Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by Elvira
All right then... But I don't see the point of Belgium other than the chocolate
Beer, people, let's not forget the beer ...

Last edited by Britdrinker; Jun 12th 2006 at 8:35 am. Reason: pisspoor grammar
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does US citizen have to give up US citizenship if they take another citizenship?

Originally Posted by Britdrinker

flat tyre rocks
Old Jun 12th 2006, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that USA was one of the countries that reserves the right to revoke US citizenship if a born US citizen takes citizenship of another country. If they do that sort of thing is another thing altogether though.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard this one myself.

When my wife came over to live in England, she made a few enquiries into getting herself British citizenship. Nearly everyone she asked over here about it suggested that she'd have to renounce her US citizenship first.

In the same way that they make immigrants renounce our other nationalities (although that doesn't hold any water back in Britain) they expect US citizens to renouce there citizenship before taking another countries citizenship. Apparently.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:03 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon

When my wife came over to live in England, she made a few enquiries into getting herself British citizenship. Nearly everyone she asked over here about it suggested that she'd have to renounce her US citizenship first.

In the same way that they make immigrants renounce our other nationalities (although that doesn't hold any water back in Britain) they expect US citizens to renouce there citizenship before taking another countries citizenship. Apparently.

Nonsense!!!!

"suggested"?

"apparently"?

The only countries that I know of (there *may* be others, but the US and the UK, and most European countries, are not among them!) that do not allow dual citizenship are India and China.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
PS So why was the Licence Plate thread closed and who was the joker having go at 'Our Ray'? Wish the mods. would give a reason when they close a thread....I know you're really busy but it would be nice.
OP request.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think it is probably down to the other country. My colleagues are insistent (and this I believe) that if someone is a citizen of India or China, and they become a USC, they will lose their Indian or Chinese citizenship, not enforced by the US, but by India and China.
Aye, some countries are like that, though to a certain extent you can protect yourself as long as you apply for permits for new citizenship in advance like with Germany and Japan, and with India, you lose citizenship, but I think you still have a right to abode there or something along those lines.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
and the motorway, boring as it is, it is the most lit motorway in the world *lol*
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I was under the impression that USA was one of the countries that reserves the right to revoke US citizenship if a born US citizen takes citizenship of another country. If they do that sort of thing is another thing altogether though.
You have to show that you are abandoning it for you to lose it, so sodding off and not paying US tax would get you in bother, as would moving to Cuba....
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon

That's what I was told.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
OP request.
Thanks Bob.....was it a case of 'if you can't stand the heat.....' ?
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thanks Bob.....was it a case of 'if you can't stand the heat.....' ?
somin' like that, and it getting a bit silly, and I couldn't be arsed to keep up while watching the footie
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
somin' like that, and it getting a bit silly, and I couldn't be arsed to keep up while watching the footie
Sorry if our posts are interfering with your footie Bob.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I have a coworker who swears this is the case. True or not?
hiya sb

I highly recommend Rich Wales' Dual Citz FAQ (the whol doc is great actually):
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html
(original doc has all the links intact)

2. But I thought US law didn't permit one to be a dual citizen -- that if you were (by birth or otherwise), you either had to give up the other citizenship when you came of age, or else you'd lose your US status. And that if you became a citizen of another country, you'd automatically lose your US citizenship. So what's all this talk about dual citizenship?

It indeed used to be the case in the US that you couldn't hold dual citizenship (except in certain cases if you had dual citizenship from birth or childhood, in which case some Supreme Court rulings -- Perkins v. Elg (1939), Mandoli v. Acheson (1952), and Kawakita v. U.S. (1952) -- permitted you to keep both).

However, most of the laws forbidding dual citizenship were struck down in 1967 by the US Supreme Court. The court's decision in this case, Afroyim v. Rusk, as well as a second case in 1980, Vance v. Terrazas, eventually made its way explicitly into the statute books in 1986; up till that time, the old laws were still on the books, but the State Department was effectively under court order to ignore them.

Rules against dual citizenship still apply to some extent to people who wish to become US citizens via naturalization. The Supreme Court chose to leave in place the requirement that new citizens must renounce their old citizenship during US naturalization. However, in practice, the State Department is no longer doing anything in the vast majority of situations where a new citizen's "old country" refuses to recognize the US renunciation.

The official US State Department policy on dual citizenship today is that the United States does not favor it as a matter of policy because of various problems they feel it may cause, but the existence of dual citizenship is recognized in individual cases. That is, if you ask them if you ought to become a dual citizen, they will recommend against doing it; but if you tell them you are a dual citizen, they'll usually say it's OK.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 10:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hiya sb
I highly recommend Rich Wales' Dual Citz FAQ (the whol doc is great actually):
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html
(original doc has all the links intact)
Thanks Mo .. I was just looking for Rich's site ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.