Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:20 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Originally Posted by Bob

We were up for family reunion last week and the missus swung in with a few folks...our little one stole my monster munch, I'm lucky the wife saved the prawn cocktail

Might still have it going as they were clearing stock out for new products, so a case of it all going cheap...
I very nearly punched a woman for the last bag of Monster Munch the last time we were down there. I thought my wife was going to do one of those slow motion movie scream "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" as she dug it out of the bottom shelf.

Might have to take a trip down tomorrow.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The thread title brings a smile to my face... after a few decades here, I can't say I miss either. Living in the Bay Area for 20+ years, I've been spoiled by fabulous Asian food (Asian as in, Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese/Korean/etc), the likes of which I never saw anywhere in UK - maybe things have changed. Finding good Indian food has been a bit more of a challenge but I've found that in Arizona, of all places. Whole Foods Market (as well as several other quality chains) offer up all the quality ingredients I could ever hope for, so I just can't say there is anything I miss other than Marmite flavor Walkers Crisps (actually never had them in UK but my brother tells me they are now available!). I'm currently exploring the wide expanse of decent 'Southwestern' food on offer in the Phoenix area (trying to offset the dire Asian food situation ... ) and also - surprisingly - discovering the best Pizza in America ... (see this also ...)

As for TV - I don't watch a whole lot of TV but I can certainly find enough to entertain myself. With a decent cable package (not cheap I know) you can feast on an incredible amount of stuff.

The trick to not missing things is to find substitutes (for me). When I first came here, I was appalled at the way tea was made; but eventually I got used to coffee, which is generally prepared very well. The same principle applies to most things ... stop worrying about the stuff you can't get, and enjoy the stuff you can get

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 14th 2011 at 9:07 am.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The trick to not missing things is to find substitutes (for me). When I first came here, I was appalled at the way tea was made; but eventually I got used to coffee, which is generally prepared very well. The same principle applies to most things ... stop worrying about the stuff you can't get, and enjoy the stuff you can get
+1
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise how much I missed Brit TV until we went home for a couple of weeks in the winter.
In the USA, we've got 400 or so channels of nothing worth watching!!
I get my Corrie fix on the internet, that keeps me happy!

The only UK food I really miss is real bread, instead of the stuff here that tastes more like cake!
Ohhh... and I'd kill for some real chocolate, instead of the Hershey crap!!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Side note - for those of you with a Fresh Market nearby, try the "Irish Bangers". We thought they were fantastic, full of flavor and perfect for a hearty breakfast.

For bread, skip the supermarket and go to the bakery instead.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

TV easily. As much as I sometimes crave for Walker's Cheese and Onion and donner meat, British food is hardly at the pinnacle of culinary greatness and growing up in Telford, it's not like there were many decent restaurants in proximity.

So happy BBC America is showing Outnumbered and Friday Night Dinner and shown The Inbetweeners, but I do miss shows like Never Mind the Buzzcocks, QI, HIGNFY and the other types of game shows that just don't compare Stateside. Good comedies in general are tough to find, especially since Scrubs got cancelled, but the quality of some of the dramas does make up for it to an extent.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:44 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
donner
Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
meat
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nethead
I can get by without TV, and the foods I can get here. I miss the feeling of familiarity, of how things work and the sense of belonging, or being in the right place. It's not something I find easy to articulate
My thoughts exactly...never feeling I belong. It's like I'm on one long, lonely holiday.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
My thoughts exactly...never feeling I belong. It's like I'm on one long, lonely holiday.
Just wanted to add to the list of people feeling like that.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:33 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Just wanted to add to the list of people feeling like that.
There's rather a few of us, isn't there?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There's rather a few of us, isn't there?
Not to steal your thunder, and not trying to go seriously off topic, may I say a word or two on the subject of the feeling of “not belonging”? I’ll wager there are many American spouses of Brits who no longer feel they “belong” in their own country. Simply by virtue of our connection to you folks and the eye-opening information we get from you and the British news links, we’ve become strangers in our own country. I know I am now such a stranger. Even our foods, by comparison, are unsatisfactory simply because grocery shopping here is an exercise in futility if we want variety and quality.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Not to steal your thunder, and not trying to go seriously off topic, may I say a word or two on the subject of the feeling of “not belonging”? I’ll wager there are many American spouses of Brits who no longer feel they “belong” in their own country. Simply by virtue of our connection to you folks and the eye-opening information we get from you and the British news links, we’ve become strangers in our own country. I know I am now such a stranger. Even our foods, by comparison, are unsatisfactory simply because grocery shopping here is an exercise in futility if we want variety and quality.
I can actually understand that. Given that the USA has been systematically screwed up by 10 years of severly inept governments - and I don't care who I piss off - while I'm no Republican I think Obama sucks just as bad as Bush, just in a different way. I'm not surprised the (and there's no nice way to put this) smarter, non 'flag waving my country right or wrong' brigade Americans are feeling rather disenfranchised.

