Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Overseas Voting

Overseas Voting

Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:24 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overseas Voting

Today's Daily Telegraph has a good article on Expat Voting.

You should all read it as it mentions the risk of being disenfranchised in the future.

Here is the site where you can download a Voter Registration Form.

The file is too large to upload to this Forum.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas Voting

Interesting. Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:20 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I e mailed the local council of the last town I lived in and they sent me this reply:

Hello Margaret,

If you forward your new address to me I will send you an application form
for you to apply to become an Overseas Elector.
Your qualifying address in the UK would be 63 XXXXX Street, XXXXXXX. You
would be able to vote by post, proxy or in person if you happen to be in the
UK at the time of the elections, at all Parliamentary Elections but not in
Local Elections.
This qualification would be valid for fifteen years.

Regards,

Pat Shilcock,
Electoral Services Officer.

It looks like it may be the same application form for overseas voters living abroad that is on the voting website.

Maggie

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Today's Daily Telegraph has a good article on Expat Voting.

You should all read it as it mentions the risk of being disenfranchised in the future.

Here is the site where you can download a Voter Registration Form.

The file is too large to upload to this Forum.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Went to preview prior to printing and basically got blank sheets. Anyone got any ideas on this please?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:25 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Am I reading the form correctly? They expect you to know when you were last registered to vote in the UK (day, month and year). I could put a year in there but certainly couldn't say what month or day. Anyone think it's safe to just put the year?

Also, the witness section seems to suggest you have to have a British citizen sign who is also not related to you and who also does not live in the UK. I can probably find someone in my company (it's a British company) but how do some people cope with that one? Excuse me if I'm being foolish and I've missed something there but that's what it seems to suggest to me.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Am I reading the form correctly? They expect you to know when you were last registered to vote in the UK (day, month and year). I could put a year in there but certainly couldn't say what month or day. Anyone think it's safe to just put the year?

Also, the witness section seems to suggest you have to have a British citizen sign who is also not related to you and who also does not live in the UK. I can probably find someone in my company (it's a British company) but how do some people cope with that one? Excuse me if I'm being foolish and I've missed something there but that's what it seems to suggest to me.
Just get in contact with the local county where you were registered, it took about a week, but they got back to me, and were very helpful.
And when I sent my forms off, the whole thing was done within about 15 days and the bloke from my old office emailed me to confirm it, which was nice, don't think they have to do that.

As for finding someone that ain't a relative that's a Brit, that knows you, that's tough, I sent mine to a mate in San Fran to sign it, weren't a problem there...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:46 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just get in contact with the local county where you were registered, it took about a week, but they got back to me, and were very helpful.
And when I sent my forms off, the whole thing was done within about 15 days and the bloke from my old office emailed me to confirm it, which was nice, don't think they have to do that.

As for finding someone that ain't a relative that's a Brit, that knows you, that's tough, I sent mine to a mate in San Fran to sign it, weren't a problem there...
Thanks Bob, I shouldn't have a problem getting someone to sign it but there must be people out there who don't know any other Brits abroad. I just wonder how they could cope with it. I'll take your advice and get on to the London borough I was last registered in. Cheers.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do if you've never been registered to vote in the UK? What do you write in that section then?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Thanks Bob, I shouldn't have a problem getting someone to sign it but there must be people out there who don't know any other Brits abroad. I just wonder how they could cope with it. I'll take your advice and get on to the London borough I was last registered in. Cheers.
Yeah, lucky my mate in san fran was around, he only just got back from a long trip, I was about to send it to a make who was in thailand working at the consulate *lol* now that would have been an effort
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dunroving
What do you do if you've never been registered to vote in the UK? What do you write in that section then?
It tells you what to do on the info sheet don't it?
Or just say never registered? cant' remember, but it does say somewhere...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:36 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It tells you what to do on the info sheet don't it?
Or just say never registered? cant' remember, but it does say somewhere...
dunroving might be like me. I was never registered, but I was not 'too young to register' when I left the UK. As far as I can tell, that means I'm disenfranchised.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just a thought, but if you went to uni, chances are they would have registered you automatically...happened to me.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just a thought, but if you went to uni, chances are they would have registered you automatically...happened to me.
And make sure your paying your student loans off on schedule before you register!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
And make sure your paying your student loans off on schedule before you register!
errrr...wouldn't make a difference registering towards student loans...
but anyway, i ain't earning, so don't have to pay it off anyway
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:51 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
errrr...wouldn't make a difference registering towards student loans...
but anyway, i ain't earning, so don't have to pay it off anyway
I would imagine that if a person appeared on the UK electoral register and had not been paying then they would be easily traceable.

Didn't mean you per se. Was just being a smarty pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.