Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Originally Posted by Dan725
City layout has a lot to do with it I reckon - in most of them, there doesn't seem to be a defined city centre, so no central point where people would walk, as per European cities.
Very good point. Santa Fe is laid out around a central plaza with streets that radiate outwards. So, other than my workplace, most of what I need is within walking distance, although I'd be lying if I claimed I walked THAT much.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:22 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

I live within walking distance of all the shops in town. However, I live in a very small town and there aren't really that many shops. At the moment I am feeling quite intimidated by Mexicans in general, I get a lot of unwanted attention despite looking my very worse on purpose while I am walking around on my own I hate feeling like this but they seem to go out of their way to do freaky stuff like chase me around the supermarket, or turn around while they are driving to offer my "a ride somewhere".. hopefully they are harmless but I don't know that for sure and therefore I can't help feeling intimidated. Those pepper sprays are legal here, right? where can I get one from?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have restaurants, pharmacies, supermarkets, a Peets, a Starbucks, my gym, my car repair place and much more all within a block or two. But I do live in downtown San Francisco so I guess my situation is relatively uncommon.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

An "Inn" - bar where they do food
Off licence
Schools
Royal Farm Store (Kind of a Kwik-E-Mart)
Petrol station with small grocery section
Library
Flower shop
HAirdresser
TV repair place

None of the above are of particulalry great qaulity...
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:07 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Within 10/15 minutes I can walk to

Panera Bread
Borders Books

Starbucks
I would be happy with that little selection
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:04 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

No, we live about 6 miles from the closest town and it only has a small two pump gas station with a couple drink coolers anyway. They pump the gas for you though, not many of those left. The closest real grocery store is about ten miles one way to the next town and if we need things they don't carry it's about 25 miles one way to the nearest Wal-Mart with the grocery store inside or about 100 miles one way to St. Louis for things like real Italian bread or any seafood or greek olives. Our location is not very typical though. I even drive our two trashcans down to the road for pickup but our house is about 150 yds from the road and I don't think I could drag the cans that far without pulling my arms out of socket. I do walk to get the mail though!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by argyl1
One thing I really miss about living in the UK is being able to walk to the shops etc. Everything was close by and you didn't have to depend on a car to go places.
Here in VA, nothing is within walking distance from my house. I have to rely on my car or public transportation just to go pick up milk from the store. I've spent an hour stuck in traffic from trying to run some simple errands.
What's it like living in other parts of the country?
Do you have shops and services within walking distance from where you live?

Where are you mate? We are in Hampton Roads.

We have a "food mart" service station about 1/2 hour walk from our house - its terrifically convenient Dirty, horrid place - only go there for fags and the gripping repartee......

No, there is nothing in walking distance, which is one of the reasons septics are so fat, and this one is really watching it.......
Its pure "suburbia" here with everything you can imagine 1/2 away by car. Except a pub......

Its so humid here between late June to late September that even if the shops were 5 mins walk away, you'd be drenched by the time you got home.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:45 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

We have everything we need within walking distance: 7/11, library, dentist, post office, kids' school, supermarket, pharmacy, coffee shop, a couple of good restaurants and a pizza place that actually makes good pizza (can't stand Pizza Hut and the like). We also are within walking distance from the beach. Unlike many areas of the U.S., people do actually walk here. I've only now got my own car, but previously managed for 3 years sharing a car with hubby -- we even walked to the local garage to have our car serviced, though that was a good 30 minutes!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by argyl1
One thing I really miss about living in the UK is being able to walk to the shops etc. Everything was close by and you didn't have to depend on a car to go places.
Here in VA, nothing is within walking distance from my house. I have to rely on my car or public transportation just to go pick up milk from the store. I've spent an hour stuck in traffic from trying to run some simple errands.
What's it like living in other parts of the country?
Do you have shops and services within walking distance from where you live?
Think yourself lucky!...we've got one tiny 'Spar-like' shop in town,it's nasty!,and outrageously expensive!...and NO public transport at all,not even one taxi!,the nearest shopping is 15 minutes drive up route 66 or better shopping is 30 minutes drive south on route 66!....anyone seen walking anywhere here usually hasbeen done with a DUI!.....there's a new Super walmart due to open in the town up route 66 so I dare say it will put the little local shop right out of business,so we won't even have that nasty place!.......Sophia
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Those pepper sprays are legal here, right? where can I get one from?
Try K-Mart or Walmart, or failing that......ask a Cop.

I had a few run-ins with a Neighbour's Rotweiller a couple of years ago, which forced me to carry a Baseball Bat, along with Pepper Spray every time I left the house, or, came home from work early in the morning

The dog was an "Attack-Dog" (and not a Pet) and was eventually dealt with by the Authorities after numerous complaints from the Neighbours It actually never got a hold of any of us, but, it scared the shit out of everyone who wouldn't let their kids out to play for fear of them being savaged.

Jim.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I hear you yes I feel the same way and it was nice to have a natter with the neighbors on the way.

Whats even more scary is that you do not realise how much weight you start to put on just because those little trips to the local store are no longer possible and that little form of exercise was more valuable than you thought.
How'se about a bike with a basket on the front !!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
How'se about a bike with a basket on the front !!!
Hardly ever see anyone riding a bike, you will at the Sea front
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Within a 10-15 minute stroll (any longer in summer and you pass out with the heat):

Walgreens and Wild Oats (excellent bakery and butcher department) for food, groceries and other general stuff plus the locally-owned (I believe) Rincon Market with the freshest fish in Tucson...

Two locally-owned sandwich shops; one locally-owned salad restaurant; a smoothie/juice place; two locally-owned cafes (mit free WiFi ) plus Starbucks (where WiFi is not free and the coffee is not nice); takeaway pizza place.

A smattering of eateries: a rather nice Thai place; Greek; Chinese; 'modern' American place; plus corporates like Arbys and La Salsa...

There's also a good local library; a large park; a florist; a bicycle repair shop; a Steinway piano gallery; an Enterprise car rental place; an 'alternative' cinema; a couple of Aveda spa/salon places; two barber shops; and quite a few other places round about.

Unless I plan to buy several bags of things at Wild Oats then I walk to all of these places, even in the summer. Seldom do I pass another person on the pavement. I only seem to use my car at weekends.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Hardly ever see anyone riding a bike, you will at the Sea front
I suppose with the standard of driving over there, it would be dangerous
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I suppose with the standard of driving over there, it would be dangerous
LOL your right, I have no intention of rideing a bike on the road over here :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.