Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Old May 5th 2007, 12:41 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What does that say for your famous American patriotism?

I certainly don't owe this country anything. If anything, given the skills I bring to this country, America owes me!
Ok,its perfectly fine to admit how you feel.What its says about me since you ask is that I make the effort to appreciate those opportunities which I know could have easily been offered to some one else.No one is saying we all must think the same.Its called individualism.Others might call it character.BTW,why must stereotypes be used to describe Americans? I will show that I'm the bigger person by not returning the favor.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:51 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Yankee, The expats who post on these boards did not come here to escape oppression or poverty, nor were they displaced refugees. Those were the people who knelt and kissed the earth when they arrived.

I have been here for more than half my life, I am a USC and I have no desire to live in the UK, I came along with the "brain drain" of the sixties, married an English girl i met here, raised a family, but I am still English, I cannot go back in time and change my formative years.

I would suggest that when the leopard goes to work in the country of the tigers, he will adapt to the ways of the tigers, but he will not be able to trade his spots for stripes, he will still be a leopard.

I would further point out that the refugees who kissed the earth on arrival, did not assimilate, they formed ethnic groups and left it to their children to "feel" American. At the same time though, they wanted their children to keep the old customs and to marry within the community.

I worked for American companies in London, for almost all my working life before I came here, and few of my American colleagues from those days showed any sign of assimilating, they formed a "little America" in London.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:14 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Yankee, The expats who post on these boards did not come here to escape oppression or poverty, nor were they displaced refugees. Those were the people who knelt and kissed the earth when they arrived.

I have been here for more than half my life, I am a USC and I have no desire to live in the UK, I came along with the "brain drain" of the sixties, married an English girl i met here, raised a family, but I am still English, I cannot go back in time and change my formative years.

I would suggest that when the leopard goes to work in the country of the tigers, he will adapt to the ways of the tigers, but he will not be able to trade his spots for stripes, he will still be a leopard.

I would further point out that the refugees who kissed the earth on arrival, did not assimilate, they formed ethnic groups and left it to their children to "feel" American. At the same time though, they wanted their children to keep the old customs and to marry within the community.

I worked for American companies in London, for almost all my working life before I came here, and few of my American colleagues from those days showed any sign of assimilating, they formed a "little America" in London.
What a wonderful post.You put a human face on why its important to retain apart of who you were before you made your transition to America.I love a poster who can weave a story.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

As usual PG a brilliant post.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As usual PG a brilliant post.
Yup, I do enjoy his "story" posts,
Old May 5th 2007, 1:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

most of us are secure enough in our nationality not to want to be something else.

Indeed I'll hazard a guess that the major reason most Brits take the oath is so they can actually leave the USA for a length of time rather than an indication of staying a length of time.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:48 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Sound like less than half of you want to be American or even want to be in America.Maybe its just a choice of economics? If I were to move to England I would fly the Union Jack more than the Old red white and blue because I would owe it to the country which gives me shelter and took me in as one of their own.But that is just me.
To be honest I have found that the Americans abroad do not seem to like other Americans. I was once manager of a jewellery store on QE2 for over a year and most Americans requested to sit at a 'British table' for meals and were annoyed if not. However, if they are LIVING abroad as opposed to visiting they do seem to form groups as far as I have seen in London. I have lived in New York for so many years that although I still have a British accent and will always feel like a Brit, I am a British New Yorker.

