Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Why would she need to be a citizen to get financial aid? LPRs qualify. Or had she had the card since you were in a non-immigrant status?
No a lot of grants/scholarships etc and most financial aid you need to be a USC to be eligible for.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But grants and scholarships are private, they have no access to the SSA database. Federal financial aid draws no distinction between US citizens and LPRs, it cannot because it would violate the Civil Rights Act if it did. Title VI.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:42 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The cards shouldn't be identical. The last one you received should have the record change date printed on the front.
You are right! I had never registered the fact that there were dates on the front of the cards. Well, my 2 anyway - not anyone else in the family. So it is relatively new. A bit of checking shows that they introduced printing the issue date around October 2007, but I can't find out why? (Not a particularly important piece of information, but my curiosity persists...)

So, why is the date now printed? Does anyone know what practical purpose this achieves, or was supposed to achieve?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Finally got around to a going to the DMV to switch my license from PA to NY state.
My social security card reads "valid for work authorization only" at the top. I haven't gotten around to getting citizenship either. (Basically I avoid paperwork until I have to.) But had my green card and passport with me.
The DMV told me my social security card was unacceptable and I needed to apply for a new one that didn't say "valid for work authorization only" at the top.
Getting an unrestricted Social Security card should be top priority, for every new LPR. Not doing so exposes you to the kind of issues just described.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
So, why is the date now printed? Does anyone know what practical purpose this achieves, or was supposed to achieve?
To get everyone chattering about it.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You are right! I had never registered the fact that there were dates on the front of the cards. Well, my 2 anyway - not anyone else in the family. So it is relatively new. A bit of checking shows that they introduced printing the issue date around October 2007, but I can't find out why? (Not a particularly important piece of information, but my curiosity persists...)

I would guess a software update that simply allows it to be printed. They can, so they do. I reckon its fairly meaningless. The wording, or lack of, is the important part.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Appears to be an anti-fraud measure. Says the internet.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Why would she need to be a citizen to get financial aid? LPRs qualify. Or had she had the card since you were in a non-immigrant status?
At the time of the financial aid application she was a USC - not a PR. So on the application she indicated that she was a USC. This is what the Dept of Education was trying to verify with the SSA. However, the SSA record did not indicate that she was a USC. So we all went into the local SSA office to have our records updated - except the youngest who was already flagged as a USC because she was born in the US. We were then issued new SSN cards with the record change date printed on the front. It did the trick because the following year when my 2nd daughter applied for financial aid as a USC, there were no issues.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 8th 2012 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Getting an unrestricted Social Security card should be top priority, for every new LPR. Not doing so exposes you to the kind of issues just described.
Right - and many people don't realize that they should also tell the SSA whenever they become USC's. Other government agencies use SSA records to verify US citizenship.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

However, the SSA record did not indicate that she was a USC.
So you're saying it was purely because of a mismatch between what was on the application and what was in the SSA database, even though in either case she would have qualified.

Talk about pointless bureaucracy.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So you're saying it was purely because of a mismatch between what was on the application and what was in the SSA database, even though in either case she would have qualified.
The same thing happened to me when I applied for a FAFSA loan for my PhD. SSA could not confirm that I was a USC because even though I had gone to SSA after naturalizing to update my info, it was not correctly updated. It was easy enough to get sorted, but caused a few weeks delay in processing the loan.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Talk about pointless bureaucracy.
Yes - there was a mismatch between our immigration status and our SSA records.

When my wife naturalized (she was sworn in 2 months before I was), our daughter became a USC by derivation. Previously we were all PRs and had unrestricted SSN cards. We simply didn't realize that, after naturalization, we had to update our SSA records to have ourselves flagged as USC's.

However, I guess there's no way for the Dept of Education (DoE) to know that my daughter was ever a PR. All they knew was that she was claiming to be a USC and so they tried to verify that with the SSA.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - there was a mismatch between our immigration status and our SSA records.

When my wife naturalized (she was sworn in 2 months before I was), our daughter became a USC by derivation. Previously we were all PRs and had unrestricted SSN cards. We simply didn't realize that, after naturalization, we had to update our SSA records to have ourselves flagged as USC's.

However, I guess there's no way for the Dept of Education (DoE) to know that my daughter was ever a PR. All they knew was that she was claiming to be a USC and so they tried to verify that with the SSA.
My hubby also had that problem. We actually did go to the SSA office to update his status after he naturalized. However, when he applied for FAFSA funds, they couldn't verify his new citizenship status. I can't really remember how it got resolved, but I think we actually ended up sending a copy of his naturalization certificate to the school's financial aid office. He also then called the SSA to verify his status, and I think they confirmed that he was indeed a citizen. But that was the year right after he changed from LPR to USC, and he hasn't had a problem with FAFSA since.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Curtis86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When we first came here I was in a store and showed my UK passport as ID. The cashier asked a few people about it and in the end the manager was called. He looked at it and said it was fine as it was a passport from Oklahoma (OK).
That is funny lol