Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Colorado Ski Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Hi Bob. Our true friendships aren't fake. We have a LOT of acquaintenances but few friends. I've heard that the French are the same way. It's just part of the culture. What you think of as artificial friendshipship is just our way of considering you an acquaintenance, not a true friend. That takes more time. A true friend sticks with you through thick and thin. It takes a while to be best pals and buds with people, but then again it depends on the person.
And thanks for the big hello!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
People look down on different groups here.
I'm sure they do -- I was just recounting that, from personal experience, it happened to me "at home," and not here, until I ran up against my fellow countrywomen!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Colorado ski girl...I find your advice on making friends completely bizarre...
I imagine if my topics of conversation revolved around how money I make or football, most people American or otherwise would class me as a rude bore.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well, do you have many American friends?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

They are your acquaintenances, not your friends to go to the bar afterwards. Americans simply are not the 'go to the bar with coworkers' type pf people. Coworkers are your competition. You see them as those who you have to compete with for the better job and more money. Also, you may work at many different places over your career, so what's the point in being best friends forever with someone you'll probably never see again if you change jobs? This isn't an absolute, but it is very typical of American culture.
Y'know, I really like your insight here - thank you for answering and I hope you don't feel like we're "beating up" on Americans.

This point I find especially difficult to deal with. I have always tended to think that I work for a "company" and that very word, company, means that I have not just co-workers, but companions working WITH me.

In other words, we are all in the same boat with the same goals. To be honest, the "Brit Pub" culture is a bit of a myth anyway - none of the companies I've worked for have EVER had a lunch/evening booze thing going on.

But, you are absolutely correct that the attitude here is one primarily of competition BETWEEN co-workers. That alone makes it very, very difficult to handle the big questions - such as "what is our joint strategy" or "are we doing the right thing ?" Trying to build constructive criticism is impossible because it is seen as a sign of personal weakness of failure.

The result of this work atmosphere is that work gets reduced to short-term directives built around cults of leaders rather than the collective thoughts of groups of people.

I see this in American corporates - we could probably all name the leaders of the big US Tech companies, but who is the CEO of BT, France Telecom, EADS, Airbus, BAT, Allianz, HSBC, etc without resorting to Wikipedia. We only ever hear about those people in Europe through exception - i.e. when they cock-it-up. The culture is very different.

The closest I can get in the UK is Virgin Group - but really, that is not an EU-domiciled business at all, and in fact most of the grunt is done by their partner companies, not Virgin Group at all.

We are American and are a very proud people
Good for you. I have NO PROBLEM with this at all. But please remember that others are equally proud of their backgrounds and cultures and don't denigrate them or their values.

Putting yourself down, even as only a joke, may seem harmless to you, but to Americans it comes across as having a lack of confidence and people will avoid you. Especially women.
Last point - VERY interesting and may explain my wife's problems here. As I think we stated before, we lived in France for a while where (as long as you are good enough at the language and she IS) there is a highly self-deprecating sense-of-humour.

It's also not helped by the fact that we both have a degree of inverse snobbery to deal with - we both have quite "clipped" accents but live(d) in an area with a high-amount of "Estuary English"; we both went to grammar schools so we're aware that we are not like the majority of people we come across from the educational background either.

So, we use humour to deflate our egos and make sure that we are approachable and at-a-level with those we meet every day. We would both HATE to appear superior or aloof due to our accents or backgrounds and we work very hard on this.

Those self-same tricks that we use to make it obvious that we are the SAME as everyone else in the UK just fall flat here. We find ourselves wincing when someone is telling us "what they make" or "where they go on vacation." We just find it showy, brash and potentially upsetting to those that are in different circumstances.

