Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:10 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Originally Posted by Bob
Down my way, they make it out to be a big issue, but reality doesn't match up.
That's an interesting point. I haven't looked into it in any detail, but I get the impression that, round here, they make out that DWI's a big deal but it's really all about revenue generation. Seems you can buy your way out of most things, or at least pay to have them expunged after the fact, come to mention it.

ISTR that it can mess with your eligibility for a CHL, though.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
He actually endorsed one of our county Sheriff candidates...not that I was voting for that particular idiot anyway, but it hardly helped him...

Besides which the whole "endorsed by so and so" usually makes me vote the opposite!!

and yes, I agree, he is..
I thought of Sheriff Joe in comparison when I met a local Sheriff the other day. He was a class act yet very imposing (intimidating?) at the same time. Made Joe look like a buffoon.

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 1st 2010 at 9:13 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's an interesting point. I haven't looked into it in any detail, but I get the impression that, round here, they make out that DWI's a big deal but it's really all about revenue generation. Seems you can buy your way out of most things, or at least pay to have them expunged after the fact, come to mention it.
Around here, they don't really bother. Speeding though, they do like getting you for that.

Maine, they're pretty rubbish about that, but they do nail out of state cars, because unlike a lot of places, you have to contest a ticket in person even if you have a lawyer and if it is a state highway, you've got to go way up to Augusta.

Cheeky thing, unlike most places on the interstate which have those yellow speed signs on the exits which are guidance, they are proper speeds, so your going from 65 to 30 bang on the exit and at the end of the month, you'll see police cars 6-10 lined up waiting to pull people over, always out of state plates.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:05 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Around here, they don't really bother. Speeding though, they do like getting you for that.

Maine, they're pretty rubbish about that, but they do nail out of state cars, because unlike a lot of places, you have to contest a ticket in person even if you have a lawyer and if it is a state highway, you've got to go way up to Augusta.

Cheeky thing, unlike most places on the interstate which have those yellow speed signs on the exits which are guidance, they are proper speeds, so your going from 65 to 30 bang on the exit and at the end of the month, you'll see police cars 6-10 lined up waiting to pull people over, always out of state plates.
Ok...its not all about tickets...

But yes some state agencies do have a hard on for writing tickets, as its a money maker...
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark23
...I got into a bit of trouble and ended up getting charged with assault/battery and got 6 months in county jail...
If you can't tell us about the circumstances - what happened to the 'other guy', etc - then it's hard to calibrate whether or not they were 'too tough', isn't it?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
He's a media whore and a fool.
You got that right! He is very harsh on those who are cruel to animals though, and I like that.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:30 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If we are comparing US to UK it is a no brainer.

I certainly agree with the need for just one force, voting for Sheriff also struck me as weird.
Multiple police departments are a counter to corruption of a local force and because each are charged with enforcing different sets of laws. Having a force for incorporated areas (police), the unincorporated areas and judicial system (the sheriff) and the areas inbetween/multiple jurisdictions (state troopers) provides coverage to different sets of laws in different areas with different procedures. It also is a counter to any one official becoming too powerful in a specific area and ruling it like a fiefdom, though in reality they often work together quite frequently. But if you had a problem with a police officer and were not getting anywhere through their chain of command, you have the write to file a complaint with the state police or even the FBI to seek redress.

In case you are wondering, in many counties the coroner (i.e. Medical Examiner) also has law enforcement powers--they are the only one who can arrest the sheriff for violations of law. In fact, if you tallied up all the authorities with legal power in your area you'd be in for a huge surprise--everything from US Postal Police to university cops.

Checks and balances...
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Ok...its not all about tickets...

But yes some state agencies do have a hard on for writing tickets, as its a money maker...
Thing is, if it's following the letter of the law, that's one thing. Up in Maine, along that stretch of 295, you never see a ME plate pulled over at the end of the month.

It's just a money earner. Quite a few small towns out that way too rely pretty much on speeding tickets to fund the town which is also a little sad.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Republicans crow that government is too big..... maybe, but I think there are too many governments, city, county state and federal? each with their own police forces? please do me a favour............ I don't need 4 police forces to look over me thanks.
You hit the nail on the head. While they go on about that nasty "Big Government", often their own state and local government are poster children for overspending and waste!

He's a media whore and a fool.
Couldn't agree more. He moans about Federal government intrusion in his affairs yet had he not made himself so high profile, they might have left him alone. He only has himself to blame but he doesn't see that. Idiot.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:58 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, if it's following the letter of the law, that's one thing. Up in Maine, along that stretch of 295, you never see a ME plate pulled over at the end of the month.

