Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Distance learning

Distance learning

Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Slinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really nice
Question Distance learning

Hi guys!
I am looking into studying for a bachelors degree. I work fulltime so I was hoping I could do this through Open University.Well I spoke to them today and they said no I cannot study for a bachelors through them online and I need to be in the EU or England for that to happen.
I kind of feel stuck now, there are a few online places here Phoenix,Devry but I don't feel comfortable spending so much money with these places.
Any suggestions?:
Thankyou!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 4:49 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Distance learning

Originally Posted by Slinky
Hi guys!
I am looking into studying for a bachelors degree. I work fulltime so I was hoping I could do this through Open University.Well I spoke to them today and they said no I cannot study for a bachelors through them online and I need to be in the EU or England for that to happen.
I kind of feel stuck now, there are a few online places here Phoenix,Devry but I don't feel comfortable spending so much money with these places.
Any suggestions?:
Thankyou!
I guess it depends what you want to study - they have this list on their website which seems to list undergrad and postgrad courses you can do in the US: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/countries/USA.shtm

I have no idea how their system works so maybe there is no way to actually get a bachelors with this combination of courses (but then why would they even offer them?).
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

My impression is that the Open University has a lot more kudos in the UK than these others (e.g., Phoenix) do in the US. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I'd be cautious of paying for an online degree unless you are confident it will be recognised/worthwhile.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 4th 2011 at 6:51 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Slinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really niceSlinky is just really nice
Smile Re: Distance learning

Thanks guys.
I think i will have to carry on looking. I did see that list but there are only 3 options for online undergrad and they are all in the level 3 and i will need a combination of level 1,2 and 3 for the bachelors.
So I dont really understand why they seem to offer them but you cant actually get an award with them?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you look at the colleges around you. Most of them around here do a whole bunch of online and/or evening only degree and certificate progrmas
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Why don't you look at the colleges around you. Most of them around here do a whole bunch of online and/or evening only degree and certificate progrmas
Good point - don't know why I didn't think of that (duh). OP doesn't even need to be restricted to local colleges/universities. A lot of traditional institutions are moving to online, flexible learning methods. Of course, there's the in-state/out of state tuition issue to think of.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Good point - don't know why I didn't think of that (duh). OP doesn't even need to be restricted to local colleges/universities. A lot of traditional institutions are moving to online, flexible learning methods. Of course, there's the in-state/out of state tuition issue to think of.
Because a decent course could still cost mega bucks.

The missus got her masters online through Kings College, London, cost her £3K a year, doing it part time it took around 3 years. Equivalent course online at NorthEastern, Boston was $20K a year just for online tuition, plus cost of books etc....Kings you had access to nearly all the books and papers online.

Though for undergrad, it's probably worth doing the first couple years in a local community college as it'll be cheaper and then do the final part at a decent reputable uni because it's the last institution that goes on the certificate.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slinky
Hi guys!
Any suggestions?:
Thankyou!
Perhaps you have thought of this one in the UK?
http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...ts/index.shtml

Errol
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I've read alot of good things about Western Governor's University. Here is a recent article in the LA Times: WGU Article.

Good luck!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

JeyCee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi -

I am studying for a masters via DL with Sheffield Hallam here in the UK, but am planning a move to Florida and they said nothing changes. Even the exams are taken locally if they are correctly invigilated.
http://www.shu.ac.uk/study/dl/
Not sure what type of course you are after - so may be of no use.

On my course we have people literally all over the world - India, Asia, Croatia, etc etc.
Hope that helps and best of luck.
JC
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Distance learning

Thankyou to all of you for helping me out.

I have many options now to look into.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:02 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by JeyCee
Hi -

I am studying for a masters via DL with Sheffield Hallam here in the UK, but am planning a move to Florida and they said nothing changes. Even the exams are taken locally if they are correctly invigilated.
http://www.shu.ac.uk/study/dl/
Not sure what type of course you are after - so may be of no use.

On my course we have people literally all over the world - India, Asia, Croatia, etc etc.
Hope that helps and best of luck.
JC
How much tuition and fees do you pay per year, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

JeyCee is an unknown quantity at this point

Course not, dunrovin. All numbers in sterling.
When I started it's 640 for each 15 credit module (my course has 9) overseas is 770 for each module. The dissertation is 1280 for UK and 1540 for overseas. My masters is 9 modules plus the dissertation (MSc in Business Intelligence - now discontinued, though I see from the internal site many still do run.).

That includes access to the facilities, student card, all of the materials mailed out and any support you need. The library also mail books FOC to DL students, but you return them at your own cost. I'm not sure about shipping costs to the overseas students though.

The way they do the fees is when you enrol on year one, you pay for half the modules, then when you enrol on year 2 the rest and year 3 the dissertation fee, but it's completely flexible on timing. Though I think you have to complete in 6 years.

Biggest attraction for me was that I directly accessed MSc without a first degree (because I don't have one) with references and work experience. I didn't want to do a first degree if I could avoid it because my end game was masters or MBA. I'll probably do an MBA in Miami now.

What is also good about my program is that after the first year I gain a Postgraduate Certificate. After the second I get PG Diploma and then after the dissertation I get my masters - so I feel like I have goals.

I don't think Hallam has the greatest rep, it was the poly before they abolished those. But I'm not a snob like that - I just did it to see if I could, really.

HTH
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

shauny2k5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Should should check out a local community college. Most of them here in Florida offer BA or BS degrees in a limited number of majors for very low rates, such as $110 a credit for online courses. You might also be eligible for Federal Aid to cover some of this.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shauny2k5
...You might also be eligible for Federal Aid to cover some of this.
If you're a US citizen...less so if a LPR and if not a LPR, haha.