British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drive to Scotland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drive-scotland-347735/)

Triumphrob Jan 11th 2006 6:45 pm

Drive to Scotland

Dear all
We are going home to visit in May, and staying in my home town Farnham Surrey. We want to go and visit Scotland. Question is, would it be better to rent a car and drive, or get a train to Edinburgh and then rent a car, or any other ideas?
Thanks
Rob

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 11th 2006 6:46 pm

Re: Drive to Scotland

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Dear all
We are going home to visit in May, and staying in my home town Farnham Surrey. We want to go and visit Scotland. Question is, would it be better to rent a car and drive, or get a train to Edinburgh and then rent a car, or any other ideas?
Thanks
Rob

Get a car, shoot up the M1 to Leeds then pick up the A1 all the way up. Its a pleasant drive once you're north of Watford Gap. Bout a 10-12 hour drive to the border I'd say.

britchicknyc Jan 11th 2006 6:53 pm

I would think its a personal preference thing.

I'd hate to be in the car for that long, so I'd get the train and then a car once there.

Book the train ahead of time and you'll get a cheap ticket: www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.qjump.co.uk

anotherlimey Jan 11th 2006 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I would think its a personal preference thing.

I'd hate to be in the car for that long, so I'd get the train and then a car once there.

Book the train ahead of time and you'll get a cheap ticket: www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.qjump.co.uk

My sister lives in Scotland and she always gets the train, booking the ticket early to get a cheap fare.

Other options she has taken were the bus to London, or a flight from Stanstead (or maybe Luton?).

paul_TX Jan 11th 2006 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
My sister lives in Scotland and she always gets the train, booking the ticket early to get a cheap fare.

Other options she has taken were the bus to London, or a flight from Stanstead (or maybe Luton?).

Easyjet is a good option depending on how many of you there are. Then rent a car at Edinburgh airport. They fly LGW-EDI and you can find flights/fares on www.easyjet.com. I had a quick look for mid-may and they have fares of £15.99 each way available. Depends on dates of course, but certainly worth a look.

Big D Jan 11th 2006 7:08 pm

Fly? you can probably get some good deals and its less hassle, then hire a car when you get there?

paul_TX Jan 11th 2006 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Easyjet is a good option depending on how many of you there are. Then rent a car at Edinburgh airport. They fly LGW-EDI and you can find flights/fares on www.easyjet.com. I had a quick look for mid-may and they have fares of £15.99 each way available. Depends on dates of course, but certainly worth a look.

Actually, a quick check on www.travelocity.co.uk and I found BA round trip LHR-EDI for £68.00 each including taxes!! Same fare for British Midland.

Triumphrob Jan 11th 2006 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the ideas guys. any idea how long it would take to make the drive approx?
Rob

Celsius Jan 11th 2006 7:16 pm

Dear all
Thanks
Rob

If you're going for a vacation, surely you'd rather not spend a lot of time driving? You can catch a train from Kings X to Edinburgh and pick up a car on arrival. It may not be cheaper but it's certainly more relaxing, especially if your wife has not been to Scotland before.

Hour after hour of British motorway is probably not the most memorable of scenes...

Owdhamer Jan 11th 2006 7:22 pm

I really would advise getting the train at least one way, and taking in Glasgow while you are in Scotland. A fine city - especially the West End.

The section of the train journey between the Lake District and Hamilton covers some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK.

Then Glasgow to Edinburgh takes around 1 hour on the train.

Enjoy your trip - jammy bugger!

HoosierDaddy Jan 11th 2006 7:28 pm

Rob - I would guess that LHR is not too far from Farnham, so check out the bmi website (www.flybmi.co.uk) as they often have some "much cheapness" deals up to EDI. I normally fly into LHR then hop on bmi when I'm going home.
I'm going next month to show off my 1 year old daughter as half the family haven't seen her yet, although I am getting a car at LHR and driving up (going via Whitby to see a sister). I wish petrol was the same price as here.....

Sooooo looking forward to some steak bridies & decent fish suppers :D

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 11th 2006 7:30 pm

Thanks for all the ideas guys. any idea how long it would take to make the drive approx?
Rob

I refer you post #2.

snorkmaiden Jan 11th 2006 7:30 pm

Rob

The AA Route Planner should give you some idea of how long it will take.

BigDavyG Jan 11th 2006 7:33 pm

Rob

Fly
Will be far cheaper than train

HoosierDaddy Jan 11th 2006 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

RAC has a cracking one too.

britontour Jan 11th 2006 7:38 pm

Dear all
Thanks
Rob

I'd fly, my ex use to live in Edinburgh I dove it once and never again, it all depends on traffic nothing worse than being sat in traffic on a warm humid day. Flyings just as cheap these days if you book in advance even cheaper than the train, I used to fly nearly every weekend from London Luton.

clydegirl Jan 11th 2006 8:02 pm

Dear all
Thanks
Rob

Fly or get a train to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Then you will have more time to spend in beautiful Scotland.