I'll tell you this, in my ignorance, when I agreed to come live here with my fiancee, I thought I was moving to the USA of the late 90s - and I think this is why I am disappointed. What was once a truly great country has been reduced to a parody of itself and I have to say, if I was Bill Clinton I'd be right pissed off at the moment.

This is, of course, my perception as one who was once an observer from the outside, perhaps you weren't quite heading that direction . Good point though, well made.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

I can actually understand that. Given that the USA has been systematically screwed up by 10 years of severly inept governments - and I don't care who I piss off - while I'm no Republican I think Obama sucks just as bad as Bush, just in a different way. I'm not surprised the (and there's no nice way to put this) smarter, non 'flag waving my country right or wrong' brigade Americans are feeling rather disenfranchised.

I'll tell you this, in my ignorance, when I agreed to come live here with my fiancee, I thought I was moving to the USA of the late 90s - and I think this is why I am disappointed. What was once a truly great country has been reduced to a parody of itself and I have to say, if I was Bill Clinton I'd be right pissed off at the moment.

This is, of course, my perception as one who was once an observer from the outside, perhaps you weren't quite heading that direction . Good point though, well made.
I never really took too much notice of American politics, but Bill Clinton seemed to be a truly good President and did good for this country. The little black dress shenanigans aside, it's a pity someone of his ilk couldn't run. My American husband is disillusioned with all the politics and political "leaders".

This is now totally off subject - and for the original poster, I do actually miss a lot of the food. I am a vegetarian, here it is as if I was asking for the moon sometimes, with veggies on offer being broccoli or squash. You can find vegetarian places to eat, but they are either Asian, Mexican or Italian restaurants - I miss being able to nip in a pub and get a list of veggie meals to choose from.
The food I miss, bread, cheddar cheese, Bisto gravy granules, Quavers, /tunnocks teacakes and of course, the chocolate.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by keaki80
I never really took too much notice of American politics, but Bill Clinton seemed to be a truly good President . . .
That was kind of what I meant - when Clinton was president, you didn't have to take notice of American politics, because what he did made sense. Who cares if he dipped his wick, show me a world leader who hasn't! Kennedy did it a lot and he is (rightly) regarded as one of the great American leaders.

Once Bush-tard II took over, that was the end of the USA deserving to have a place among the world's superpowers. That anti-science, backwards thinking, warmongering fundie cnut pissed this place away over eight years, and now Mr O, the posturing self important twat that he is, has - instead of turning it around as he promised, has continued the decline. As long as his smug face is on the TV and that annoying voice is waffling on, he couldn't care less if China is waiting at the wings to slip one in.

I never did like politics, but moving here has really made me sickened by it. I might actually like living here if we had a Kennedy/Clinton style true progressive take over, but sadly I don't think they exist anymore
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

That was kind of what I meant - when Clinton was president, you didn't have to take notice of American politics, because what he did made sense. Who cares if he dipped his wick, show me a world leader who hasn't! Kennedy did it a lot and he is (rightly) regarded as one of the great American leaders.

Once Bush-tard II took over, that was the end of the USA deserving to have a place among the world's superpowers. That anti-science, backwards thinking, warmongering fundie cnut pissed this place away over eight years, and now Mr O, the posturing self important twat that he is, has - instead of turning it around as he promised, has continued the decline. As long as his smug face is on the TV and that annoying voice is waffling on, he couldn't care less if China is waiting at the wings to slip one in.

I never did like politics, but moving here has really made me sickened by it. I might actually like living here if we had a Kennedy/Clinton style true progressive take over, but sadly I don't think they exist anymore
You echo my thoughts and feelings perfectly. Bravo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.