Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does this still hold true in England?

Does this still hold true in England?

Old Dec 12th 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CitySimon
This summer I trecked down to PA with my wife and a cousin of hers and it was the first time that she had ever left NY state in her entire life!!! That is very scary!!!!! :scared: :scared:

With reference to the overall direction of this thread, I can only echo the sentiments of others and say that many of my friends/relatives/work mates commented that this move was something that they wished they had the "balls" to do themselves.

In my experience, I have found that people in England (generalising) are afraid of change... Many of them do not want to apply for that wonderful new job, they do not want to move to that better house in a better area... and the prospect of moving to a different country/continent is completely terrifying to them!!

The one comment that people said to me more than anything else when I told them I was moving to America was "I wish I could do that"!!!!!

Why to people say this unless they are afraid of change and having a person they know actually doing something they regard as the impossible scares them!!
Because they don't really WANT to. I doubt very much if those same people who " wish they had the balls" are in any way envious or give the whole idea a second thought- people just say things like that- they don't really mean it.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

A bit cynical but I can appreciate your point!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Just the things people say- especially when they have to say something.

Most people I know are quite happy living in UK, and to be honest the moans you hear on these forums about the UK are exactly the same moans I hear from coworkers etc everyday here in the US- taxes, healthcare,government "wish I could get out of this country," "I'd leave tomorrow if I could" ...and so on.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Just the things people say- especially when they have to say something.

Most people I know are quite happy living in UK, and to be honest the moans you hear on these forums about the UK are exactly the same moans I hear from coworkers etc everyday here in the US- taxes, healthcare,government "wish I could get out of this country," "I'd leave tomorrow if I could" ...and so on.
Fair point Taffyles, cynical but fair...

As stated in my original post, my statement was based upon my own experience and is "just my opinion".

I do appreciate what you are saying but in my own experience people get stuck in a rut that is easier to follow than to break out of... People have the same house, job, lifestyle all of their young lives whether they like it or not...

For many people I have met it is easier for them to grin and bear it than to stand up and walk out!!

When I was telling the people at my work that I was going to America, many were genuinely happy for me (they probably wanted my job - thats cynical).. Many told me that they had wanted to move abroad for years... I have found out since that one has started proceedings to move his family to Australia next year...

OK then, maybe I used the wrong wording in my original post... maybe moving abroad has always been regarded as being a dream that many people have but the road to achieve it seems so long that they need to see somebody who has already reached the end to know how long the road is and to show them where they are going!?!

Any comments?? Cynical, naive or just plain bullshit!!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Pulaski
I'm not so sure about it being "unthinkable" twenty years ago as my parents seriously considered emigrating to either New Zealand or Australia a full thirty years ago, visiting both country's London embassies on "fact-finding missions".
Agreed- there's nothing new about this- people have always emigrated. My brother-in-law emigrated to Australia 30 years ago, my sister-in-law to California at about the same time- My Uncle to Canada 25 years ago- and scores of people we've known or heard about.
Brits have "upped and offed" ever since the worldwide race to colonise started- as a nation we have always travelled widely and emigrated too. UK is a tiny overpopulated island- in the British Empire days- the cure to overpopulation was tempting Brits out to colonies to live.