Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Did You Know....

Did You Know....

Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did You Know....

Originally Posted by britvic
I'v been home sick for three bloody long year's So what's upset you some of us just saying we are or we'er going home, come what may!!!
I know what homesick feels like. I also know coming back to a country with my rose tinted glasses on. If its because you're homesick and you want to live with problems in your home country, more power to you. But, I wonder about the people who think they are going back to the UK because the UK is "better" than the US. Its different, with a different set of problems, but not better. And before you say anything, no one actually said it was "better", at least not in this thread, but the implication was certainly there.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Be interesting to see what happens when countries stop selling shite over here and want the cash returned....no wonder this country is getting cozy with the big lenders and farming jobs out there like China...doesn't make sense to put trade embargo's on steel imports though...
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:09 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I wonder about the people who think they are going back to the UK because the UK is "better" than the US. Its different, with a different set of problems, but not better. And before you say anything, no one actually said it was "better", at least not in this thread, but the implication was certainly there.
Well I for one think its "better". And thats not anti US. I have noticed over the last few months as I tell US colleagues that I am moving back, 50% of them seem to get offended, as if it is a personal snub. NO ITS NOT! Its just better for me, I wish they would stop being so sensitive!!
However, if I was "on the fence" , about going back, recent events would certainly swing my opinion, along with the outrageous cost of health care (But thats another subject)
Again, this is a personal opinion. When I first thought about moving back, I made a pros and cons list for both countries, and for me the UK wins hands down.
(Gets coat, heads towards door) :-)
Rob
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I know what homesick feels like. I also know coming back to a country with my rose tinted glasses on. If its because you're homesick and you want to live with problems in your home country, more power to you. But, I wonder about the people who think they are going back to the UK because the UK is "better" than the US. Its different, with a different set of problems, but not better. And before you say anything, no one actually said it was "better", at least not in this thread, but the implication was certainly there.
The UK is only better for me because of Family and Friends,and what I know. I'm certainly not saying it's any better, dont really want to go down that road now do we
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is only better for me because of Family and Friends,and what I know. I'm certainly not saying it's any better, dont really want to go down that road now do we
I didn't start down that road, others did. Everyone has their own opinion. So do I. I would love to be back in the UK for family, pure and simple. There are a few other reasons, but mainly family. Would I go because the US is in a crisis? No, because as soon as I landed, Iran would set its nuclear warhead straight at Britain. Alright, that's a bit far fetched, but I hope you can understand what I mean.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Well I for one think its "better". And thats not anti US. I have noticed over the last few months as I tell US colleagues that I am moving back, 50% of them seem to get offended, as if it is a personal snub. NO ITS NOT! Its just better for me, I wish they would stop being so sensitive!!
However, if I was "on the fence" , about going back, recent events would certainly swing my opinion, along with the outrageous cost of health care (But thats another subject)
Again, this is a personal opinion. When I first thought about moving back, I made a pros and cons list for both countries, and for me the UK wins hands down.
Rob
Yes I'm sick of them being so sensitive, walking on egg shell's here when I try to explane why I want to go home.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Rob
Rob, I hope you're happy wherever you land. I'm sorry that I stepped on toes. To me its just not a good reason to run to another country because one is having problems....where are you going to go when the UK has problems? I'm not suggesting that you are or aren't. That's just the way I see things in general.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you....but do you really think there is anywhere to hide from this catastrophe?
I'm not going back to the UK in order to hide from George Bush or his catastrophe. My reasons for going back have nothing to do with George Bush.

I'd just rather be there than here, whatever the world situation.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I'm sick of them being so sensitive, walking on egg shell's here when I try to explane why I want to go home.
Then why explain? You've made your decision, so why care if someone disagrees?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not going back to the UK in order to hide from George Bush or his catastrophe. My reasons for going back have nothing to do with George Bush.
Then why make the comment you did in response to my initial posting?

Well, I'm hoping I'll be in the U.K.

It just sounded as if you were poised ready to run as soon as the other shoe dropped.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a snippet I took from an interview with Bill Clinton on ABC This Week, aired yesterday.

"What Americans need to understand is that ... every single day of the year, our government goes into the market and borrows money from other countries to finance Iraq,
Afghanistan, Katrina, and our tax cuts," he said.

"We have never done this before. Never in the history of our republic have we ever financed a conflict, military conflict, by borrowing money from somewhere else."

Clinton added: "We depend on Japan, China, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and Korea primarily to basically loan us money every day of the year to cover my tax cut and these conflicts and Katrina. I don't think it makes any sense."

I must admit I didn't know this. And that scares me. Not just the fact that I didn't know that, but the fact itself. I hate to be hogging the doomsday sign, but my god, where are we going to be by the time Bush gets out of office. :scared:
Is this not like selling war bonds?

I think there's someone on here in international finance so I'm sure they'll correct me but......

Is this not normal for a country to take loans from other countries? Are the Japanese and Chinese interest rates so low that buying US Treasury bonds are a better investment?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:38 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Then why make the comment you did in response to my initial posting?

Well, I'm hoping I'll be in the U.K.

It just sounded as if you were poised ready to run as soon as the other shoe dropped.
I was just being literal .... you asked, "my god, where are we going to be by the time Bush gets out of office.?" [notice I cut the rest of your post out]. I was merely going off on a tangent in response to that one part of your question.

I can't stand George Bush but I wouldn't leave the US just because of him. Close to none of my over 1,000 posts have had anything to do with Goerge Bush, which just about sums up how connected he is with me hoping I'll be home within the next year.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 1:07 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

This very issue was on a West Wing rerun I watched tonight. How 70 percent of US bonds were owned by countries like Japan........
Old Sep 20th 2005, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was just being literal .... you asked, "my god, where are we going to be by the time Bush gets out of office.?" [notice I cut the rest of your post out]. I was merely going off on a tangent in response to that one part of your question.

I can't stand George Bush but I wouldn't leave the US just because of him. Close to none of my over 1,000 posts have had anything to do with Goerge Bush, which just about sums up how connected he is with me hoping I'll be home within the next year.
Ah, the written word strikes again. I don't think I've read too many of your posts, certainly not anything close to the number you've quoted.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Is this not like selling war bonds?

I think there's someone on here in international finance so I'm sure they'll correct me but......

Is this not normal for a country to take loans from other countries? Are the Japanese and Chinese interest rates so low that buying US Treasury bonds are a better investment?
Hmmm.....well not sure if its like war bonds. But the fact that money has to be borrowed for a war not wholly supported by everyone is more than a bit worrying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.