Driving

Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:15 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
A right-turn-on-red is permitted everywhere in the US, unless otherwise posted, except in New York City. (It is also permitted everywhere in Canada, except on the Island of Montreal.)

The differences in road rules between the states are minimal and largely inconsequential. Where there are speed limit differences, these are posted (no signs lacking numbers, as in the UK), and the signage is consistent enough as to not cause too many surprises.

The most significant differences between the states are in respect to issues that are more relevant to a resident, i.e. registration, title, insurance requirements, etc. But yes, you should pull over whenever an emergency vehicle with its emergency lights are flashing, it is required to give them a wide berth, even if oncoming. (I really don't understand why this would be a problem.)
From a googled article on driving rules and regs within the US and Canada :

Justin JIH (external link verified Jun-03) states that:

Right turns on red arrows are permitted in Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Washington State and Wyoming.

They are not permitted in Alaska, California, Colorado, the District Of Columbia, Georgia, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New York State or Puerto Rico.

Other US state laws make no mention of the subject. Nor is there any mention of the subject in the laws of any of the Canadian provinces and territories.
If in doubt as to whether a right turn on a red light or red arrow is permitted or not, then you can observe the actions of the vehicle in front. If you are the leading vehicle then you will usually be informed rapidly by the driver of the vehicle behind should you fail to turn where such a manoeuvre is legal.
Similar Laws In Other Countries
It is illegal to turn left or right on a red light in Britain. Doing so is regarded as a very serious offence. It would probably be wise to assume that the same applies in all other countries other than the USA and Canada.

road Warrior, You are right on the red light, this same article states that it is permitted in every state (unless otherwise indicated or in NYC as you said )
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

A right-turn-on-red is permitted everywhere in the US, unless otherwise posted, except in New York City. (It is also permitted everywhere in Canada, except on the Island of Montreal.)

The differences in road rules between the states are minimal and largely inconsequential. Where there are speed limit differences, these are posted (no signs lacking numbers, as in the UK), and the signage is consistent enough as to not cause too many surprises.

The most significant differences between the states are in respect to issues that are more relevant to a resident, i.e. registration, title, insurance requirements, etc. But yes, you should pull over whenever an emergency vehicle with its emergency lights are flashing, it is required to give them a wide berth, even if oncoming. (I really don't understand why this would be a problem.)

Undertaking isnt legal in all states i don't think?

Pulling over for emergency vehicles wouldnt be a problem in Europe with small roads - here where the smallest roads are the size of England it seems a little unnessessary - common sense should prevail - although drivers the world over lack that little beauty

whats this with signs lacking numbers in the UK? dont understand what the national speed limit is? there are only 2 its not that hard to grasp!!!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:19 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Passing on the right is legal in all states on divided highways. As the poster said, the differences in driving laws between the states are negligable despite what some British travel guides would have you believe.

whats this with signs lacking numbers in the UK? dont understand what the national speed limit is? there are only 2 its not that hard to grasp!!!
That's a much better system.

I think the reasoning behind certain roads having (say) a 30 limit vs. a 35 or even 40 in the US has more to do with speeding ticket revenues for the towns than safety.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

big difference is seat belt laws, drink/speed law/penalties, young drivers..well there's supposed to not drive with friends after a certain hour around here, can't remember the details because they don't apply, and also not seen it being enforced either...oh, and diamond lanes, different states have different colour/signs on the lanes, but this state doesn't have them at all
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think the reasoning behind certain roads having (say) a 30 limit vs. a 35 or even 40 in the US has more to do with speeding ticket revenues for the towns than safety.
It is daft an't it...and the main reason it is set at 30mph in UK, if your hit by a car doing 30, without bull bars, you have a 50/50 chance of survival, at 35-40, chance of survival drops to sod all, and if a car has bull bars, it'll probably kill you at 10 mph.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You can turn right on red in Canada too?

I thought that one of the neatest things when we first arrived.....I love picking up first time visitors to the US and hearing their cries of consternation when they encounter that first one
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:48 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that undertaking (passing on the right) is actually forbidden anywhere, except for possibly a new law that was recently imposed in Texas. There are laws about keeping right when driving below the flow of traffic, but these laws are virtually unenforced, and the public ignores them.

People here seem to believe that they have a constitutional right to go as slowly as they like, in whatever lane they choose. I remember seeing large signs at the entrances to the Oklahoma Turnpike indicating: "MAXIMUM SPEED: 75 MPH. MINIMUM SPEED: 50 MPH", and wondering why anyone would possibly need reminding of this, until I realized that when I drove 80 mph, I was leaving the locals behind me in a blinding flash of light. Then again, if you had to be in Oklahoma, then you could understand why hurrying to your destination wouldn't be a priority.