But, now that you've explained it, I understand where we our problems are !!!!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colorado Ski Girl
Not too many truth be told but i have a small circle of funny, genuine expats who don't talk about money or sports thank God.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

I am only trying to help you. You can judge all you like. I can, however, tell you the favorite football and baseball teams of every coworker and friend that I work with as well as those of my neighbors and family members. I know which colleges they all went to. They also can recite this info about everyone back to us. And yes, football is America's pasttime. If you don't understand why, then I really can't help you here. It is what it is. Money is a topic of conversation. It is very common, in fact. Everyone talks about how much an item is at a store rather than which is the better one to buy. Cost is more important than the quality. How much we make is important. Just a fact. We compare and contrast. These are just ice breakers. You can move on to other topics afterwards, like world peace or what you thought of the latest J.J. Abrams movie. But as a whole, the first thing you'll be asked is 'what do you do for a living?'.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

AmerLisa:

But isn't that what you're doing? You're right and everyone is wrong?
You've missed my point entirely. I always start from the point that I know nothing and that I am probably wrong. That is a very common attitude in the UK - the "it'll never work, it'll all go Pete Tong."

Look at the Olympics - in the end, it was superb, but we assumed it was all going to be a Mucking Fess and talked about it at every point we could.

So, I am not judging whether it is right or wrong. I'm just stating for someone coming from a background, such as me, where I act as if I'm wrong and an idiot all the time and wait to be proved otherwise, this society is rather difficult to break in to.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Colorado ski girl...I find your advice on making friends completely bizarre...
I imagine if my topics of conversation revolved around how money I make or football, most people American or otherwise would class me as a rude bore.
+1

I'm wondering if you do.... Why would you think you have all the answers in making American friends?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

You said expats, not American-born Americans. Didn't you want to know how to become friends with Americans, not expats? Sure - you should have a lot in common with your fellow countrymen and women. You're from the same culture. That wasn't the original question. Please, don't attack me. I am not attacking you.
If I l moved to Thailand and made friends with only American expats, then yes, we'd have the same thing to talk about and the same interests, at least to some degree. But what I would have to do to try to make friends with the native Thais would have to be respectful of their culture. not impose my own culture on them.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I am only trying to help you. You can judge all you like. I can, however, tell you the favorite football and baseball teams of every coworker and friend that I work with as well as those of my neighbors and family members. I know which colleges they all went to. They also can recite this info about everyone back to us. And yes, football is America's pasttime. If you don't understand why, then I really can't help you here. It is what it is. Money is a topic of conversation. It is very common, in fact. Everyone talks about how much an item is at a store rather than which is the better one to buy. Cost is more important than the quality. How much we make is important. Just a fact. We compare and contrast. These are just ice breakers. You can move on to other topics afterwards, like world peace or what you thought of the latest J.J. Abrams movie. But as a whole, the first thing you'll be asked is 'what do you do for a living?'.
There is NO rule book to making friends here or anywhere else. To generalize ANY culture is ridiculous! How you meet people can vary from region to region, or many other things.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, I've been to every state in this country many, many times as well as lived in 7 of them in all of the time zones. Yes - most Americans are competitive. Survival of the fittest. You are a West Coast person in Washington, isn't that correct? Do you think that everyone is like you? Perhaps you are easy going. Ever seen that in New York?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
The result of this work atmosphere is that work gets reduced to short-term directives built around cults of leaders rather than the collective thoughts of groups of people.
You've hit the nail on the head with this huge problem my husband has at his workplace.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dlake02
AmerLisa:

You've missed my point entirely. I always start from the point that I know nothing and that I am probably wrong. That is a very common attitude in the UK - the "it'll never work, it'll all go Pete Tong."

Look at the Olympics - in the end, it was superb, but we assumed it was all going to be a Mucking Fess and talked about it at every point we could.

So, I am not judging whether it is right or wrong. I'm just stating for someone coming from a background, such as me, where I act as if I'm wrong and an idiot all the time and wait to be proved otherwise, this society is rather difficult to break in to.
dlake:

The last thing I get from your posts is someone that thinks they are wrong. You are far from complacent and judge harshly. But, in all fairness maybe you've been made to feel this way from your dealings with people in Silicon Valley. I would have thought you'd be around more diverse cultures though....
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually, I've been to every state in this country many, many times as well as lived in 7 of them in all of the time zones. Yes - most Americans are competitive. Survival of the fittest. You are a West Coast person in Washington, isn't that correct? Do you think that everyone is like you? Perhaps you are easy going. Ever seen that in New York?
I don't think anyone is like me. That's my point! I know (and I have lived other places as well!) that this country is very, very different and nothing can be generalized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.