British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   DMV said my social security card was unacceptable. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dmv-said-my-social-security-card-unacceptable-763115/)

Sarah Jun 27th 2012 6:48 pm

DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

Finally got around to a going to the DMV to switch my license from PA to NY state.
My social security card reads "valid for work authorization only" at the top. I haven't gotten around to getting citizenship either. (Basically I avoid paperwork until I have to.) But had my green card and passport with me.
The DMV told me my social security card was unacceptable and I needed to apply for a new one that didn't say "valid for work authorization only" at the top.

Has anyone else gotten this response? I had no problems in Pennsylvania when getting my license.

Jerseygirl Jun 27th 2012 7:09 pm

Re: DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 10142771)
Finally got around to a going to the DMV to switch my license from PA to NY state.
My social security card reads "valid for work authorization only" at the top. I haven't gotten around to getting citizenship either. (Basically I avoid paperwork until I have to.) But had my green card and passport with me.
The DMV told me my social security card was unacceptable and I needed to apply for a new one that didn't say "valid for work authorization only" at the top.

Has anyone else gotten this response? I had no problems in Pennsylvania when getting my license.

I'm pretty sure that is the SS card you have until you become a LPR...then the marque is removed.

Did you have to use your SS card as ID? I've just got back from getting my DL renewed...a SS card was one of many items that could be used for their 6 point ID check.

Bob Jun 27th 2012 7:11 pm

Try going to a different office?

My card doesn't have any legend on it I don't think, after I got a new one, when I got my greencard. Was your card from before you got the greencard and had the EAD?

MostlyYank Jun 27th 2012 7:13 pm

X2 on going to a different office, it might work.

Pete

MarylandNed Jun 27th 2012 7:17 pm

I assume you mean it states one of the following:

- NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT
- VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION
- VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION

Your green card proves that you have authorization to work so the wording on the SSN card shouldn't be an issue anyway. You could try going back and ask to see a supervisor if it happens again. Or try another DMV office if possible. However, NY might have some rule that states a restricted SSN card is not acceptable - you might be able to confirm that if you can get hold of someone knowledgeable on the phone (good luck with that!).

Also, you should visit your local SSA office and get a new SSN card without the restriction printed on it.

ChocolateBabz Jun 27th 2012 7:26 pm

Before we had our greencards mine read "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" and I never had a problem getting my drivers license, changing address or renewing when my visa was renewed and my drivers license needed renewed.

When we got our greencards I went to the SS office for our new cards with the above legend removed, then to the drivers licenses office for another renewal, this time with 'temporary visitor' removed.

Steve_ Jun 27th 2012 7:39 pm

WTF has being authorized to work got to do with being able to drive anyway? You're legally there, that's all that matters. I know they're allowed to ask for your SSN after that Supreme Court ruling years ago but you've given it to them.

Sarah Jun 27th 2012 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10142850)
WTF has being authorized to work got to do with being able to drive anyway? You're legally there, that's all that matters. I know they're allowed to ask for your SSN after that Supreme Court ruling years ago but you've given it to them.

I thought I was being clever by avoiding going to the nightmare hellhole of an NYC DMV and went to one out in the boonies when we were visiting my husbands family. I think it's probably backfired on me and I'm guessing the staff at the boonies DMV had no idea what to do with someone who wasn't a citizen so perhaps wanted to just get rid of me, idk. Kinda like when I bought alcohol in Alabama and presented my passport as ID and they were so bewildered by it, they called their family over to come and look at it as none of them had ever seen one before :blink:

Jerseygirl Jun 27th 2012 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 10142860)
I thought I was being clever by avoiding going to the nightmare hellhole of an NYC DMV and went to one out in the boonies when we were visiting my husbands family. I think it's probably backfired on me and I'm guessing the staff at the boonies DMV had no idea what to do with someone who wasn't a citizen so perhaps wanted to just get rid of me, idk. Kinda like when I bought alcohol in Alabama and presented my passport as ID and they were so bewildered by it, they called their family over to come and look at it as none of them had ever seen one before :blink:

When we first came here I was in a store and showed my UK passport as ID. The cashier asked a few people about it and in the end the manager was called. He looked at it and said it was fine as it was a passport from Oklahoma (OK). :blink::lol:

Rete Jun 27th 2012 8:17 pm

You were to have the legend removed from the SSC when you received your green card. But no foul not having done so. DMV can be a pain in the butt but you at least have the option of going to another office and trying there and go to Social Security office with your green card and ask to have a duplicate card issued without the legend.

GeoffM Jun 27th 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10142798)
I'm pretty sure that is the SS card you have until you become a citizen...then the marque is removed.

No. I'm a looong way off becoming a citizen and I don't have any such note on the card.

Jerseygirl Jun 27th 2012 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10142929)
No. I'm a looong way off becoming a citizen and I don't have any such note on the card.

Sorry I meant LPR...I'll go back and edit to avoid confusion. Thanks.

fsm Jun 27th 2012 9:35 pm

I deal with the I-9's locally for my firm. (The British guy checking if they can legally work in the USA :))

Your SSC is technically invalid as soon as you receive the green card, I cannot accept it for a I-9, if that was offered as part of the prove.
Never usually an issue as the green card is sufficient evidence.

DMV's are notorious for not accepting the documentation for the slightest reason, they are tougher than the INS.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 27th 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10142888)
When we first came here I was in a store and showed my UK passport as ID. The cashier asked a few people about it and in the end the manager was called. He looked at it and said it was fine as it was a passport from Oklahoma (OK). :blink::lol:

:lol:
I used mine when I arrived and was asked seriously if it was a real one when they carded me in a restaurant.

vikingsail Jun 27th 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10142888)

I think one of the moderators on this forum quotes the perfect phrase for this situation and that comes from a full American. Always remember ...

"Look what I'm dealing with fools and trolls." Charlie Sheen

When confronted with something they don't know the answer to most petty bureaucrats wherever you are will usually be to resort to the pass off tactic. Or just deny deny deny.

Way back when I once had to trip up to Newark, NJ INS ivory tower ( not for the fainthearted at the best of times). It took 4 times before my photo was officially accepted for my green card. Having exhausted all possible routes, I had uised official photo taking from different agencies including one set from the old Grosvenor Sq embassy staff themselves! I was a little exasperated by the consistent stamping of my paperwork in Newark, NJ with the words 'denied' or whatever they used at the time. But being so very British I did not have the temerity to question the decision with to much fervour. Finally by the fourth time and having queued up for about 10 hours my sharp tongue got the better of me. When 'denied' once more by the statistically politically correct individual at the INS desk. I politely asked if I could know why the photo was not acceptable once again? I was told because my ear stuck out. My instant reply - Do you mean I am to be denied the opportunity of becoming a citizen of this great land because of something beyond my control. Surely, the ADA must apply? I explained.

The answer an approved stamp and I was on my way...

Sadly often the only reason is because if they can they will. Power is a very interesting concept at all levels. Just look at this website....
Then there is just pure idiocy as jerseygirl has illustrated.