Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Wikiposts

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:52 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by Montfan72
You're right that many Americans are gregarious and friendly but up here in the frozen north things are decidedly chilly. The natives are very clannish and don't venture out of their established family/social structures. I've noticed a strange non-curious/interested attitude towards my being a furriner and even a little distrust. Not many folks ask about my background, family or even what country I'm from. Of course I don't expect any of that of course but it's considered polite among 'friends' surely? And that is why all of my close friends are expats.
Maybe they can't understand your accent, assume you are Russian, and don't want to ask incase you accuse them of being racist.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:54 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm sensing a few hang-overs during the holidays!
Yeah. Ethel and I arranged a rendezvous, but he stood me up. I'm going to drown my sorrows at the local.

I don't think he understood me, when I said lets rock up. I hope he hasn't ODed

Last edited by JRG67; Nov 28th 2012 at 10:57 am.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Maybe they can't understand your accent, assume you are Russian, and don't want to ask incase you accuse them of being racist.
Why would they assume I'm Russian? Must be my Slavic cheekbones, Nordic coloring and willowy stature that gives it away.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:07 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Ethel and I arranged a rendezvous, but he stood me up. I'm going to drown my sorrows at the local.

I don't think he understood me, when I said lets rock up. I hope he hasn't ODed
I stood you up because you accused me of being a former Nazi! You should know me by now. I thought we were cool, even though you used to be a man?

I forgive you though. No hard feelings, except between my legs.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

you guys are crazy!!! Funny, but crazy.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I stood you up because you accused me of being a former Nazi! You should know me by now. I thought we were cool, even though you used to be a man?

I forgive you though. No hard feelings, except between my legs.
Ethel!!!! You've returned!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:22 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Americans love to party hard and we enjoy spending time making new friends. I've seen nothing but positive reactions from Americans when meeting Brits.And you're right,the various British accents do go over well in America.I remember being in NYC one day and while placing an order at a Dunkin Donuts, there was a British guy standing at the counter placing his order.Right behind him was a person that over heard him and noticed the accent, and commented how much they admired his British accent.Everyone in line smiled and the british dude loved all the attention. Americans are a friendly lot.
This is all well and good when on holiday, but making friends in a foreign country isn't about accents. It all seems to fall flat after "OMG I love UR accent". No criticism meant, just 9 years worth of experience. Being a tourist is not the same. Everything seems awesome when you're on holiday.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:26 pm
Banned

Ethel!!!! You've returned!
Miss me?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
Bat shit crazy actually.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Miss me?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1208649

I was worried that this was you.
You mentioned times were tough, so I thought maybe you had resorted to eating cockroaches and died
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:31 pm
Banned

So, what's your story big boy!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:37 pm
Banned

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1208649

I was worried that this was you.
You mentioned times were tough, so I thought maybe you had resorted to eating cockroaches and died
Only in Floriduh LOL!

Something must have really been bugging that poor dude.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:05 pm
Banned

So Ethel, do YOU have any STDs??

What's going on in Florida. I saw that on woman there was arrested for masturbating in a Starbucks? Wasn't you was it?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

So, what's your story big boy!
I am defo just as crazy, some quality comments, shit I am surprised half these comments are approved but they are frickin hilarious
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:27 pm
Banned

I am defo just as crazy, some quality comments, shit I am surprised half these comments are approved but they are frickin hilarious
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It's our little secret

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.