Not sure what that white circle with the black hash marks is supposed to mean, but judging from the traffic speed, I'm guessing that the limit must be about 95 mph. (I assume that those roadside cameras are used to commememorate some of the more impressive performances?)
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:53 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
big difference is seat belt laws, drink/speed law/penalties, young drivers..well there's supposed to not drive with friends after a certain hour around here, can't remember the details because they don't apply, and also not seen it being enforced either...oh, and diamond lanes, different states have different colour/signs on the lanes, but this state doesn't have them at all
You're right, I forgot about the seat belt laws and the young drivers, too (although I suspect that not many of us here aren't affected by the latter...) Diamond lanes, too -- they do have a different meaning from place to place, you really do have to read the signs to know what is required.

The DUI limit is now .08 across the country, and I believe that open container laws are now in effect everywhere. Once upon a time, the limits varied quite a bit, and some permitted passengers (or even drivers) to possess open containers, but that's pretty much history now.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what that white circle with the black hash marks is supposed to mean, but judging from the traffic speed, I'm guessing that the limit must be about 95 mph. (I assume that those roadside cameras are used to commememorate some of the more impressive performances?)

It means go like ****! Sorry no - it means national speed limit applies - which is 60 or 70 on dual carriageways (divided highways) a limit that was set years ago and is seriously out of date for the vehicles we drive today (in europe) so the norm is to drive at 80 - 90 in the UK and the police aren't interested unless you are over 80 in most cases.

Cameras are a revenue generator - end of story
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I'm not saying that truck drivers don't speed and have accidents, thats the nature of the beast. I am however saying that I believe speed limiters make trucks more dangerous to ALL road users.
As a truck driver I have to disagree. I am grateful that all trucks are equiped with speed limiters. If they weren't all (or most) truck drivers would think they were Nigel Mansell or Michael Schumacher and they would drive like madmen. Driving at speeds over 60mph with trucks weighing 40 tons in a congested Europe doesn't seem an attractive idea to me. Just think about the distance such truck needs to come to a full stop....
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Toontje
As a truck driver I have to disagree. I am grateful that all trucks are equiped with speed limiters. If they weren't all (or most) truck drivers would think they were Nigel Mansell or Michael Schumacher and they would drive like madmen. Driving at speeds over 60mph with trucks weighing 40 tons in a congested Europe doesn't seem an attractive idea to me. Just think about the distance such truck needs to come to a full stop....
yes but you should be able to over-ride it to get out of dangerous situations or overtake for brief periods
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:14 pm
Bloody Yank

It means go like ****! Sorry no - it means national speed limit applies - which is 60 or 70 on dual carriageways (divided highways) a limit that was set years ago and is seriously out of date for the vehicles we drive today (in europe) so the norm is to drive at 80 - 90 in the UK and the police aren't interested unless you are over 80 in most cases.

Cameras are a revenue generator - end of story
Bloody hell, I was joking, I know the speed limits! I spend too much time exceeding them not to.

Trust me, I've been very watchful of the GATSO's...and yet despite my caution, that still didn't prevent me from once getting a parking ticket for being overparked for literally thirty seconds! I do hope it's possible for a metermaid to suffer death-by-clamping.

By the way, you can thank these guys for getting rid of our abysmal 55 mph limit. (Good riddance to that): http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...on&btnG=Search

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Mar 10th 2006 at 7:17 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bloody hell, I was joking, I know the speed limits!

Trust me, I've been very watchful of the GATSO's...and yet despite my caution, that still didn't prevent me from once getting a parking ticket for being overparked for literally thirty seconds! I do hope it's possible for a metermaid to suffer death-by-clamping.

Sorry assumed you to be yank and ignorant of British ways - plus have had my humour gland removed this afternoon by a bunch of incompetant staff
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

yes but you should be able to over-ride it to get out of dangerous situations or overtake for brief periods
Sorry but I have to disagree again. To get out of dangerous situations you would need the acceleration power of a formula 1 car and a truck surely doesn't have that. And why would you need to overtake if the truck in front of you is driving at the speed limit?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 7:20 pm
Bloody Yank

Sorry assumed you to be yank and ignorant of British ways - plus have had my humour gland removed this afternoon by a bunch of incompetant staff
I am a Yank, but I've been to the UK perhaps once or twice. (OK, I read about it once, but it's too far to visit, and the food scares me.)

You do know that "humor" has only one "u", don't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.