British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-359969/)

Ash UK/US Mar 8th 2006 6:25 pm

Driving

We all like to bitch about US drivers/roads but my question is what is your #1 pev?

Mine... for drivers is those who think they own the road and therfor don't need to use indicators etc... for roads, 4 way stops well actually I should say the 8 way stops (4 way with turn lanes) wtf is that about?

Ash :)

Big D Mar 8th 2006 6:27 pm

Re: Driving

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
We all like to bitch about US drivers/roads but my question is what is your #1 pev?

Mine... for drivers is those who think they own the road and therfor don't need to use indicators etc... for roads, 4 way stops well actually I should say the 8 way stops (4 way with turn lanes) wtf is that about?

I think 4 way stops are great!

my biggest peeve is lack of awareness - which leads to many other peeves!!!

On a plus side - cos you never know who might have a gun road rage isnt much of an issue and you can cut people up pretty easily!!

Ash UK/US Mar 8th 2006 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
I think 4 way stops are great!

The 4 way I can deal with... it is the 8 way stops I have problems with, the one close by us is a pain in the arse. I have seen quite a few near misses on it just in the once or twice a week that I actually use it so it is probably a big accident spot.

Patrick Hasler Mar 8th 2006 6:41 pm

Now I get the chance to bitch about something :D

Blue hairs (old folk) who dawdle along at 10 bellow the speed limit usually in the middle lane of an interstate. Idiots who pull out in front of my 40 ton truck because they don't want to get stuck behind it then crawl along and actually hold me up instead and don't even think that if I am looking in the mirror or elsewhere at the time they will be killed instantly. People who pull to the side and stop when an emergency vehicle is comming .... FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION !!!! Idiots who slow down to look at accidents and I have even seen sad gits stopping to take pctures !

Acording to a radio show I was tuned into one day the worst drivers are of Oriental origin, others say 'Blue Hairs' I recon the worst drivers come from Vermont, they just crawl along totally ignorant of anyone else.

This being the case I would hate to come across a Blue haired chinaman from Vermont. :D

Bob Mar 8th 2006 6:41 pm

It's a tough one....stupid amount of traffic lights that almost always turn red when I get to them...I'd much prefer roundabouts to the 4 way stop signs...

That, and really bad masshole drivers that come to maine :D

Duncan Roberts Mar 8th 2006 6:42 pm

Stop signs drive me crazy. If you don't realize you need to stop when you are turning onto a road and a car is coming, you don't deserve to be driving in the first place. There is a shopping centre by me with a stop sign every 15 yards by the shops, every place where a side road joins the main road, every place that side roads cross and most wankerish, one 10 feet from a traffic light.

Probably the #1 would be drink driving though.

blaze Mar 8th 2006 6:45 pm

[QUOTE=Patrick Hasler]. People who pull to the side and stop when an emergency vehicle is comming .... FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION !!!!

THAT'S THE LAW!!!!!

Big D Mar 8th 2006 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=blaze]

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
. People who pull to the side and stop when an emergency vehicle is comming .... FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION !!!!

THAT'S THE LAW!!!!!

Doesnt mean that it isnt stupid, pointless and ANNOYING!!!

britvic Mar 8th 2006 6:51 pm

Lets go people when the light turns green, so f**king slow, and no I do not own a fast car neither :(

nottsinCT Mar 8th 2006 6:53 pm

[QUOTE=blaze]

. People who pull to the side and stop when an emergency vehicle is comming .... FROM THE OTHER DIRECTION !!!!

THAT'S THE LAW!!!!!

I didn't do that there was 2 lanes it had plenty of room. but the ass of a cop pulled up gave me the roll the window sign and gave me the whole lecture.... you knwo what I gave him the smoke off the back of my tires hahahahahaha (Well i was gonna)....
I have to say the white box truck drivers they are a US version of the White van man..... and people who ar eyakking on the phone getting directions so every street they stop to see.. they are the worst.

Patrick Hasler Mar 8th 2006 6:54 pm

[QUOTE=blaze]

THAT'S THE LAW!!!!!

It's not the law .... the law says pull over if the route of the emergency vehicle is obstructed, not if it has a clean path, you should pull over when it is comming up from behind but when you are driving the other way on a road thats well over 2 lanes wide it is not needed ..... unless the ambulance etc is about 20 feet wide.

blaze Mar 8th 2006 6:58 pm

[QUOTE=nottsinCT]

Originally Posted by blaze
I didn't do that there was 2 lanes it had plenty of room. but the ass of a cop pulled up gave me the roll the window sign and gave me the whole lecture.... you knwo what I gave him the smoke off the back of my tires hahahahahaha (Well i was gonna)....
I have to say the white box truck drivers they are a US version of the White van man..... and people who ar eyakking on the phone getting directions so every street they stop to see.. they are the worst.

Precisely my point, it doesn't matter if it's annoying to other drivers if by law you have to stop! Believe me, I have a lead foot and have had many a minor stroke heading down the interstate and seeing a cop at the very last second! However, things like this are not tolerated by law enforcement, just try passing a stopped school bus and see what happens to you (no, I've never done that either, but I know it's not pleasant if you get caught doing it, bus drivers will turn you into the police!)

Ash UK/US Mar 8th 2006 6:59 pm

[QUOTE=blaze]

THAT'S THE LAW!!!!!

Same in MI too.

Patrick Hasler Mar 8th 2006 7:00 pm

Then there are people who drive up to a stop sign and sit there looking each way for about 30 seconds when you can see nothing in any direction for 2 f**kin miles.

The School bus that stops at rail crossings ... OK OK it's a safety issue, but to sit there for half a minute is riddiculous, especially when you can see for about 3 miles each way ! the trains here travel at 50 mph ... if one was on the horizon it would take ages to reach the crossing.
I sat behind a bus at a crossing one morning and as it sat there the lights came on and we waited .... and waited .... and waited, the train pulled up right next to the crossing, the driver climbed out and got a coffee from the corner gas station and went on his way .... we were there 10 minutes.

britontour Mar 8th 2006 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a tough one....stupid amount of traffic lights that almost always turn red when I get to them...I'd much prefer roundabouts to the 4 way stop signs...

That, and really bad masshole drivers that come to maine :D

The traffic lights here are the same, makes a 10 minute journey into at least a 20. Also traffic lights when you join a main route from a side road take an eternity.