British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Did You Know.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/did-you-know-326840/)

AmerLisa Sep 19th 2005 8:56 pm

Did You Know....

Here's a snippet I took from an interview with Bill Clinton on ABC This Week, aired yesterday.

"What Americans need to understand is that ... every single day of the year, our government goes into the market and borrows money from other countries to finance Iraq,
Afghanistan, Katrina, and our tax cuts," he said.

"We have never done this before. Never in the history of our republic have we ever financed a conflict, military conflict, by borrowing money from somewhere else."

Clinton added: "We depend on Japan, China, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and Korea primarily to basically loan us money every day of the year to cover my tax cut and these conflicts and Katrina. I don't think it makes any sense."

I must admit I didn't know this. And that scares me. Not just the fact that I didn't know that, but the fact itself. I hate to be hogging the doomsday sign, but my god, where are we going to be by the time Bush gets out of office. :eek: :scared: :eek:

snowbunny Sep 19th 2005 8:58 pm

Re: Did You Know....

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

Clinton added: "We depend on Japan, China, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and Korea primarily to basically loan us money every day of the year to cover my tax cut and these conflicts and Katrina. I don't think it makes any sense."[/I]

I must admit I didn't know this. And that scares me. Not just the fact that I didn't know that, but the fact itself. I hate to be hogging the doomsday sign, but my god, where are we going to be by the time Bush gets out of office. :eek: :scared: :eek:

This was true before the conflict simply based upon our thirst for oil. If China and Japan decide not to lend us any more money, and call in their debts, we're toast. Burnt toast.

dunroving Sep 19th 2005 9:22 pm

.... my god, where are we going to be by the time Bush gets out of office. :eek: :scared: :eek:

Well, I'm hoping I'll be in the U.K. :D

snowbunny Sep 19th 2005 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving

I'm hoping I will have a way out if/when this happens.

AmerLisa Sep 19th 2005 9:24 pm

Good for you....but do you really think there is anywhere to hide from this catastrophe?

snowbunny Sep 19th 2005 9:27 pm

Good for you....but do you really think there is anywhere to hide from this catastrophe?

You're right that it will have a domino effect on the world's economy -- which is precisely *why* the Japanese and Chinese haven't cut us off -- yet. There won't be any place to hide, per se, but there will be better places and worse places. Those places that are the most self-sufficient and which still retain the materials and skilled labour to manufacture goods we use everyday, will be best prepared. That also goes for individual cities in the US..... if you are used to eating cranberries, for example, best to be in New England where they are grown.

britvic Sep 19th 2005 9:51 pm

Same here, much rather be in my own country even if thing's are bad.

vegas Sep 19th 2005 9:54 pm

If it all goes pear shaped then who do you think will be the losers. Certainly not America. We have all the goods and the foreigners have worthless bits of paper.

AmerLisa Sep 19th 2005 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Same here, much rather be in my own country even if thing's are bad.

Even if Iran pushes on with their nuclear programme? :eek:

Rompers Sep 19th 2005 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by vegas
If it all goes pear shaped then who do you think will be the losers. Certainly not America. We have all the goods and the foreigners have worthless bits of paper.

The US consumes $700bn a year more "goods" than it makes. It covers this gap by issuing bits of paper. If the "bits of paper" become worthless then you better get used to doing without $700bn worth of stuff.
And since the federal government will no longer be able to borrow, you better get used to paying a lot more tax too.

Sarah Sep 19th 2005 10:26 pm

Here's a snippet I took from an interview with Bill Clinton on ABC This Week, aired yesterday.

"What Americans need to understand is that ... every single day of the year, our government goes into the market and borrows money from other countries to finance Iraq,
Afghanistan, Katrina, and our tax cuts," he said.

"We have never done this before. Never in the history of our republic have we ever financed a conflict, military conflict, by borrowing money from somewhere else."

Clinton added: "We depend on Japan, China, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and Korea primarily to basically loan us money every day of the year to cover my tax cut and these conflicts and Katrina. I don't think it makes any sense."

Last night I went to see "Lord of War" at the cinema with my husband I must admit I didn't really want to go that much because I thought it was going to be a bit of a guys flick, action type thing. I was dead wrong, it was scary in a real sense, I highly recommend everyone going to see it.
The way arms are traded all over the world is unbelievable. The US, UK, Russia, China, Japan and France are the worlds biggest arms makers and dealers. I know most people will have an idea of this anyway but this film hits you between the eyes with the grim reality of selling guns to the world.
A must see.

Triumphrob Sep 19th 2005 10:46 pm

You and me both! Its getting out of hand..
Rob

AmerLisa Sep 19th 2005 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
You and me both! Its getting out of hand..
Rob

What? Gas prices? War in Iraq? Cost of living? Oh I forgot the UK is Utopia and nothing bad happens there. :rolleyes: Its one thing to go back to the UK because you're homesick, but it's an entirely other matter when you're running away to avoid the world at large.

britvic Sep 19th 2005 11:03 pm

What? Gas prices? War in Iraq? Cost of living? Oh I forgot the UK is Utopia and nothing bad happens there. :rolleyes: Its one thing to go back to the UK because you're homesick, but it's an entirely other matter when you're running away to avoid the world at large.

I'v been home sick for three bloody long year's :mad: So what's upset you some of us just saying we are or we'er going home, come what may!!!

TouristTrap Sep 19th 2005 11:18 pm

Pennsylvania and long dark dresses will seem more appealing if it ever happens.... ;)