Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

disrimination ?

disrimination ?

Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:59 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: disrimination ?

I just bought the first series of Everybody Hates Chris and it has given me a different perspective on this story. The series is hilarious, loosely based on Chris Rock's childhood as the only black child in a white school. It is never self pitying and interviews with him and about his family do not make me feel they would be out for money.

It is different being discriminated against rather than ignored. My (black) DH rarely has a problem but you can usually tell the difference.

Our recent experience in a redneck karaoke bar was rather interesting- people singled us out shaking his hand and gave us a big welcome.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I think she meant cracker barrel brand cheese, made by Kraft.
You're right. My mistake..didn't read the question properly
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Right and look who is leading the parade to the courthouse. Al Sharpton. The world's biggest racist.

Originally Posted by franc11s
Chris Rock's mom: Cracker Barrel discriminated

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

I'm sorry but I WAS at a Cracker Barrel last week in Georgia with my mum and sister who were visiting from the UK. We waited 45 minutes for our food and the service was terrible. Was it discrimination? Some people were getting served (it depended on their order). We found out they were a chef short.

I'm done with the disrimination card being played for something like this.. It works both ways.

In GA. The people who work for Cracker Barrel are nicer than most servers I get served by.. of any race. It's a low paid, high turnover industry. If it was racism, sue the PERSON, not the company... The world's gone mad...
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:20 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Cracker barrel.........

the irony is fantastic.
LOL too true! ITA with Rete about Sharpton. Ugh!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Chris Rock's mom: Cracker Barrel discriminated

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

I'm sorry but I WAS at a Cracker Barrel last week in Georgia with my mum and sister who were visiting from the UK. We waited 45 minutes for our food and the service was terrible. Was it discrimination? Some people were getting served (it depended on their order). We found out they were a chef short.

I'm done with the disrimination card being played for something like this.. It works both ways.

In GA. The people who work for Cracker Barrel are nicer than most servers I get served by.. of any race. It's a low paid, high turnover industry. If it was racism, sue the PERSON, not the company... The world's gone mad...
"The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat."

Why on earth go to Cracker Barrel then?

"I'm getting reports from all over the country about Cracker Barrel,"

I thought Cracker Barrel was only in the Southern States?

It sounds like my word against yours; so I doubt anything will come of it.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:32 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
The clue was in the first part of the name of the restaurant.

The article states that there have been numerous lawsuits filed for discrimination against black customers, minorities and gay employees. While you may have experienced slow service with a reason given for that slow service, it would appear that Ms Rock was simply ignored.
Happens in all types of restaurants, all the time. With the amount of times people eat out over here, the probability of "being ignored" twice a week is high
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just what the doctor ordered though for a climbing comic (never seen him and never will) and an over the hill, overweight, bigoted criminal mouthpiece for the downtrodden ... free publicity.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just what the doctor ordered though for a climbing comic (never seen him and never will) and an over the hill, overweight, bigoted criminal mouthpiece for the downtrodden ... free publicity.
Climbing comic?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Climbing comic? Try super-star multimillionaire writer producer and leading man.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001674/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Rock
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Climbing comic? Try super-star multimillionaire writer producer and leading man.

I was going to say....

Ah Pootie Tang... a true masterpiece.....
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:06 pm
Concierge

Sorry but until his tv show I never heard of him.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

PS - Don't try even try to throw your wiki-google-bunny searches out there as actual knowledge.

PPS - Shut up.

PPPS -
heh heh heh
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry but until his tv show I never heard of him.
He's actually very funny - and according to Rock his parents were very straight and very strict during his childhood. I don't think she is looking for money probably just an apology.

I'll meet you halfway on this one. I don't think Sharpton needs to get involved.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:22 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Two points:

1) In SC, as well as the rest of the old South a well run buisiness CAN NOT afford to discriminate- as blacks comprise 50% or so of their available clients. To do so would be suicide. Our local CB usually has well over 50% black customers when I have gone, and the place is ALWAYS packed.

2) I eat out at CB often when I travel, as it provides a decent meal at a decent price and service usually is quite good- however once in a while, I have had bad service at CB as well as at every other chain resturant. I know the bad service is usually due to a poor waitress, or someone called in sick and they are short handed...not institutional racisim or some other conspiracy.

3) CB is not a southern thing- I see them all the way from central GA to Saginaw MI, every 30 miles or so.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:28 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Manc
heh heh heh
You petty little twerp.

I already knew about Chris Rock. I've been a fan since his SNL days. I was posting those links for Rete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.