Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anglo-American Phrasebook

Anglo-American Phrasebook

Old May 28th 2003, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Anglo-American Phrasebook

As we all know the Americans speak their own distinct version of English. What translations into English would you give for any American words or phrases to go into a phrasebook for those who would holiday in the US ?
Old May 28th 2003, 12:33 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anglo-American Phrasebook

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
As we all know the Americans speak their own distinct version of English. What translations into English would you give for any American words or phrases to go into a phrasebook for those who would holiday in the US ?
English _____________ American

This food is delicious _____________ Makes you wanna smack your mama
bum _____________ fanny
arse _____________ ass
bollocks _____________ dagnabit
condom _____________ rubber
rubber _____________ erasure
bonnet _____________ hood
boot _____________ trunck
wheel brace _____________ tyre iron
wheel clamp _____________ denver boot
over there _____________ yonder
gay _____________ fag
fag _____________ ciggerette
courgette _____________ egg plant (or is it zuchini)
telly _____________ tv
brolly _____________ brella
braces _____________ suspenders
suspenders _____________ (forgot)
trousers _____________ pants

I will come back and do some more after I have had a showe and woke up a bit as my brain seems to have stopped working!

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; May 28th 2003 at 12:37 pm.
Old May 28th 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

There is already a couple sites out there on this subject:

British/American dictionary

http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dict.html

And this one you can purchase a book:
Best of British
http://www.effingpot.com/index.html

And here you can find many books on American phrases:
http://www.englishjobmaze.com/bookst...ol-s-up-na.htm

Guess all you newbies to the US don't realise/realize it's a subject that's gone over and over again.

Lisa
Old May 28th 2003, 1:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by stevelisaw

Guess all you newbies to the US don't realise/realize it's a subject that's gone over and over again.

Lisa
As a newbie I didn't, gosh what fun it would of been to discuss it anyway but seeing as Grandma Lisa doesn't want to we will go back to talking about boring old visas.

Now tell me Grandma Lisa did they have cars in your day?
Old May 28th 2003, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Patrick
As a newbie I didn't, gosh what fun it would of been to discuss it anyway but seeing as Grandma Lisa doesn't want to we will go back to talking about boring old visas.

Now tell me Grandma Lisa did they have cars in your day?
Patrick you are as sour as usual.......what didn't get the job you interviewed for a bit ago so back to being crabby Patrick who has nothing to do but be a pain in the rear?

BTW....I'm not that old.....unless you are old as well.
Old May 28th 2003, 2:21 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick you are as sour as usual.......what didn't get the job you interviewed for a bit ago so back to being crabby Patrick who has nothing to do but be a pain in the rear?

BTW....I'm not that old.....unless you are old as well.
I am not sour, it was a perfectly nice thread and you came in with your size tens and pooh poohed it, what do you write on toilet walls - killjoy was here!

Yes I know its road well trodden but if you don't want to participate leave it be no need to come in and be so negative maybe the newbies want to discuss the differences in the language, its interesting and never boring.

I wasn't crabby until you called me crabby and now I feel like a real grouchy bear, no wonder steve plays tetris all the time.

Patrick
Old May 28th 2003, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wasn't crabby until you called me crabby and now I feel like a real grouchy bear, no wonder steve plays tetris all the time.

Patrick
Actually hubby only plays tetris when I'm busy with something else like a television program I like he doesn't........normally we play games together in co-op on the Xbox or PS2. (Even entered a tournament together next month for Halo) I like it when he is the top and encourage him to beat anyone that tries to outdo him. Lately he's been working so with his business, he hasn't had time to play Tetris or anything else (well we did just finish Return to Castle Wolfenstein together on co-op.....the worst game we've ever played glad to reach the final stage.)

LOL.....so you are wrong on why he plays Tetris. He's not a grouchy bear, but a snuggle bear to me. (A very handsome one too.)

Lisa
Old May 28th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

But that does not explain why you go round writing killjoy is here on public loos.
Old May 28th 2003, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

But that does not explain why you go round writing killjoy is here on public loos.
I avoid public Loos/Bathrooms due to all the germs and ickiness that abounds in them. But obviously you two must spend much time reading their walls.
Old May 28th 2003, 3:26 pm
Pagan Sex God

I avoid public Loos/Bathrooms due to all the germs and ickiness that abounds in them. But obviously you two must spend much time reading their walls.
Missing the point Lisa (much like the grandma thing) - the point is why did you try and kill the thread (even if you thing its been done before) why didn't you just let it go. It really has nothing to do with toilets or age. Thanks for the insight into you brain though, interesting!

Patrick
Old May 28th 2003, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Missing the point Lisa (much like the grandma thing) - the point is why did you try and kill the thread (even if you thing its been done before) why didn't you just let it go. It really has nothing to do with toilets or age. Thanks for the insight into you brain though, interesting!

Patrick
Oh wah I didn't kill you thread you mardy baby.....I just stated that it's been done so many times before. To the point there are books on it.
Old May 28th 2003, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cool

Must be time of the month or something. Typical man-hating female deal I guess..........
Old May 28th 2003, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Must be time of the month or something. Typical man-hating female deal I guess..........
OMG.....you are neanderthal.....just what the US needs more of....we grow enough of our own here we don't need to be importing them as well. I feel sorry for your wife.....that is if you have one.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Living prrof that the yanks do not understand irony I guess !
Old May 28th 2003, 4:27 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Aubergine is eggplant. Courgette is zucchni (however you spell it!)
Yes there are books on the language difference. There are books on emigration to the US. There are books on everything. But the internet is much more fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.