Reload this Page >

Do you Superbowl?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you Superbowl?
Yes!
54.17%
No!!
41.67%
Maybe this time, but only if Janet is performing!
4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Do you Superbowl?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:07 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you Superbowl?

Here's an interesting look at the Superbowl from a British point of view

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/american...408279,00.html
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:11 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Suprisingly enough, in my encounters there is virtually no correlation between income and credit score. There's quite a high one with intelligence, but I don't think that's where we are on this thread.
There is virtually no correlation between income and credit score.

A pauper can have an excellent score if they manage there meager wealth properly.

Conversely it is perfectly possible for a wealthy person to have lousy credit.

We see this scenario all the time.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:35 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
There is virtually no correlation between income and credit score.

A pauper can have an excellent score if they manage there meager wealth properly.

Conversely it is perfectly possible for a wealthy person to have lousy credit.

We see this scenario all the time.
us too in the insurance business.
even though SF in Mich. don't credit score yet, we have a "new business discount" which some people get and some don't.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
us too in the insurance business.
even though SF in Mich. don't credit score yet, we have a "new business discount" which some people get and some don't.

Are SF going to use their own credit scoring system on the bureaus' data or is there an insurance industry standard? I've heard they don't use the FICO algorithm.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:18 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Here's an interesting look at the Superbowl from a British point of view

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/american...408279,00.html
I found that article ridiculously patronizing a reeking of superiority. Completely obnoxious.

I can't believe the comments I'm reading here. They reflect total ignorance of football and football players:

1. Have you guys ever heard of cornerbacks? How about linebackers? Tight ends? (haw) Fullbacks? In addition to the well known quarterbacks and receivers, all of these positions are played by superbly conditioned athletes. Admit that you don't know what you're talking about.

2. The bashing of linemen shows complete ignorance of the state of football over the last couple of decades. Current linemen are 300 pound guys who bench 500 pounds and can run the 40 in less than 5 seconds. They are monsters. The flabby days of guys like the Fridge are 20 years gone. The guys these days are 100% muscle.

3. Why don't they play more than 16 games? Because this is the most brutal sport in the world. If they played more than 16, every player would be injured. Every game is incredibly punishing for every player on the field. Asking them to play more would mean that every game matters less. In fact, you could argue that the short season is a strength of football: unlike hockey or baseball, there's no endless regular season that dilutes quality of play and fan interest. Every week matters during the NFL season.

4. No strategy? WTF? Once again, this statement springs from ignorance and is almost not worthy of response...but I'm bored and will try anyway. This is a game where plays are planned and practiced with the precision of a military exercise months before they are unvieled. Where guys make millions of dollars a year by sitting in a booth and strategizing over the next play. The quarterbacks have to be able to instantly size up an evolving situation over a split second and react. Balancing the running game vs. the passing game. Called auditibles at the line of scrimmage. Nickle defense, dime defense. Clock management. Go for the field goal or try for a TD? The only part of the game that isn't soaking in planning, strategy and intelligence is special teams. The Patriots have proven that it takes immense strategic thinking to win.

To Americans, soccer (proper football) looks like a bunch of guys running around and feigning knee injuries, that's ignorance. But the same thing can be said about most of the comments here. Don't dis what you don't understand.

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 9th 2005 at 3:20 am.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:27 am

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I found that article ridiculously patronizing a reeking of superiority. Completely obnoxious.
I think you need to look up satire, humour and irony in a dictionary.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:31 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I think you need to look up satire, humour and irony in a dictionary.
I love Ealing comedies. I consider Faulty Towers to be the apex of the sit-com. However stuff like this (from the article):
A savagely drunk crown of 21,000 pelted participants with beer and toilet rolls while outside the Philadelphia venue another drunken mob - 65,000 strong according to some estimates - rained beer bottles on cowering police. One contestant was disqualified for forcing vomit back into his own mouth, thereby breaking the Wing Bowl's controversial but strictly enforced "if you heave, you leave" rule. And a great time was had by all.

It's a rum bugger, this Super Bowl. In the US it's bigger than Christmas. And they've convinced themselves that the rest of the world is equally obsessed. A Simpsons episode shows face-painted Super Bowl fanatics eagerly gathered around flickering TV screens in Beijing, Sydney and New Delhi, A post 9/11 Beetle Bailey cartoon mournfully wonders "why so many people don't like America (when) we've made the world so much more fun" by, among other things, giving us the wonderful gift of American football.

The Super Bowl, we are told repeatedly, is the NFL's "international showcase". It has an "estimated global audience" of (get this) a billion. Commentators routinely refer to the winners as "world champions". And PR types relentlessly hammer home the message that American football is "conquering the world". And it's all a load of fanny.

The Super Bowl is provincial sporting event of strictly limited novelty interest to foreigners. As an international sporting event it rates somewhere between the Pamplona bull run and Gloucestershire cheese rolling. It is a quintessentially and exclusively American event. This is obvious from the pre-show hoohah. A choir of blind and deaf children sing America The Beautiful - in tribute to real American hero, Ray Charles. Two-time American Academy Award winner and recovering American sexaholic Michael Douglas fronts a tribute to the America's "greatest generation".
comes off as the rantings of a complete asshole rather than funny.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:12 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I love Ealing comedies. I consider Faulty Towers to be the apex of the sit-com. However stuff like this (from the article):
comes off as the rantings of a complete asshole rather than funny.
Oh lighten up Hiro. Steven Wells writes this kind of stuff about British football as well. He's having a laugh and I for one find it quite entertaining. There's a big element of truth in quite a lot of that article, particularly the middle two paragraphs of the excerpt you posted.

And it's "Fawlty", not "Faulty".
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:40 am
I approved this message

Originally Posted by elfman
Oh lighten up Hiro. Steven Wells writes this kind of stuff about British football as well. He's having a laugh and I for one find it quite entertaining. There's a big element of truth in quite a lot of that article, particularly the middle two paragraphs of the excerpt you posted.
Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'm just sick of the Guardian's holier-than-thou attitude about everything...particularly the US. But what do you expect...
And it's "Fawlty", not "Faulty".
Data from "Goonies" voice: that's what I said
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:57 am

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'm just sick of the Guardian's holier-than-thou attitude about everything...particularly the US. But what do you expect...
Data from "Goonies" voice: that's what I said
Serves you right (Left) for reading "The Grauniad".