Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drive to Scotland

Drive to Scotland

Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:45 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drive to Scotland

Dear all
We are going home to visit in May, and staying in my home town Farnham Surrey. We want to go and visit Scotland. Question is, would it be better to rent a car and drive, or get a train to Edinburgh and then rent a car, or any other ideas?
Thanks
Rob
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drive to Scotland

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Dear all
We are going home to visit in May, and staying in my home town Farnham Surrey. We want to go and visit Scotland. Question is, would it be better to rent a car and drive, or get a train to Edinburgh and then rent a car, or any other ideas?
Thanks
Rob
Get a car, shoot up the M1 to Leeds then pick up the A1 all the way up. Its a pleasant drive once you're north of Watford Gap. Bout a 10-12 hour drive to the border I'd say.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I would think its a personal preference thing.

I'd hate to be in the car for that long, so I'd get the train and then a car once there.

Book the train ahead of time and you'll get a cheap ticket: www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.qjump.co.uk
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I would think its a personal preference thing.

I'd hate to be in the car for that long, so I'd get the train and then a car once there.

Book the train ahead of time and you'll get a cheap ticket: www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.qjump.co.uk
My sister lives in Scotland and she always gets the train, booking the ticket early to get a cheap fare.

Other options she has taken were the bus to London, or a flight from Stanstead (or maybe Luton?).
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
My sister lives in Scotland and she always gets the train, booking the ticket early to get a cheap fare.

Other options she has taken were the bus to London, or a flight from Stanstead (or maybe Luton?).
Easyjet is a good option depending on how many of you there are. Then rent a car at Edinburgh airport. They fly LGW-EDI and you can find flights/fares on www.easyjet.com. I had a quick look for mid-may and they have fares of £15.99 each way available. Depends on dates of course, but certainly worth a look.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Fly? you can probably get some good deals and its less hassle, then hire a car when you get there?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Easyjet is a good option depending on how many of you there are. Then rent a car at Edinburgh airport. They fly LGW-EDI and you can find flights/fares on www.easyjet.com. I had a quick look for mid-may and they have fares of £15.99 each way available. Depends on dates of course, but certainly worth a look.
Actually, a quick check on www.travelocity.co.uk and I found BA round trip LHR-EDI for £68.00 each including taxes!! Same fare for British Midland.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:13 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the ideas guys. any idea how long it would take to make the drive approx?
Rob
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all
Thanks
Rob
If you're going for a vacation, surely you'd rather not spend a lot of time driving? You can catch a train from Kings X to Edinburgh and pick up a car on arrival. It may not be cheaper but it's certainly more relaxing, especially if your wife has not been to Scotland before.

Hour after hour of British motorway is probably not the most memorable of scenes...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:22 pm
Owdhamer

I really would advise getting the train at least one way, and taking in Glasgow while you are in Scotland. A fine city - especially the West End.

The section of the train journey between the Lake District and Hamilton covers some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK.

Then Glasgow to Edinburgh takes around 1 hour on the train.

Enjoy your trip - jammy bugger!

Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:28 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Rob - I would guess that LHR is not too far from Farnham, so check out the bmi website (www.flybmi.co.uk) as they often have some "much cheapness" deals up to EDI. I normally fly into LHR then hop on bmi when I'm going home.
I'm going next month to show off my 1 year old daughter as half the family haven't seen her yet, although I am getting a car at LHR and driving up (going via Whitby to see a sister). I wish petrol was the same price as here.....

Sooooo looking forward to some steak bridies & decent fish suppers
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the ideas guys. any idea how long it would take to make the drive approx?
Rob
I refer you post #2.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
The AA Route Planner should give you some idea of how long it will take.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:33 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
Fly
Will be far cheaper than train
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:36 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
The AA Route Planner should give you some idea of how long it will take.
RAC has a cracking one too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.