Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

Old May 3rd 2005, 1:32 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you 'keep fit' in the US?

Back home I went to the gym 3/4 times every week, ate all the correct growth stuff etc, etc. Since I got here I've not done a tap. I've noticed I feel like shit, my defined stomach is now a barrell, my chest is going south faster than an old womans, but on the up side I have more money and time to spend on booze.

In my defence I will start soon as I'm close enough to get to a gym.

But for now rest the joints and
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
In my defence I will start soon as I'm close enough to get to a gym.

But for now rest the joints and
local gym now is the Curves, and I don't have the equipment for that place...and it's right next to a greasy cafe, and opposite the chinese buffet place
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
local gym now is the Curves, and I don't have the equipment for that place...and it's right next to a greasy cafe, and opposite the chinese buffet place
I've had a salad for me tea, does that count?
Old May 4th 2005, 12:57 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
can I ask, is it any good, I was thinking of joining Curves, can't be doing with all the hot bodies at LA fitness and places like that..
Hi woodsey just to let you know ,Curves is doing a promotion with the milk people.If you take 2 milk caps in to a curves you can get 2 weeks free.That way you can see if you like it
Old May 4th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of fitness here, I go waterskiing, wakeboarding, kite surfing and scuba diving on a regular basis. Weather and facilities make for so many more possibilities than the UK if you are into watersports. Plus we've got our own small gym with cardio gear and weights.
Old May 4th 2005, 1:59 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
When I first moved here I gained 2 stone!!! I was the heaviest I had ever been. I put that down to a few things, mainly not working for the first time but I also made a friend out here that was quite fat and she would often over indulge and I found myself doing it too when we hung out which was all the time! The funny thing was though that my hubby was really annoyed that I had gained so much weight and kept saying it was ALL my friends fault. Well I had to agree with him I didnt want him to think it was me that ate all the cookies!

Since then I have lost the extra weight mainly because my friend then started the Dr Phil diet and lost loads of weight. Unfortunately she became very preachy about it so in retalliation I lost my weight as soon as possible I simply started eating how I had done in England and it all dropped off.
What's the Dr Phil diet? I'm curious! And well done for losing the weight, that's what I really need to do. Groan.
Old May 4th 2005, 2:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
What's the Dr Phil diet? I'm curious! And well done for losing the weight, that's what I really need to do. Groan.
Would you trust a diet off some fat arsed nonce?
Old May 4th 2005, 2:16 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Would you trust a diet off some fat arsed nonce?
If it works, yes!
Old May 4th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Well the funny thing about the Dr Phil diet is that its not a diet. Well thats how he promotes it anyway. The fact he tells you what to eat, what size portion to have and how much to excercise is irrelavant. To be fair my friend did lose loads of weight and she had been overweight for years. Just when sales of the non diet Dr Phil book dried up he brought out another book although this one was about how to lose weight fast. So he cant preach thats not a diet book any longer. He looks at the reasons why you overeat as well as how to change patterns of behaviour. Over all I would say its a good diet, however it looks like Oprah and Bob Greens diet is quite good to.
Old May 4th 2005, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

If it works, yes!
obviously not for Dr Phil or Atkins though....
Old May 4th 2005, 3:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's like the Curves closest to my workplace. It's in a shopping center and is virtually next doors to a wings place, a Starfux, a Ruddino's (or something like that) and there's also a pizza joint in that same shopping center.

NC Penguin
Old May 4th 2005, 3:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

This is both a pet peeve and a comment about keeping fit in the US.

In a shopping center close to home is a large gym. What gets me is that the members are too f--king lazy to park in designated parking spots, maybe a couple of mins from the entrance and park alongside the kerb, narrowing the roads within the shopping center.

If I'm not mistaken, those same people are going to the gym presumably to get fit and burn some calories so what's the problem parking their vehicle just a minute's walk further from the gym's entrance?

I know all those vehicles aren't parked in non-designated spots due to the other shops at that end of the shopping center.

NC Penguin
Old May 4th 2005, 8:25 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Well- I love to go swimming - but we're waiting for the wifes health ins. to kick in so they'll subsidize the membership fees.

In the meantime - I'm back to doing 1 sit up a day.

Bumpkin
Old May 4th 2005, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
This is both a pet peeve and a comment about keeping fit in the US.

In a shopping center close to home is a large gym. What gets me is that the members are too f--king lazy to park in designated parking spots, maybe a couple of mins from the entrance and park alongside the kerb, narrowing the roads within the shopping center.

If I'm not mistaken, those same people are going to the gym presumably to get fit and burn some calories so what's the problem parking their vehicle just a minute's walk further from the gym's entrance?

I know all those vehicles aren't parked in non-designated spots due to the other shops at that end of the shopping center.

NC Penguin
That sounds very familiar - not just about gyms, you only have to be in the area of a supermarket to see all the throbbers dropping off and picking up the missus right at the supermarket door.....seems its too much trouble to walk for 30 seconds from a parking space, but its perfectly fine to cause hold ups and delays to the rest of the traffic.