign.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
As always with these state driving license places, there's usually a bit more digging required. When I moved over in 2002 I found I could drive for a year without getting a license:

If you hold a valid foreign driver’s license with a valid International Driving Permit you may drive up to one year in Pennsylvania before obtaining a PA Driver’s License.Pennsylvania law requires Non-U.S. Citizens to provide a Social Security number unless you have written documentation from the
Social Security Administration that you are not eligible for the number

This quote was from a google search - I can't search the official website at work as it's on a different port number and our firewall blocks it
I have found that. It appears it applies to both residents and non residents.

Their web site is very good in dealing with every immigrant status and what they need.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...s/pub195nc.pdf

Colorado has a unlimited exemption for foreign licenses IF you are non resident. The PA site goes on about what you needed to prove you are resident but I could not find a definition of what Resident is, must be in there somewhere.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:10 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get a DL anyway. You'll need it as ID sooner or later (US businesses are not required to accept foreign passports as proof of ID). Plus, when a future insurance agent calls DMV, you'll actually have some history with them.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 5:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I'd get a DL anyway. You'll need it as ID sooner or later (US businesses are not required to accept foreign passports as proof of ID). Plus, when a future insurance agent calls DMV, you'll actually have some history with them.
Very good point about the insurance. All the ones we spoke to only give 'good rates' if you've had an in-state licence for 3 years...

Also, whilst I've never actually needed my DL for driving
I don't know what I would have done without it for everything else where one needs ID.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Driving Licence in PA

Thanks very much for all your help, its definitely something I need to get sorted, I think I have just been putting it off as I was nervous. Sounds as if it should be fine as long as I don't get too cocky! I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:39 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You can get a non-DL ID in PA - I had one for about 10 months before my year was up and I was obliged to do the test.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

I hae a PA driving license. I drove for nearly a year on my UK licence. You need to go to a DMV office in PA and get a learner's licence - for that you need to take a written test (on computer). You need to get something like 15 questions right out of 18. The questions are all very simple. You can then schedule your test on the phone or on-line at a testing centre nearest you. Part of the test is in the car park of the DMV and then you get to drive around on the roads for about 10 minutes.

Just one thing - if you have been here for 5 years you are breaking the law by driving on your UK licence. You need to get to the DMV as soon as possible.