Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

I have a coworker who swears this is the case. True or not?
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:15 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I think you declare that you do but the Uk government does not recognise it so therefore you get dual (or triple citizenship)
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I was told that if you are born an American citizen and wish to take another countries citizenship you must renounce your American status. My friend has children that were born dual citizens (Belguim/American) and said at a certain age they will have to choose their citizenship.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was told that if you are born an American citizen and wish to take another countries citizenship you must renounce your American status. My friend has children that were born dual citizens (Belguim/American) and said at a certain age they will have to choose their citizenship.

Sorry Jersey but this simply is NOT true!!

There are lots of dual US/UK (or other) citizens here are BE.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

only way you'd lose it is if you got Cuban citizenship

otherwise, you won't, unless you really want to, the US will treat you as a USC and not recognise the other citizenship, and the other country will do the same in most cases.

In the US, you have to enter and leave the country on the US passport, the UK is slightly different there in that you can enter on the US passport if it is valid for the reason for that visit like a holiday, but why bother with going through the phleb line.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

maybe for Belgian citizenship, but not the US....a few countries are like that that have national service, you are required to do national service to maintain that country citizenship at 18. Austria is one of them, I couldn't be arsed with it, they weren't in the EU at the time anyway, but my brother back in the day did....so he had Austrian, GB and Oz....hmmm.....
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry Jersey but this simply is NOT true!!

There are lots of dual US/UK (or other) citizens here are BE.
I said 'I was told' the information not that it was definitely true.

PS So why was the Licence Plate thread closed and who was the joker having go at 'Our Ray'? Wish the mods. would give a reason when they close a thread....I know you're really busy but it would be nice.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I said 'I was told' the information not that it was definitely true.

PS So why was the Licence Plate thread closed and who was the joker having go at 'Our Ray'? Wish the mods. would give a reason when they close a thread....I know you're really busy but it would be nice.

It turned into a slanging match - comletely pointless. Someone being nasty to our Ray...
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is probably down to the other country. My colleagues are insistent (and this I believe) that if someone is a citizen of India or China, and they become a USC, they will lose their Indian or Chinese citizenship, not enforced by the US, but by India and China.

It's pretty strange, because if they DO lose the citizenship of the country of their birth, AND somehow lose US citizenship (fraudulent process, etc) then they would be stateless!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
maybe for Belgian citizenship, but not the US....a few countries are like that that have national service, you are required to do national service to maintain that country citizenship at 18. Austria is one of them, I couldn't be arsed with it, they weren't in the EU at the time anyway, but my brother back in the day did....so he had Austrian, GB and Oz....hmmm.....
If you only have Belguim citizenship you have to renounce it to become a citizen of another country.....But if you are born with dual nationality you do not.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:41 pm
Homebody

If you only have Belguim citizenship you have to renounce it to become a citizen of another country.....But if you are born with dual nationality you do not.

Aahhhh those Belgians - no sense of fair-play...
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Aahhhh those Belgians - no sense of fair-play...
Nah!! Hercule Poirot was all for fair play
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:58 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Nah!! Hercule Poirot was all for fair play

All right then... But I don't see the point of Belgium other than the chocolate
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

[QUOTE=Elvira]All right then... But I don't see the point of Belgium other than the chocolate [/QUOTE

Besides Cabury's is much better.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:04 pm
Homebody

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
All right then... But I don't see the point of Belgium other than the chocolate [/QUOTE

Besides Cabury's is much better.
!!!

I wouldn't go that far...

Credit where it's due and all that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.