You mention 'gives me shelter and took me in as one of their own' but that is not always the case. I was chatting on a bus queue to a lovely lady about the crosstown bus being very few and far between that day and someone shouted 'If you don't like it here, get back to your own country'!!!!! I heard a European saying something about the rain the other day and she was met with the same cry. Also, the giving shelter, had I not worked every day of my life here I would have no shelter or medical benefits. Nothing is given here, everything is earned (and that is the way it should be, I am not complaining, just mentioning it) I had a very good job in the UK and lovely flat. Same here. I belong to a few British charities in NY and to the American Red Cross.
Old May 5th 2007, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Sound like less than half of you want to be American or even want to be in America.Maybe its just a choice of economics? If I were to move to England I would fly the Union Jack more than the Old red white and blue because I would owe it to the country which gives me shelter and took me in as one of their own.But that is just me.
Question. Have you ever lived overseas?
Old May 5th 2007, 1:52 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Oooops, just to add, the British charities I belong to, we are all Brits but the money goes to American charities. We are not working to send money home.
Old May 5th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I just started my Citizenship process,although I've been here for 19 years (PHEW!!!,the time has REALLY flown!),the only reason I haven't started the Citizenship process before was because it would've meant running back and forth to Chicago(we both hate the place!),there are lots of things I will always miss about the UK,but I also know things have changed a lot over there since I left,I like living here,and there's been a lot of changes since I've been here as well,nothing ever stays the same,no matter where you are,becoming a USC isn't going to make me any less English than I am right now,I'll still have my accent (if it hasn't changed by now,I doubt it ever will!),I'll still do everything the way I always have.....I'll just be an English-American!
I lived in Germany for three years,I was always amazed that so many of the other Brits I was there with,wouldn't even attempt to speak German,and moaned all the time about the Germans not speaking English,even if they could....I really loved living there,and even though I didn't speak German,I tried,and picked up enough to do my shopping as well as a few simple sentences,I made lots of mistakes as well,and everyone would laugh,but then they'd also help me out because they knew I was trying,thats what made the difference.........I didn't go to Germany expecting everything to be done 'the English way',and that's the same way I feel about living here...if I wanted everything to be 'just like in the UK',I would've stayed in the UK.....I live in America,so it's up to me to adapt to living here, if I want to enjoy living here....I have and I do...but I'm SO glad there's a World Market nearby,and a British section in Miejers!! ......Sophia
Old May 5th 2007, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
most of us are secure enough in our nationality not to want to be something else.

Indeed I'll hazard a guess that the major reason most Brits take the oath is so they can actually leave the USA for a length of time rather than an indication of staying a length of time.
yup, i'll agree with that
Old May 5th 2007, 3:25 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We are two Brits and so it is hard to join in with US traditions.
I know what Thanksgiving is, I know what to cook but it doesn't have any meaning for us. We don't have family memories or family traditions of Thanksgiving.
If you come here to marry a USC you can take on board their family stuff and learn about special US things.

We always keep Boxing Day because we've grown up with it and do special things. It is harder because we don't have a lot of others around on Boxing Day.

We join in with everything but we will always be English.
Old May 5th 2007, 3:31 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I certainly don't owe this country anything. If anything, given the skills I bring to this country, America owes me!
How would you feel about a fat Yank in London wearing a NASCAR shirt and whining about how Britain owes him?
Old May 5th 2007, 3:41 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hiro11
How would you feel about a fat Yank in London wearing a NASCAR shirt and whining about how Britain owes him?
The UK is full of eccentrics. What's one more?

Old May 5th 2007, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I just started my Citizenship process,although I've been here for 19 years (PHEW!!!,the time has REALLY flown!),the only reason I haven't started the Citizenship process before was because it would've meant running back and forth to Chicago(we both hate the place!),there are lots of things I will always miss about the UK,but I also know things have changed a lot over there since I left,I like living here,and there's been a lot of changes since I've been here as well,nothing ever stays the same,no matter where you are,becoming a USC isn't going to make me any less English than I am right now,I'll still have my accent (if it hasn't changed by now,I doubt it ever will!),I'll still do everything the way I always have.....I'll just be an English-American!
I lived in Germany for three years,I was always amazed that so many of the other Brits I was there with,wouldn't even attempt to speak German,and moaned all the time about the Germans not speaking English,even if they could....I really loved living there,and even though I didn't speak German,I tried,and picked up enough to do my shopping as well as a few simple sentences,I made lots of mistakes as well,and everyone would laugh,but then they'd also help me out because they knew I was trying,thats what made the difference.........I didn't go to Germany expecting everything to be done 'the English way',and that's the same way I feel about living here...if I wanted everything to be 'just like in the UK',I would've stayed in the UK.....I live in America,so it's up to me to adapt to living here, if I want to enjoy living here....I have and I do...but I'm SO glad there's a World Market nearby,and a British section in Miejers!! ......Sophia

Good to see you Sophia How's the quilting going? I haven't been able to do any for ages - too busy with the business, kids schooling and teaching

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.