It would be a long drive 10/12 hours.

Wish I was going.

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 11th 2006 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Fly or get a train to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Then you will have more time to spend in beautiful Scotland.

It would be a long drive 10/12 hours.

Wish I was going.

And miss out all the beautiful parts of Northern England and the Borders!?

Its not the arrival but the journey that counts. People are too determined to get somewhere as fast as possible these days and they miss out all the bits in between.

clydegirl Jan 11th 2006 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And miss out all the beautiful parts of Northern England and the Borders!?

Its not the arrival but the journey that counts. People are too determined to get somewhere as fast as possible these days and they miss out all the bits in between.

Just a suggestion ,we don't know how much time he has to spend when he gets there.
Yes it is a nice drive, used to do it when I lived in B'ham.

Rushman Jan 11th 2006 8:31 pm

Get a car, shoot up the M1 to Leeds then pick up the A1 all the way up. Its a pleasant drive once you're north of Watford Gap. Bout a 10-12 hour drive to the border I'd say.

I could do London (Heathrow) to just shy of Glasgow (Lesmahagow) in 9 hours in a truck!! Have done Dagenham to Scotch Corner in 4.5 hours (pre speed limiter days).In neither of these regular journey's did the truck go over 70 mph.
I reckon he could do Heathrow to Edinburgh in under 8.5 hours (not including stops).

Rushman Jan 11th 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

Notoriously innaccurate I'm afraid.

Rushman Jan 11th 2006 8:36 pm

I've been up the M1, M18, A1 more times than I care to remember. I would personally fly. The route is only really scenic in some parts of North Yorks and then north of Newcastle through to Edinburgh. The rest is mind numbingly boring!! :zzz:

britontour Jan 11th 2006 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
I could do London (Heathrow) to just shy of Glasgow (Lesmahagow) in 9 hours in a truck!! Have done Dagenham to Scotch Corner in 4.5 hours (pre speed limiter days).In neither of these regular journey's did the truck go over 70 mph.
I reckon he could do Heathrow to Edinburgh in under 8.5 hours (not including stops).

Trouble is some jerks bound to have and accident or roadworks that put you in traffic for hours.

Pre speed limiter days how many years ago are you talking, was there any other traffic on the road?

Rushman Jan 11th 2006 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by britontour
Trouble is some jerks bound to have and or roadworks that put you in traffic for hours.

Pre speed limiter days how many years ago are you talking, was there any other traffic on the road?

Speed limiters came in during the mid 90's. I left Dagenham at 10.20 in the morning and arrived at Barton truck stop at 2.45 that afternoon AND that was when most of the A1 was dual carriageway and not upgraded to motorway. I was in my old Volvo F1012 (my first owned truck and it was a complete shed, a 1978/79 ). I just sat at about 65 to 70 mph with the odd burst on straight empty stretches up to 75 mph. So anyone could that in a car today.

dunroving Jan 11th 2006 10:13 pm

Have to agree with the comments on the beautiful train journey.

If you have the time, go on the train. Book early enough via TheTrainline.com and you can get a good deal (but you have to either have the ticket mailed to a UK address or pick up at the station - and not all stations have a pick-up facility).

Also agree re: visiting Glasgow. I prefer it to Edinburgh personally.

FlyergirlUK Jan 12th 2006 12:08 am

Is that driving backwards or something?
Used to take me 'n' the ex 8-9 hours driving from Cornwall to Edinburgh, well, Fife, to be exact.

DaveC Jan 12th 2006 1:04 am

Originally Posted by dunroving
Also agree re: visiting Glasgow. I prefer it to Edinburgh personally.

I have to disagree with that. I think Edinburgh's much better as a city and for tourist attractions. I mean it has a castle and stunning views to the Pentlands and across the Forth into Fife!! What does Glasgow have to offer? Plus, it always seems to rain when I go to Glasgow ;).

If it was my trip, I'd take the East coast by train from London to Edinburgh. If all goes well the rail journey will be about 4 1/2 hours.

If I was driving then I'd go up the West Coast on the M6/M74. Birmingham will be a 'mare but it'll be clear after that.

dunroving Jan 12th 2006 2:03 am

Originally Posted by DaveC
I have to disagree with that. I think Edinburgh's much better as a city and for tourist attractions. I mean it has a castle and stunning views to the Pentlands and across the Forth into Fife!! What does Glasgow have to offer? Plus, it always seems to rain when I go to Glasgow ;).

