British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   DRIVING LICENCE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-licence-901815/)

Lizgym Aug 16th 2017 2:31 pm

DRIVING LICENCE

Please can you inform me how to get a USA driving licence in Illinois. I have a UK one. Also do I have to renew it?

tom169 Aug 16th 2017 2:42 pm

Re: DRIVING LICENCE

LMGTFY

Pulaski Aug 16th 2017 2:46 pm

You need to apply for a local license and take any required tests, which vary by state, and a road test. You cannot swap a UK licence for a state license (unless you live in NJ). You only have a limited time to obtain a local license - usually 30-90 days, depending on the state. The road test is an utter joke - stop at red lights and STOP signs, don't speed, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll pass. :nod:

Google <DMV Illinois> and you should be able to quickly find the information specific Illinois.

rpjs Aug 16th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12317976)
The road test is an utter joke - stop at red lights and STOP signs, don't speed, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll pass.

My examiner told me to slow down twice during my road test, and she still passed me with no points deducted!

Jerseygirl Aug 16th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lizgym (Post 12317961)
Please can you inform me how to get a USA driving licence in Illinois. I have a UK one. Also do I have to renew it?

You cannot renew your UK DL as you are no longer a UK resident. If you move back just notify the DVLA and they will send you a new DL. I would take a pic of it and keep the photo and paper licence in a safe place.

Or do you mean renew the Illionios DL? If so yes...probably every 4 years or sooner depending on the duration of your visa.

Ecto17 Aug 16th 2017 9:05 pm

You need to apply for a local license and take any required tests, which vary by state, and a road test. You cannot swap a UK licence for a state license (unless you live in NJ). You only have a limited time to obtain a local license - usually 30-90 days, depending on the state. The road test is an utter joke - stop at red lights and STOP signs, don't speed, and try not to run over more than one pedestrian and you'll pass. :nod:

Google <DMV Illinois> and you should be able to quickly find the information specific Illinois.

We still had to take the written and eye test in NJ. Written test was actually surprisingly tough but with some revision, more then passable.
Just be patient when you go to your DMV, be prepared with all your documents and leave yourself plenty of time.

Pulaski Aug 16th 2017 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ecto17 (Post 12318342)
We still had to take the written and eye test in NJ. Written test was actually surprisingly tough but with some revision, more then passable.
Just be patient when you go to your DMV, be prepared with all your documents and leave yourself plenty of time.

Thank you, yes, my post was badly worded :o and failed to recognize that in NJ you are only excused the rigors of the road test.

You also bring up a good point, that the "written" test is often surprisingly hard, with questions on things like drink driving limits and penalties, the rules for driving near stopped school buses (which vary by state), and stopping distances. Reading the state DMV handbook always makes sense before taking the written test.

tom169 Aug 16th 2017 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12318349)
Thank you, yes, my post was badly worded :o and failed to recognize that in NJ you are only excused the rigors of the road test.

You also bring up a good point, that the "written" test is often surprisingly hard, with questions on things like drink driving limits and penalties, the rules for driving near stopped school buses (which vary by state), and stopping distances. Reading the state DMV handbook always makes sense before taking the written test.

Written test was definitely harder than the driving for me.

I'd recommend to anyone use the free apps to try at least a practise test before. Don't go in all over confident and end up with a wasted day.

ian-mstm Aug 16th 2017 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lizgym (Post 12317961)
Please can you inform me how to get a USA driving licence in Illinois.

There's no such thing as a "USA driving license". You will be getting an Illinois driving license.

Ian

anotherlimey Aug 17th 2017 1:13 am

Come on now, you can't say the test is easy... a bunch of people here failed it. I'm not one of them of course, I'm the best driver in Florida.

Pulaski Aug 17th 2017 2:07 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12318472)
.... I'm the best driver in Florida.

That's a pretty low bar. :lol:

rpjs Aug 17th 2017 10:34 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12318401)
There's no such thing as a "USA driving license". You will be getting an Illinois driving license.

Ian

ITYM "Illinois driver's license". HTH HAND.

malch Aug 19th 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12318482)
That's a pretty low bar. :lol:

Yes, it is. For a more detailed analysis of Florida driving I refer you to the research papers of world-class expert, Mr Dave Barry:

Driving while stupid | Miami Herald

Dave Barry: A Floriduh driver’s guide for my teen with a learner’s permit | Miami Herald

MorsePacific Aug 23rd 2017 1:57 pm

I asked my girlfriend what she'd done for her test (New York). 20 mins written, 20 mins practical.
I told her about my UK test - hazard perception test on the computer, one hour in the car on multiple road types, different manoeuvres, etc., and she looked at me like I was from another planet :D

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by MorsePacific (Post 12322773)
I asked my girlfriend what she'd done for her test (New York). 20 mins written, 20 mins practical.
I told her about my UK test - hazard perception test on the computer, one hour in the car on multiple road types, different manoeuvres, etc., and she looked at me like I was from another planet :D

My daughter's driving test in NJ consisted of driving in a reasonably straight line in an empty car park for a couple of hundred yards. Then reversing between to cones...about 100 yards apart.

I often repeat the following...some years ago the daughter of one of our members ran a red light during her test in Illinois. She passed the test first time. :eek: Within the week she had totalled her car. :scaredhair: