British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which do you miss most, British food or British TV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-miss-most-british-food-british-tv-728175/)

Squirrel Aug 10th 2011 9:03 pm

Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

I have to admit, I think I would miss the TV the most as I don't watch a lot of American programmes. I like Family Guy and Two and a Half Men, and there have been past series I've liked such as The Sopranos, Friends and the first two series of House (I lost interest when he sacked his 3 strong team!)

There are loads more British shows I'd miss like New Tricks, Inspector George Gently, Merlin, Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, EastEnders, Strictly Come Dancing (OK the US has it's own version of that one). Do they show any of these? I suppose you can get them via the 'net quite easily.

Now food I think the only main thing I'd miss would be brown sauce. I know you can get it in the US (at a price) but they don't offer it at restaurants. And there are plenty of US foods that would more than make up for it like sweet potato fries and peanut butter sauce. OK they don't cater for veggies as good as the UK does buit it's getting better.

How about you?

Orangepants Aug 10th 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Which do you miss most, British food or British TV?

Where in the US do they cater to vegetarians? Is it getting better? I struggle to find even anything that resembles a vegetable or isn't fried or covered in plastic cheese. I used to eat out a lot when I lived in Cayman but now I cook much more at home and spend my eating out time not eating but drinking wine!! (Going to a wine tasting tonight - yummy)
Oh and there's nothing I miss about the UK apart from Battenberg cake and toffee crisps!:wub:

Nutmegger Aug 10th 2011 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9551295)

Now food I think the only main thing I'd miss would be brown sauce. I know you can get it in the US (at a price) but they don't offer it at restaurants.

That conjures up images of Lenny Henry going bonkers when someone asks for the salt to dump on his immaculately prepared dish! :rofl:

And here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixYRIUzVXs

Mummy in the foothills Aug 10th 2011 9:57 pm

I know vegetarians aren't catered to in restaurants like in the UK, ds's new girl is Veg and when we are all out we have to puck the restaurants carefully, I have fond that some have a separate veg menu now, places like Chilis, and she likes that menu.
We had a worse time of it when my friend came to stay, seemed like the only veg choice back then (late 90's) was a veggie burger everywhere we went.

lyonsden1193 Aug 10th 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9551295)
I have to admit, I think I would miss the TV the most as I don't watch a lot of American programmes. I like Family Guy and Two and a Half Men, and there have been past series I've liked such as The Sopranos, Friends and the first two series of House (I lost interest when he sacked his 3 strong team!)

There are loads more British shows I'd miss like New Tricks, Inspector George Gently, Merlin, Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, EastEnders, Strictly Come Dancing (OK the US has it's own version of that one). Do they show any of these? I suppose you can get them via the 'net quite easily.

Now food I think the only main thing I'd miss would be brown sauce. I know you can get it in the US (at a price) but they don't offer it at restaurants. And there are plenty of US foods that would more than make up for it like sweet potato fries and peanut butter sauce. OK they don't cater for veggies as good as the UK does buit it's getting better.

How about you?

Without question ... the food. I can either download or dvr programmes and cope with that..... but foods I would kill for!:)

sir_eccles Aug 10th 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9551440)
I know vegetarians aren't catered to in restaurants like in the UK, ds's new girl is Veg and when we are all out we have to puck the restaurants carefully, I have fond that some have a separate veg menu now, places like Chilis, and she likes that menu.
We had a worse time of it when my friend came to stay, seemed like the only veg choice back then (late 90's) was a veggie burger everywhere we went.

Your problem is expecting chain restaurants to serve decent food.

There are plenty of good vegetarian options available and many more varied that I have seen in the UK (mushroom risotto again!) you just have to look for them beyond the chains.

Sally Redux Aug 10th 2011 10:28 pm

Ooh good question. When we were over a couple of weeks ago I really enjoyed the News, Eggheads :lol: and Escape to the Country :lol: and some silly prank show :lol: but the food was great too. And the cider.

Not much veggie stuff here I find, I was a vegetarian for 22 years before I got here but it's too difficult so I don't bother now.

Englishman43 Aug 10th 2011 10:38 pm

Food - the junk they sell/serve here is killing me (possibly literally)

Bob Aug 10th 2011 10:44 pm

Nothing in particular...got the interwebz for the tele can get the food when needed...but it's the little things I miss the most like when out late, being able to get a manky donna or fish and chips with chunky chips, or cheap but decent cheese or hobnobs.

As for veggy folks, I think it depends where you live...plenty of veg options down my way and even more in Boston and the burbs, even weird vegan stuff. Perhaps no in the fast food joints though.

Elvira Aug 10th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9551479)
Ooh good question. When we were over a couple of weeks ago I really enjoyed the News, Eggheads :lol: and Escape to the Country :lol: and some silly prank show :lol: but the food was great too. And the cider.

Not much veggie stuff here I find, I was a vegetarian for 22 years before I got here but it's too difficult so I don't bother now.

We don't like our food covered in processed cheese, so we very rarely eat out (other than Chinese). I would love to be vegetarian but I do like my seafood and chicken. Luckily where we are there's no shortage of lovely veggies, so I cook plenty of those.

Not much longer though - Northend Road Market soon ;)

Sally Redux Aug 10th 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9551506)
We don't like our food covered in processed cheese, so we very rarely eat out (other than Chinese). I would love to be vegetarian but I do like my seafood and chicken. Luckily where we are there's no shortage of lovely veggies, so I cook plenty of those.

Not much longer though - Northend Road Market soon ;)

I usually choose the veggie options and cook some veggie stuff, but to get enough variety, especially for the rest of the family, I'll cook other things or eat meat at a social event so as not to make a fuss. I could obviously live as a vegetarian if I wanted to dedicate the time to sourcing food which I could previously pick up easily in my weekly shop.

Are you all set for your return?

Elvira Aug 10th 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9551516)
I usually choose the veggie options and cook some veggie stuff, but to get enough variety, especially for the rest of the family, I'll cook other things or eat meat at a social event so as not to make a fuss. I could obviously live as a vegetarian if I wanted to dedicate the time to sourcing food which I could previously pick up easily in my weekly shop.

Are you all set for your return?

The packing is kind of overwhelming...

Sally Redux Aug 10th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9551528)
The packing is kind of overwhelming...

We don't seem to have the BE pub any more, but :drinkwine:

Elvira Aug 10th 2011 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9551534)
We don't seem to have the BE pub any more, but :drinkwine:

I guess it must be wine o'clock somewhere... :sneaky:

:drinkwine:

md95065 Aug 11th 2011 2:02 am

I probably miss British radio more than either the food or the TV but I don't miss any of them very much.