If it was my trip, I'd take the East coast by train from London to Edinburgh. If all goes well the rail journey will be about 4 1/2 hours.

If I was driving then I'd go up the West Coast on the M6/M74. Birmingham will be a 'mare but it'll be clear after that.

That's your prerogative - I said I like Glasgow better personally, not that Glasgow is better.

Sure, Edinburgh has all the older historical stuff, but I prefer the feel of Glasgow more. Architecture may not be as old or posh, and there's no castle in the middle of town, but I prefer the style, I like the Modern Art Museum, enjoy the West End more than anything Edinburgh has to offer. Like you said, Edinburgh has more stuff for the tourist, which may also be part of why I don't like it as much.

Each to their own - I still agree that a trip to Glasgow is worth it if you're up that way anyway. Not like it's a half-day trip to get from one to the other.

And there's no way I would drive it - personally. Much rather sit back on the train and enjoy the trip.

DaveC Jan 12th 2006 11:47 am

That's your prerogative - I said I like Glasgow better personally, not that Glasgow is better.

I recognised that, and your right to express your opinion. If the OP has limited time in Scotland then the capital city is by far a better tourist destination than Glasgow - if that's what they want to see

Each to their own - I still agree that a trip to Glasgow is worth it if you're up that way anyway. Not like it's a half-day trip to get from one to the other.

Sure, the two cities are relatively close. But if a visitor has limited time then I can't think of a good reason why they would want to leave Edinburgh on the most expensive train journey in Europe to visit Glasgow or drive across on the congested M8.

Ray Jan 12th 2006 12:32 pm

Dear all
We are going home to visit in May, and staying in my home town Farnham Surrey. We want to go and visit Scotland. Question is, would it be better to Rob

Stay in Farnham... why would you want to go to that cold place where they speak no English...

Here's a thistle ..that scottish enough ..

http://www.southernskyphoto.com/macr...es/thistle.jpg

clydegirl Jan 12th 2006 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Stay in Farnham... why would you want to go to that cold place where they speak no English...

Here's a thistle ..that scottish enough ..

http://www.southernskyphoto.com/macr...es/thistle.jpg

Ye'r cruisin furra bruisin ;)

AmerLisa Jan 12th 2006 1:20 pm

You don't have to take the A1 all the way up, we never did.

AmerLisa Jan 12th 2006 1:21 pm

The rest is mind numbingly boring!! :zzz:

You went the wrong way then..... :rolleyes:

Rushman Jan 12th 2006 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Is that driving backwards or something?
Used to take me 'n' the ex 8-9 hours driving from Cornwall to Edinburgh, well, Fife, to be exact.

Er no. That was in a 38 ton articulated lorry not a car...you do it quicker!!!

Rushman Jan 12th 2006 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You went the wrong way then..... :rolleyes:

No, I think I know the UK major trunkroads a little bit better than you. infact make that European trunkroads.

tony_2003 Jan 12th 2006 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by DaveC

Have to agree mate...although I have a slight bias.
Glasgow does nothing for me. If you're a shopper and party animal then head there. If you want to see and do a bit more then Edinburgh is the place. Also the pentland hills are beautiful and only a few miles outside the city.

When I was going for my visa I made the Edinburgh to London East Coast train trip numerous times because of *** ups. The views are amazing.

FlyergirlUK Jan 12th 2006 9:44 pm

Er no. That was in a 38 ton articulated lorry not a car...you do it quicker!!!

I meant your estimate of the OP's trip! lol

Unless, that is, he'll be driving a lorry not a car... :D

AmerLisa Jan 12th 2006 10:27 pm

No, I think I know the UK major trunkroads a little bit better than you. infact make that European trunkroads.

Well I never claimed to know the European roads, but I've been up the A1 a few fair times and crossing over the A66 and up to Scotland and the drive is very scenic.

Rushman Jan 13th 2006 3:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I meant your estimate of the OP's trip! lol

Unless, that is, he'll be driving a lorry not a car... :D

I'm sorry I presumed that the OP will not be averaging 80 mph for the whole 550 to 600 miles/8 or 9 hour drive in a car that doesn't require a fuel stop or two and will piss in a temporary colostomy bag so as to not have to stop the whole trip.

Rushman Jan 13th 2006 3:24 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well I never claimed to know the European roads, but I've been up the A1 a few fair times and crossing over the A66 and up to Scotland and the drive is very scenic.

As I said "North Yorkshire and North of Newcastle"

and WTF has the A66 got to do with it? The OP is going from London to Edinburgh he wont touch it.