Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DRIVING LICENCE

DRIVING LICENCE

Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Lizgym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DRIVING LICENCE

Please can you inform me how to get a USA driving licence in Illinois. I have a UK one. Also do I have to renew it?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE

LMGTFY
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You need to apply for a local license and take any required tests, which vary by state, and a road test. You cannot swap a UK licence for a state license (unless you live in NJ). You only have a limited time to obtain a local license - usually 30-90 days, depending on the state. The road test is an utter joke - stop at red lights and STOP signs, don't speed, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll pass.

Google <DMV Illinois> and you should be able to quickly find the information specific Illinois.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 16th 2017 at 2:49 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The road test is an utter joke - stop at red lights and STOP signs, don't speed, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll pass.
My examiner told me to slow down twice during my road test, and she still passed me with no points deducted!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizgym
Please can you inform me how to get a USA driving licence in Illinois. I have a UK one. Also do I have to renew it?
You cannot renew your UK DL as you are no longer a UK resident. If you move back just notify the DVLA and they will send you a new DL. I would take a pic of it and keep the photo and paper licence in a safe place.

Or do you mean renew the Illionios DL? If so yes...probably every 4 years or sooner depending on the duration of your visa.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 17th 2017 at 10:41 am.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to apply for a local license and take any required tests, which vary by state, and a road test. You cannot swap a UK licence for a state license (unless you live in NJ). You only have a limited time to obtain a local license - usually 30-90 days, depending on the state. The road test is an utter joke - stop at red lights and STOP signs, don't speed, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll pass.

Google <DMV Illinois> and you should be able to quickly find the information specific Illinois.
We still had to take the written and eye test in NJ. Written test was actually surprisingly tough but with some revision, more then passable.
Just be patient when you go to your DMV, be prepared with all your documents and leave yourself plenty of time.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We still had to take the written and eye test in NJ. Written test was actually surprisingly tough but with some revision, more then passable.
Just be patient when you go to your DMV, be prepared with all your documents and leave yourself plenty of time.
Thank you, yes, my post was badly worded and failed to recognize that in NJ you are only excused the rigors of the road test.

You also bring up a good point, that the "written" test is often surprisingly hard, with questions on things like drink driving limits and penalties, the rules for driving near stopped school buses (which vary by state), and stopping distances. Reading the state DMV handbook always makes sense before taking the written test.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, yes, my post was badly worded and failed to recognize that in NJ you are only excused the rigors of the road test.

You also bring up a good point, that the "written" test is often surprisingly hard, with questions on things like drink driving limits and penalties, the rules for driving near stopped school buses (which vary by state), and stopping distances. Reading the state DMV handbook always makes sense before taking the written test.
Written test was definitely harder than the driving for me.

I'd recommend to anyone use the free apps to try at least a practise test before. Don't go in all over confident and end up with a wasted day.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizgym
Please can you inform me how to get a USA driving licence in Illinois.
There's no such thing as a "USA driving license". You will be getting an Illinois driving license.

Ian
Old Aug 17th 2017, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Come on now, you can't say the test is easy... a bunch of people here failed it. I'm not one of them of course, I'm the best driver in Florida.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
.... I'm the best driver in Florida.
That's a pretty low bar.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There's no such thing as a "USA driving license". You will be getting an Illinois driving license.

Ian
ITYM "Illinois driver's license". HTH HAND.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:49 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty low bar.
Yes, it is. For a more detailed analysis of Florida driving I refer you to the research papers of world-class expert, Mr Dave Barry:

Driving while stupid | Miami Herald

Dave Barry: A Floriduh driver’s guide for my teen with a learner’s permit | Miami Herald
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

I asked my girlfriend what she'd done for her test (New York). 20 mins written, 20 mins practical.
I told her about my UK test - hazard perception test on the computer, one hour in the car on multiple road types, different manoeuvres, etc., and she looked at me like I was from another planet
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
I asked my girlfriend what she'd done for her test (New York). 20 mins written, 20 mins practical.
I told her about my UK test - hazard perception test on the computer, one hour in the car on multiple road types, different manoeuvres, etc., and she looked at me like I was from another planet
My daughter's driving test in NJ consisted of driving in a reasonably straight line in an empty car park for a couple of hundred yards. Then reversing between to cones...about 100 yards apart.

I often repeat the following...some years ago the daughter of one of our members ran a red light during her test in Illinois. She passed the test first time. Within the week she had totalled her car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.