It's just a money earner. Quite a few small towns out that way too rely pretty much on speeding tickets to fund the town which is also a little sad.
I totally agree with you...

I have found that east coast, west coast and everywhere in between agencies all do different things and enforce somewhat differently...

Here in CA they teach to enforce based upon the "spirit of the law" not the letter, the spirit being the intent of the legislature when the laws were written..I think its quite fair. Use your discretion (when you can), and be reasonable....

You are right about the small towns...
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Mark23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect you were charged with felony assault/battery. Although misdemeanor charges can usually carry up to 1 year in jail, generally the judge just gives them a slap on the wrist. However when it is a felony charge, anything can happen.

Did you put the other person in the hospital? Were any weapons involved?
Yeah that was the charge and I was told that if I went to a trial I could get a couple of years in prison instead of jail so I agreed to plead guilty. I know it sounds bad but for some reason I picked up a bottle and used it. Like I said I felt bad about once I saw what I had done.

Originally Posted by augigi
Boohoo. Think about not being able to "be online" or "have a beer" before you batter someone. You were treated as a criminal because you are. Must have been a pretty severe incident to get 6 months as a "first time" (US) offender.

"Only been arrested once before"... not normal. Most people haven't been arrested at all. Clearly that episode didn't deter you from offending again. If the US jail stint does, then I'd say it worked perfectly - that's the whole idea of jail.
Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't know enough to comment either way on whether or not the laws are too tough. Having never been on the wrong side of the law, I'm not up to date on the jail sentences for crimes. I do think some laws aren't tough enough (i.e. DUI's). However, if one is actually sent to jail, I have absolutely no problems with the conditions that you mentioned Mark. Jail is not supposed to be fun. You are not supposed to be enjoying it. There should be no tv, no cell phones, no beer, no cigs, nothing that even remotely speaks of 'luxury'. What else would you expect from prison? It's called prison for a reason.

Hell, if I had my way, prisons would have to grow their own food and cotton for clothing, and be forced to do community services as well (i.e. picking up rubbish), and they should receive very little in the way of money from taxpayers (except to pay the salaries of the guards and whatnot). Maybe that would teach people a bit more about personal accountability and respect.
What I was trying to say was that before all this happened I was having a great time - working hard, enjoying the sunshine and going out. I didn't realise how much I would miss just normal thing - going outside, getting up and going to bed when you like, sending an e mail or being online, having a phone, drinking, having a smoke. That was all I meant I didn't expect to be able to do the things I normally would in jail. But going from being able to do all the normal stuff to not being able to just in one day was hard. I was my own person and then became just another guy locked up in a jail with hundreds of others. I know people would think I deserve it and I probably did.

I know alot of people my age who have been arrested - what I was saying was that was the worse that happened to me so far and that I hadn't been in jail.

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Couple of sayings come to mind 'When in Rome' and 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime'.
Bottom line you were in this country and wether you agree with them or not you were subject its laws & legal system.
I know that. I didn't mean to complain about the sentence - more about the way jail is in America and how you are treated compared to back home and things that can happen to people from outside America when they are there and mightn't expect.

I agree. It certainly wasn't some minor altercation.

To the OP - The days of solving your problems with physical violence are long over in the US. You hit people you go to jail. Maybe just for a night or maybe for a very long time ... I guess that all depends on how hard you hit them. You're lucky your victim wasn't carrying a legally concealed weapon.
Like I said before I learnt my lesson and haven't been in any trouble since and have cut down alot on how much I drink.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:43 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Like I said before I learnt my lesson and haven't been in any trouble since and have cut down alot on how much I drink.
Good luck. A lot of people get in trouble when they are young and foolish ... it by no means needs to define who you are for the rest of your life.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

I know that. I didn't mean to complain about the sentence - more about the way jail is in America and how you are treated compared to back home and things that can happen to people from outside America when they are there and mightn't expect.
Back to your original question. I really don't think the way in which the law is enforced in the US is too tough. I do however think that the way the law is enforced in UK is far too soft and that may be as much the fault of the courts as the police.

Anyway, good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:57 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Zonie
Back to your original question. I really don't think the way in which the law is enforced in the US is too tough. I do however think that the way the law is enforced in UK is far too soft and that may be as much the fault of the courts as the police.

Anyway, good luck.
I happen to agree with this. I actually believe that tough sentencing is a deterrent - at least for the portion of the society that might be teetering.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:02 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I happen to agree with this. I actually believe that tough sentencing is a deterrent - at least for the portion of the society that might be teetering.
I'm less certain. The counter argument is that people don't commit crimes in the expectation of being caught. Of course, then it becomes a question of perception and calculation of probabilities and risk, a complex calculus which we know folks are notoriously poor at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.