Reload this Page >

Driver's Licence on K1?

Driver's Licence on K1?

Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:59 pm
fun
Forum Regular

fun is on a distinguished road
Default Driver's Licence on K1?

I tried to get my written test done and was told that because I am on K-1 I have to get a special permission from the regional office. Is it the same for everyone or did the guy just gave me wrong information?

Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:05 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driver's Licence on K1?

Originally posted by fun
I tried to get my written test done and was told that because I am on K-1 I have to get a special permission from the regional office. Is it the same for everyone or did the guy just gave me wrong information?

Thanks.
Hi!

I don't know if this varies from state to state, but here in Florida, I asked about that while I was still a fiancee, and they told me I could take the test, as long as I still had 30 days left on my K1 visa. As it turned out, I didn't, so I couldn't take my test. I didn't need any kind of special permission, though, just my regular ID docs. Call your local DMV again, or look on their website for non-immigrant license requirements, and you might get a different answer. Good luck with your test, I have mine on the 18th June!
Kate. xxx
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:09 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Michigan and just presented my UK driver license, Passport and Birth Certificate for the three requested ID elements.

I took and passed the written test. I now have 30 days where I'm permitted to drive accompanied and after that I can take the road test.

My immigration status didn't come into it. I was just treated as a new Michigan resident.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

kariml is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thing2
I'm in Michigan and just presented my UK driver license, Passport and Birth Certificate for the three requested ID elements.

I took and passed the written test. I now have 30 days where I'm permitted to drive accompanied and after that I can take the road test.

My immigration status didn't come into it. I was just treated as a new Michigan resident.
In Kentucky you only have to show 30 days of residency to take the written test and present a SSN. They told me that as long as his German license was valid it was good for up to a year without the KY driver's license.

Kari
Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:00 pm
fun
Forum Regular

fun is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies. I don't have an international licence. I went to the DMV Center and they told me that I will have to go to the regional center to ask for permission to apply for licence. I live in New Jersey. Can anybody assist on this?

I am really confused as I thought that you can drive on K-1.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

You can drive on a UK licence in the USA for a period of time which varies from State to State. In Illinois it is 90 days and at the end of that time, if you havent obtained an Illinois d/l you are stuck. However, in this State the documentation required to apply for a test and licence was clearly identified on the website. Whether or not my K1 visa had x days to run was not an issue.