Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Double Standards

Double Standards

Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Double Standards

Sometimes I am amazed at the double standards on the television here.

Earlier this year we had all the furore surrounding Janet's nipple and the subsequent censorship issues that followed, with delayed broadcasts in case a naughty actor did something dreadful like use a swear word.

Now it would appear CBS plan to show pictures of Diana as she was dying.

I just find this tasteless. Why do we need to see pictures of the poor woman as she was dying? I think her poor sons have been through quite enough and it must be upsetting for them to know someone has these pictures and plans to broadcast them.

BBC Story

We don't get to see too many graphic images of war here as it's apparently too disturbing for the American public but we do get to see a young mother dying - it just seems out of whack to me.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Double Standards

Originally posted by snorkmaiden

Earlier this year we had all the furore surrounding Janet's nipple and the subsequent censorship issues that followed, with delayed broadcasts in case a naughty actor did something dreadful like use a swear word.

I just find this tasteless. Why do we need to see pictures of the poor woman as she was dying? I think her poor sons have been through quite enough and it must be upsetting for them to know someone has these pictures and plans to broadcast them.

BBC Story

We don't get to see too many graphic images of war here as it's apparently too disturbing for the American public but we do get to see a young mother dying - it just seems out of whack to me.
Crazy, why would people want to see that!!! But I bet loads do. I for one will give it a wide birth.

Just noticed this at the end of article:
Clarence House declined to comment on the CBS broadcast
Why would Clarence House comment thats where the dead Queen Mother used to live!!!! What are they talking about?
Suzie
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Prince Charles and his office have moved in there now. It's the official PoW HQ.

The broadcast doesn't surprise me- it was only a matter of time before one of the American networks got their hands on the photos and showed them. I think its appalling and won't be tuning in to see it. Tacky..tacky..tacky...
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I am sure loads of people will want to see it.

It just seems they have a very interesting way of deciding what is and what isn't suitable viewing.

No nipples, but dying women are ok, cut the swearing in violent films but leave the violence.

My personal favourite to date was when I was watching the Matrix one day and Neo looks at Agent Smith and gives him "the flipper" - Neo saying flipper instead of finger just about burst my spleen I was crying with laughter.

The Usual Suspects was fantastic with the swearing removed I can tell you.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:20 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Story

Hope it's not on at the same time as Extreme Makeover.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

BBC Story

Well, I have just finished watching this program, and the picture they showed was nothing to write home about. It was very grainy, but you could tell it was her, it was only a head shot.

The more I hear about what happened to her that night, the more I think she was murdered.

The facts I think speak for themselves, as far as I am concerned anyway.

The driver, Henri Paul supposedly was 3 times over the legal limit, and supposedly had a large amount of prescription drugs in his system as well. Yet when you view the video of them leaving the Paris hotel that evening, he appeared to be walking and talking normally. Anyone with that much stuff in their system would be falling over.

Then there is Dodi Fayed. No one in their right mind could possibly think that the Powers that be in Buck House would let her marry a muslim. She was the mother of the future king of England and I don't think this would ever have been allowed.

One of the first reports given after her death said that she was pregnant when she died. Then that story died a death, now everyone who was involved with the investigation are saying that she was not pregnant. I am not sure I believe that either. Why would the first reports have said this. I guess it could have been for sensationalism, nothing new in that.

Then there is the fiasco with the white Fiat Uno which supposedly caused the crash. One of the main French 'paparazzi' owned a white Fiat Uno. He gave an alibi about being somewhere else that night, which apparently was corroborated. Then 6 months after her death, he commits suicide. Fishy if you ask me.

I never thought much about her when she was alive I must admit. She was just always a fixture on the telly over there. I think though that once she got free of Charles she really came into her own and I think she had the power to do some amazing things in her own right had she lived. I am sorry she is dead, she did not deserve to die the way she did. I guess we shall never really know what took place that night. It will end up like JFK, lots of speculation and secrecy. Shame really.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 5:19 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

BBC Story

Well, I've seen it. And I had to miss ExM to see it. And I can honestly say I WAS more excited by Janet's nipple.