Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

2 Gas Stations (which sell beer...YIPPEE!!!)
1 Pharmacy (Chemist)
1 Flower Shop
1 Motorbike Dealer (Sells BMWs)
3 Bars
1 KFC
1 Pizza Hut
1 Muffler (Exhaust) Dealer
1 Barber
2 Italian Pasta Joints

All within a 10 minute walk. But I have a killer uphill walk on the way back

Jim.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:44 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have shops and services within walking distance from your home?

Originally Posted by Bob
the pavements...we have them too, yet people still prefer to walk on the road...it's kind of weird *lol*
just run em over Bob They do it all the time round here (walk in the road not run each other over ) and i just don't understand why
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
just run em over Bob They do it all the time round here (walk in the road not run each other over ) and i just don't understand why
Whenever I'm driving my Coach and have to go around people who walk in the road, when there is a perfectly good pavement, I always hit my windshield washers and give them a good soaking in washer fluid as I go by

Jim.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I can get what I need within walking distance, a few times now people have stopped and asked if I needed a lift, when I say no thankyou thats OK I like walking, a very strange look will appear back at me Just in case those who dont know I live on a Military Base, so it's only those that live around here should be here.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
hehe...aye...should keep them on their toes
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:23 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of stuff within walking distance, I, like BritVic, live on a military base, the only problem I have when walking is dodging the runners who seem to think they have the right of way on the paths. The funny thing is, I could walk from one side of the base to the other without anyone even saying "hello".When we first moved over here I would walk my girls to the school bus stop (this was when we lived off base) and was shocked to see how many of the parents would drive to the bus stop and wait until the bus came to let the kids out, bearing in mind that the stop were frequent so they couldn't have live more than 300 yards from the stop. I had been going to the same stop for 6 months before anyone even said "hello", miserable sods
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot:
A couple of banks,
a Chinese (but they also deliver)
a really nice garden centre
a hairdressers
a nail salon, and some other random stuff like petrol stations and dentists.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Plenty of stuff within walking distance, I, like BritVic, live on a military base, the only problem I have when walking is dodging the runners who seem to think they have the right of way on the paths. The funny thing is, I could walk from one side of the base to the other without anyone even saying "hello".When we first moved over here I would walk my girls to the school bus stop (this was when we lived off base) and was shocked to see how many of the parents would drive to the bus stop and wait until the bus came to let the kids out, bearing in mind that the stop were frequent so they couldn't have live more than 300 yards from the stop. I had been going to the same stop for 6 months before anyone even said "hello", miserable sods
Oh yes lazy Sods alright, 1 minuet drive to school bus stop and they sit and wait inside there cars, not even the mums want to bother to pass the time of day, I gave up long ago just want out now.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:01 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I've always made sure I can walk to the shops wherever I have lived. I did in VA though parts of the main road didn't have pavements so was a bit hairy! But am very near my library now as well as the shops and even though I have pavements now and am very close I live at the bottom of a steep hill so usually I'm a lazy pig and drive it
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:44 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Everything you could possibly need in walking distance from us - the nearest thing is a 7/11 within 5 minutes walking, then within 10 minutes coffee shops, delis and eateries, department store, clothings stores, electrical stores, supermarket, library - including a good bus service 5 minutes away that will take you to just about anywhere you need to go, with connections to other buses. No sidewalks where the homes are but there are sidewalks and safe places to cross roads where all the stores are.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Within 10/15 minutes I can walk to

Kohls
Wegmans
Michaels
Target
Panera Bread
Dicks Sporting Goods
Famous Footwear
Ulta
Blue Tulip (lovely card shop)
West Elm
Sam's Club
Walmart
Best Buy
Linens and Things
EB Games
Home Depot
Borders Books
Comp USA
Saladworks
Subway
Shop Rite
TJ Maxx
Ross Dress for Less
Chevy's
Starbucks
DSW
Hooters
Olive Garden

plus lots and lots of other smaller stores and banks (no post office though). The only thing is that if I walk to any of them I can't buy too much as I have to carry them home.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:57 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by argyl1
One thing I really miss about living in the UK is being able to walk to the shops etc. Everything was close by and you didn't have to depend on a car to go places.
Here in VA, nothing is within walking distance from my house. I have to rely on my car or public transportation just to go pick up milk from the store. I've spent an hour stuck in traffic from trying to run some simple errands.
What's it like living in other parts of the country?
Do you have shops and services within walking distance from where you live?
I'm lucky I live a few blocks from everything I need 7/11, 3 movie theatres, bars, pool halls, restaurants, grocery stores, a mall, a pedestrian shopping street, 2 British pubs......................... and the beach. All within 1 block to 1/4 of a mile
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh yes lazy Sods alright, 1 minuet drive to school bus stop and they sit and wait inside there cars, not even the mums want to bother to pass the time of day, I gave up long ago just want out now.
Yes, "passing the time of day" is not done here either!

I could walk to some basic shops which are a fair way away, so I don't - I miss it.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Got a new mini mall within a mile, walked to it a couple of times, but thats about it. Could walk to other stuff further, but its definately not got the village shop feel.

When I was living here for the first time 4 years ago, we used to walk about 2 miles or so to a bar. It was along a busy street in Tampa, and you could walk the entire way there and back and see no-one outside of a car. People in cars at traffic lights used to lock their doors when they saw you walking past, and you'd get pipped at and shouted at a lot (not to mention nearly run over!), such was the unusual sight of people walking.

Although I'm well used to it now, thats the thing that really stuck out to be about US cities vs European ones - other than New York, Chicago, Vegas etc, when you are driving around, they are like ghost towns with their empty pavements. City layout has a lot to do with it I reckon - in most of them, there doesn't seem to be a defined city centre, so no central point where people would walk, as per European cities.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 8th 2007 at 1:40 am.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Another thing which I've noticed: why can't people just sit down and drink their coffee? I see so many people wandering around the town with their coffee in styrofoam cups - can't they just sit down for 10 minutes and savour it?
I've noticed this too; and sadly, the longer I'm here the more I find myself doing it. I believe its down the fact that no-one gets any time off, and driving distances are so far that it really does take time out of doing other things you have to get done.

I constantly feel rushed here; never did before. Granted, we've now got a little'un which makes you busier anyway, but even before she was born, from the day I started working here, I've felt like I've been in a mad rush, even on weekends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.